Anybody play Shin on shin guard?

trustdoesntrust

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've been experimenting a lot lately with shin on shin guard. I initially started playing with it as a knee cut counter to get to single x, but after watching BJJ Scout's Michelle Nicolini study, I've started to expand. A big thing I've noticed is that the shin lever acts as a defacto butterfly hook any time an opponent decides to press in to you, which enables all sorts of sweeps and offbalacing attacks. Anybody out there play this guard and have any insight? I'm still trying to master where to place my shin-side grip, and also precise transitions to some of Michelle's attacks like the ankle lock and triangle. Also curious about things you can do if you get the koala grip after sitting up.

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with it for some time now (and yes, I also use the Nicolini vid for tips). I primarily use DLR to transition to it, works ok so far. What I like about it is that it works great with the seated butterfly which I primarily use.

Sadly my coach doesnt use this guard so I follow online vids (Scully's) to build on it.

Yes
Mostly for nogi and a transition to single x guard

Sometimes I add it to sit up up guard to complete a sweep.

I need to play more of this guard...

Indeed. I'm so far finding it an indispensible bridge between butterfly and 1LX. The shin on shin hook is a great elevator against aggressive smash passers who you can't otherwise enter butterfly guard against (or don't want to). And against standing passers you can do the classic shin on shin entry to 1LX, or play the hybrid spider/shin without worrying about overcommitting and getting countered.

I've been experimenting with it for some time now (and yes, I also use the Nicolini vid for tips). I primarily use DLR to transition to it, works ok so far. What I like about it is that it works great with the seated butterfly which I primarily use.

Sadly my coach doesnt use this guard so I follow online vids (Scully's) to build on it.

Nice. I'm still trying to master where to place all my grips and where all the leverage points are, but it's getting there. A big thing I've recently figured out against the knee slice is to use a deep overhook to grab the kneecap, pinch my knees, and hug my body tight to the slicing knee, with my far arm ready to either add extra reinforcement or already working for a lapel/collar grip. Then after I insert the shin hook I drive my weight directly under and elevate up toward my head, before grabbing the far lapel and pulling my opponent that way (as opposed to kicking out first). Seems to work well against larger opponents.

People at my gym and in competition use this guard on me regularly because it works well against someone who smashes or eliminates inversion options. Pretty annoying when guys are good at it.

i use it from time to time/ you really have to stick to learning the movement they are left to doing with it. i use it more so to get into deep half or xguard. but its effective if you keep the persons knee off the mat when they try to slice.

i use it from time to time/ you really have to stick to learning the movement they are left to doing with it. i use it more so to get into deep half or xguard. but its effective if you keep the persons knee off the mat when they try to slice.

Sup Bother! I see You killing it at the special events in Philly!

Probably the main guard I use and I love with with a pant grip

The stuff I hit most commonly are elevation to Slx, punch sweep when they resist the elevation to slx and knee bar entry/back take/scramble type sweep when they bring their legs together to avoid being put into slx.

I don’t really do the spider guard stuff with it. More butterfly and using shin to shin to get dhg or single legs depending on reactions. I also like to elevate people like a butterfly sweep but attack triangles and arm drags knowing they gonna post out of it

I love this guard (because of bjjscout as well) whenever I can get the grips. Once you have it, it's pretty unstoppable.

I do have a hard time with some defenses though. One way some guys will defend is they will step back far with their free leg and I can't control it. Then I get taken out of base. I'm sure there's another transition, most likely just come up to a single or to slx, but sometimes I get so damn stubborn if I want something that I lose sight of other options. Anyone encounter this? Are the transitions I listed above the correct way?

I love this guard (because of bjjscout as well) whenever I can get the grips. Once you have it, it's pretty unstoppable.

I do have a hard time with some defenses though. One way some guys will defend is they will step back far with their free leg and I can't control it. Then I get taken out of base. I'm sure there's another transition, most likely just come up to a single or to slx, but sometimes I get so damn stubborn if I want something that I lose sight of other options. Anyone encounter this? Are the transitions I listed above the correct way?
The main thing if they step back with the free leg is to single leg, yes.

That or roll up on your shoulder and kanibasami. That’s the one I do.

I like it, I've used it for years mostly to enter into SLX. I will warn you, you have to watch out for guys with good Mendes styles legwork, because this guard is somewhat subject to floating passing with leg redirection. That's not a reason you shouldn't play it though, any guard can be passed. It's still a very effective position for getting under people.

One of my coaches plays mostly Spider, Collar & Sleeve & X but started playing with Nicolini's version when that BJJ Scout breakdown came out and got really good at it. It is a total pain to defend and pass when the spider leg and hook are really active and working together, you can't pressure forward and backing out off the shin hook just leads to him going to Collar & Sleeve with the shin-hook foot on the hip. You might want to play a bit with a few options from there too to add to the mix.

Indeed. I'm so far finding it an indispensible bridge between butterfly and 1LX. The shin on shin hook is a great elevator against aggressive smash passers who you can't otherwise enter butterfly guard against (or don't want to). And against standing passers you can do the classic shin on shin entry to 1LX, or play the hybrid spider/shin without worrying about overcommitting and getting countered.
I like the way you described it, a bridge between butterfly and single leg x. I first started using it as an answer to standing passers.

I like the way you described it, a bridge between butterfly and single leg x. I first started using it as an answer to standing passers.
That's how I use it too. This position as a "bridge" like you're calling it has been so helpful for me against standing passers. I'm not sure if you play deep half or not. I know it's not very fashionable at the moment but it's also a fantastic way to get underneath their base for deep half if they're passing from combat base or if they're knee slice passing and they aren't too far into it yet.

Back