Anybody a fan of Major Junior Hockey

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Anybody a fan of major junior hockey? What is your favorite team?

Man I cant help but feel sorry for some of the kids. They are quite young like 17-19, and they have to move to such bleak places if they are unlucky.

You have teams like Baie Comeau, Rimousky, Bathurst, Prince Albert, Cranbrook, Brandon, Rouyn Noranda, Val d' Ors, Prince George. How do these teams even generate enough revenue to stay at those locations? Those kids must be virtual celebs in those towns. The local HS girls must be throwing themselves at the players.

I guess that is why the OHL seems to have the best players. There is incentive to stay for an extra year of development since most of the teams are not located in such bleak surroundings. If I was playing at one of those remote teams, I be bolting as soon as someone drafts me.

Even the US junior system has teams like that. The NAHL has teams in Amarillo TX, Corpus Christie, Fairbanks AK, Springfield IL, South and North Dakotas.

Fairbanks, AK actually has a junior team in the NAHL? Travelling expenses must be through the roof. Why wouldn't a place like that lobby for a team in the Dub instead of the NAHL?

And to answer your question. I'm a fan of CHL but I definitely don't follow a specific team, but rather the top prospects (wherever they may be). Agree on the bleak locations comment. That's why the cream of the crop prospects often refuse to report to the remotely located teams and force trades (Nathan Mackinnon comes to mind).

when i lived in halifax i'd go to 5-6 mooseheads games a year

drouin & mackinnon were rather entertaining together the year we won the memorial cup

i'd like to go to a 67s game sometime but i have sens season seats

Fairbanks, AK actually has a junior team in the NAHL? Travelling expenses must be through the roof. Why wouldn't a place like that lobby for a team in the Dub instead of the NAHL?

And to answer your question. I'm a fan of CHL but I definitely don't follow a specific team, but rather the top prospects (wherever they may be). Agree on the bleak locations comment. That's why the cream of the crop prospects often refuse to report to the remotely located teams and force trades (Nathan Mackinnon comes to mind).

Yep, they even have a college hockey team. Maybe they fly in and out on cargo planes or military transports to save money (they have an installation nearby)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks_Ice_Dogs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Nanooks

when i lived in halifax i'd go to 5-6 mooseheads games a year

drouin & mackinnon were rather entertaining together the year we won the memorial cup

i'd like to go to a 67s game sometime but i have sens season seats

These games are probably as entertaining as Div1A football in the states. These kids are all playing for a pro spot somewhere. Is there still fighting? I want to come to Quebec this winter and check out a game.

And LOL at Nathan Mackinnon. What team was he suppose to play for before the Mooseheads?

Never mind Mackinnon suppose to go to Baie Comeau. His excuse is he no speakie French. He is lucky. The few living sentients souls in that part of the world dont speak anything but French. He'd have a hard enough time just finding people up there to converse with.

Never mind Mackinnon suppose to go to Baie Comeau. His excuse is he no speakie French. He is lucky. The few living sentients souls in that part of the world dont speak anything but French. He'd have a hard enough time just finding people up there to converse with.

Yeah it was BC. He comes to mind first but lots of players come to mind. Lindros being the most famous example. I believe the Soo drafted him, but he refused to report and got traded to Oshawa. Then there's guys like Taylor Hall and Angelo Esposito (hah), who told teams in advance of the draft "don't pick me because I won't report", and they fall a few spots until a team they made pre-arrangements with can select them. It's all very greasy, in my opinion.

So I did get a chance to check out a game in victoriaville against Cape Breton. The Arena is kind of dinky. I have been to the rink in Blainville and that too is not spectacular. I am sure the Remparts have it the best as they play in the Colisee Pepsi. There was poutine so that is good.

Anyways I got a programme with the entire season schedule for the Victoriaville Tigres. I notice, they often play games Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at different locations. And no games on Monday through Thursday except maybe one or two. That is horrible. I see why many canadiens opt for American College first to gauge their skill and get noticed, and then jumping to CHL. If teams like them, they spend one season in CHL and get drafted.

Grew up in Oshawa, so naturally I'm a Generals fan. My dad used to go see Bobby Orr play with his dad and took me to see Eric Lindros when I was a boy. Being such a storied franchise it's a staple in the community. Great entertainment for cheap.

Anyone following the memorial cup playoffs. The Qmjhl rep (St John NB) got smoked by the Ontario rep (Erie Otters).

Anyone following the memorial cup playoffs. The Qmjhl rep (St John NB) got smoked by the Ontario rep (Erie Otters).
yup. still stung from when erie KO'd the knights in game 7 of the second round of the ohl playoffs

Back