Anyone else not get that warm fuzzy feeling when watching war movies?

Imalive

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was just watching the movie Fury and the ending just made me think all those solders were idiots. People needlessly dieing for their country does not give me a feeling of patriotism or make me admire those people, I feel sorry for them for being such idiots.

Was just watching the movie Fury and the ending just made me think all those solders were idiots. People needlessly dieing for their country does not give me a feeling of patriotism or make me admire those people, I feel sorry for them for being such idiots.

The whole point of the movie was to instill a feeling of dread and misery. It's not a patriotic movie at all. It's about the loss of that young man's innocence and the horrors of war and how it ruins man.

War is hell. Anyone who thinks it's cool or awesome clearly hasn't experienced it. For a while after I got back from Iraq, I tried to avoid violent movies and war movies. I already relive that shit daily, I didn't need a reminder. After trying for years, I've found that there's violence in everything. It's nearly impossible to not watch violent movies. Even our comedies have people die, they just don't show the gore. So I gave up.

Humans are violent creatures. War is hell.

I got a buddy who broke it down why he didn't like military films. Having served in the military, he says he feels it's too disrespectful to illustrate the lives and deaths of servicemen. He thinks military events within the last two hundred years should be excluded from film based on lack of accuracy and rhetorical over-dramatization. Things that shouldn't be glorified are made into spectacle while the real experience is rarely given real honor.

Slowing down a German blitz or even making a battalion waste fuel idling wouldn't have been pointless in WWII.

I don't know. Downfall still manages to bring a few tears to the eyes.

Slowing down a German blitz or even making a battalion waste fuel idling woultdn't have been pointless in WWII.
Meh...my life is worth a lot more than having the enemy waste fuel. Those guys were idiots.

I got a buddy who broke it down why he didn't like military films. Having served in the military, he says he feels it's too disrespectful to illustrate the lives and deaths of servicemen. He thinks military events within the last two hundred years should be excluded from film based on lack of accuracy and rhetorical over-dramatization. Things that shouldn't be glorified are made into spectacle while the real experience is rarely given real honor.

I can tell you that it's definitely insulting to watch people make millions off the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts with shitty movies while men and women are still serving and dying there. It's fucking crazy. Hollywood feels the need to make a movie about any horrible event. If there's a tragedy, then they'll try to profit off it.

Sounds pretty un-American to me, maybe you should go back to Sweden and hang out with all the other hippy communists.

Meh...my life is worth a lot more than having the enemy waste fuel. Those guys were idiots.

How many allied lives were saved because the Germans ran out of fuel at Stalingrad?

<mma4>Fair enough.
But in your opinion, how much is it worth, the life of a man who is willing to die, for people like you to live peacefully, not fearing the wolves?

Naked-gun-Frank-Drebin-Leslie-Nielsen-laughing-platoon-1382708322r.gif

The whole point of the movie was to instill a feeling of dread and misery. It's not a patriotic movie at all. It's about the loss of that young man's innocence and the horrors of war and how it ruins man.

War is hell. Anyone who thinks it's cool or awesome clearly hasn't experienced it. For a while after I got back from Iraq, I tried to avoid violent movies and war movies. I already relive that shit daily, I didn't need a reminder. After trying for years, I've found that there's violence in everything. It's nearly impossible to not watch violent movies. Even our comedies have people die, they just don't show the gore. So I gave up.

Humans are violent creatures. War is hell.

I used to love war movies and find them full of heroism and glory and found them incredibly entertaining. Then I watched Band or Brothers and heard the guys they interviewed. Even all those decades later those men broke down in tears when they recalled the horrible events and the deaths of their friends. I still watch war movies but I've changed my tone from "Sweet, look at all this shooting and killing and badass war stuff" to "this shit is kind of depressing and I feel for any man or woman who has had to go through this"

I do not like WW2 movies because the site I am rooting for always loses.
But I do like "Man in the high castle" because the righteous side won.

Sounds pretty un-American to me, maybe you should go back to Sweden and hang out with all the other hippy communists.
Meh, I'm not really American I just live here.

Back