Any Sherdog Chemists?

ToxicShocker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I just got home and I'm out of E-juice for my vaporizer. I buy all the ingredients online and mix up 2-6 oz batches that last like a month or so. Tonight something wierd happened. All the ingredients are either clear or a slight amber color. I mixed 12 mil of four flavors. All are some combination of flavor concentrates in alcohol, propylene glycol or vegetable glycerine. I then added 6mils of 48mg nicotine diluted in PG. I then added 12 mils of PG and 30 mils of VG.

The VG makes the mix too thick to use a large syringe. I use the syringe to transfer it to smaller bottles. I looked around for something within arms reach to stir the batch with. If I stir it the PG will thin the VG so I can pick the whole thing up with a syringe.

I had it in a glass pyrex measuring cup and found a 12" brass rod to stir it with. After stirring for maybe a minute I checked it to see how mixed it was and there was fucking blue in it.

Like a thin 2 mil layer of bright electric blue (maybe violet im colorblind).

Where did that come from?

Prolly the copper in the bronze, hesher.

Sort of...

I'm into pharmaceutical chemistry.

I just checked a chemical compatibility chart and its says VG, PG, and ethyl alcohol do not react to copper or brass.

What flavors did you use? Anything fruity, or sour? Some flavors have malic and/or citric acid in them, which will react with copper.

Skittles, caramel, green apple, and fruit loops. I like the citrus bite so im sure there is some in it.

Found it! From a forum about people taking care of their home espresso machines.

http://www.home-barista.com/levers/blue-water-after-descaling-t29702.html
The usual reason for blue water after descaling is as follows. I am sorry I have to write like a chemistry professor here, but here goes.

The surfaces of many metals react very rapidly with air to produce an "oxide coat". For iron this is bad, because iron (Fe) has two stable valences, II and III. The Fe2+ reacts basically as a catalyst to rust! Most other metals, however, do not do this. The oxide coat is very insoluble, at least in neutral water, and protects the surface from further oxidation. Chromium, aluminium, titanium, and nickel are example of metals that form very stable oxide coats. Copper forms oxide coats too. Copper oxide is soluble in strongly acidic solutions, and in strongly basic solutions a slow but highly destructive corrosion can occur similar to rusting, but involving Cu2O and CuO. I once was on Sabbatical leave with research funds provided by a copper company, if I recall correctly, the copper oxide coats are most stable in VERY slightly basic water, about pH 8.

When you put copper with an oxide coat into acidic solutions, you dissolve the protective layer. Dissolved Cu2+ is a blue colour. (If you were to add ammonia to it, you would see it become a really beautiful bright blue.)

There are conditions, I am not sure what they are that results in corrosion of copper under CaCO3 scale producing lots of CuCO3. It might be catalysed by traces of chloride? This can produce a LOT of Cu2+! The tube on one of my Europiccolas is rough from its having been corroded that way when I got it several years ago.

So here is the culprit ladies and gentlemen. Dissolved copper oxide.

Dl9SPMJ.jpg

What was the "something within arms reach"?

thinly veiled meth lab kit thread

Apparently its copper, I thought it was brass. Its a 12" x 1/4" copper rod I bought to make the pins for knife handles.

So what will you use next time? Should always go over every detail before you start, so shit like this doesn't happen.

So what will you use next time? Should always go over every detail before you start, so shit like this doesn't happen.
I'm not too worried about the chemical contamination. I can see a slight blue tinge in the bottles but can't taste it. I guess next time I'll just use a spoon from the kitchen.

This shouldn't have been a mystery to me. I made a copper topped table for someone and while looking into what kind of finishes are possible I remember hearing about the blue green patina from acid etches. I went with a "bluing" from gun blue (which is actually black).

Apparently its copper, I thought it was brass. Its a 12" x 1/4" copper rod I bought to make the pins for knife handles.

oOPb2zm.jpg

Damn bruh, you got some nice steel. I just spent the last couple of minutes thinking about how I would kill people with each. I think I will go stand in front of the mirror with my knives to fantasize and work on my murderers monologue now. Clothes off obviously.

giphy.gif

The fourth one from the left is like a tailored suit. The curve gives it a unique feel and the balance is perfect. I don't have a use for any of em, but that one is my favorite. I wouldn't sell it for $200.

I've tried making another one but the tang angle is hard to find