Anyone else miss "server lists?"

Bornstarch

Holy Paladin
@Brown
Reaction score
Back when you played an online game like Counter-Strike, TFC, etc.. you clicked on Multiplayer and it showed you a list of servers, how many people are playing in it and your latency. People would rent or run their own servers, and you played with a community of people that played mainly on that server.

I just played the new Counter Strike and like every other multiplayer game out there, the game itself runs the servers and you get randomly put in a game with random people unless you're playing with a friend

There's no sense of community. Back then, the old servers would have a community of people and most of the time, also have their own message board/forum outside of the game that ran for years and years... over time getting less active and eventually dying.

The ONLY remaining forum I used to go to that's barely active nowadays but is still up is Chips Fun House, an old Team Fortress Classic community

http://www.chipsfunhouse.com/forum/index.php

I just played the new Counter Strike and like every other multiplayer game out there, the game itself runs the servers and you get randomly put in a game with random people unless you're playing with a friend

CS2 community run servers are already up and running. You just need to know the IP. Workshop maps have also been released. But you need to manually download and install them currently.

Last month was the first time map and mod makers got access to developer tools. In-game the client doesnt fully support streamlined access yet. Compounding matters is that the developer tools are brand new under a new engine with limited documentation. At CSGO's release porting from previous CS titles worked. With CS2 porting doesnt work and things need to designed from scratch.

Flashback to COD4....

Had a few Custom Mod/Map servers I loved.

The user made mods and maps were amazing.

There was one that auto-leveled you so all the weapons and gear was immediately available.

There was something special when a new map was put out by a team. Some were crazy good.

Everyone was on equal footing since the map was new for everyone.

I was thinking of hopping back into Battlefield 4, I'm pretty sure that still used sever lists? I haven't played a MP FPS game in a long time.

Looks like they're finally gone for good in UT99.

<DCrying>

I miss having to wait to get into the good SOCOM servers

@Bornstarch

Update that was pushed to CS2 an hour ago made publishing CS2 community servers visible through the Steam client server browser.

Back