Any PS4 games this year better than last year's Horizon: Zero Dawn?

I felt the same way and for a few of the same reasons, but the overwhelming consensus is that 2017 was one of the best years for games in a long while. Pick a gaming podcast and you'll likely hear the same thing.

It's not just a few posters here saying this. I haven't played a Nintendo game in something like 20 years, but you can't really dismiss them when talking about the quality of releases during a year. Especially when their two biggest franchises released in that same year to universal fanfare and praise (even by Mario and Zelda standards).

you misread/misinterpreted.

i was hardly dismissing nintendo, but i don't think a few games makes for a great year in gaming. and 2013 wasn't THAT long ago. game quality only took a massive dump since the current-gen era.

You're such a tryhard lol.

You left out the other part of my description though, massive critical and commercial successes. Which is a good indicator that they were excellent games across the board.

Keep being miserable.

...such as? like i said, a FEW games =/= 'one of the best years in gaming'

but it's funny to mention critics in the gamergate era. it's as if there was a rather large scandal about that... i mean, it's as if i "left out" that part for a reason that's a dead horse, or something.
U sound like a giant old sourpuss reminiscing your glory ga,omg days on the original Xbox.

U stay upset/bored/retarded and everyone else will simply enjoy all these awesome games..kthankxbye

wow, you sure told me.

<YeahOKJen>

edit: it's pretty funny how there have been numerous threads about the lack of quality recently, as well as the scourge of DLCs and unfinished games being released...

and you know, in 2017.

Last edited:
you misread/misinterpreted.
I didn't. I focused on Nintendo as an example, but the point is simply that your estimate of there only being a few good games last year is inaccurate when you look at critical and fan reception. Again, it's fine if you feel that way, but the gaming community at large doesn't seem to agree with you (or with me).

wow, you sure told me.

<YeahOKJen>

edit: it's pretty funny how there have been numerous threads about the lack of quality recently, as well as the scourge of DLCs and unfinished games being released...

and you know, in 2017.

numerous threads? from a handful of players who haven't found a game they like and that means it's been a few bad years for gamers? get over yourself. the majority of us are loving it in this era of gaming.

tons of great new games are out. if you can't find anything to play maybe you're no longer a gamer and need to find a new hobby. there's a great game for any and everyone. if its not with the 3 consoles its with the PC.

I dont know why yall arguing with this idiot. He hasnt played the games, yet has the authority to say its been a crap year. His opinion doesnt matter anyways in the big picture.

I played Horizon immediately before starting GoW and I can say for me personally it's not close. GoW has been a much greater experience for me. And Horizon is a very good game.

In my book Horizon was an 8.5 and GoW is a 9.5

numerous threads? from a handful of players who haven't found a game they like and that means it's been a few bad years for gamers? get over yourself. the majority of us are loving it in this era of gaming.

tons of great new games are out. if you can't find anything to play maybe you're no longer a gamer and need to find a new hobby. there's a great game for any and everyone. if its not with the 3 consoles its with the PC.

i'm surprised you have time to play games since you seem to be hooked on playing jump to conclusions.

I dont know why yall arguing with this idiot. He hasnt played the games, yet has the authority to say its been a crap year. His opinion doesnt matter anyways in the big picture.

a+ logic. one definitely needs to spend ~$60/game and buy every game to have an opinion. who are you, ea?

hurr durr, we have to play something to have an opinion! it's not like we can see ample footage of the shit on youtube or something. one definitely can't form an opinion that way! buy our loot boxes! you didn't buy them? you can't have an opinion on them, then! neener-neener!

i'm surprised you have time to play games since you seem to be hooked on playing jump to conclusions.

a+ logic. one definitely needs to spend ~$60/game and buy every game to have an opinion. who are you, ea?

hurr durr, we have to play something to have an opinion! it's not like we can see ample footage of the shit on youtube or something. one definitely can't form an opinion that way! buy our loot boxes! you didn't buy them? you can't have an opinion on them, then! neener-neener!
Shut the hell up, Robert.

Finally quoting me dumbo.

Firstly, I never said you couldnt have an opinion on games. You dont even need to play them to have an opinion.

But no one should care about someone's opinion on something. We just dont care for your opinion, end of story. Go ahead with your life. Stop masquerading as if your opinion is the opinion of the masses, its not.

P.S. the best games of 2017 didnt have micro transactions or lootboxes. I cant think of one that did.

Monster Hunter World is one of the best games I have ever played.
Is it honestly this good?

I like those types of games played the beta and he just seemed so fucking glitch (I know it's beta).

Been really tempted to pick it up cause fuck it but the reviews I'm reading it's like I've just missed out on on of the best games of all time?

Finally quoting me dumbo.

Firstly, I never said you couldnt have an opinion on games. You dont even need to play them to have an opinion.

not really. you said: "He hasnt played the games, yet has the authority to say its been a crap year"

context. so either the first sentence was just irrelevant trash that you said for literally no reason... or it was part of the context... that you just backpedaled on. good job!

But no one should care about someone's opinion on something. We just dont care for your opinion, end of story. Go ahead with your life. Stop masquerading as if your opinion is the opinion of the masses, its not.

P.S. the best games of 2017 didnt have micro transactions or lootboxes. I cant think of one that did.

so many fallacies, so few words.

i don't recall saying my opinion is that of the masses... or even remotely implying such. ever.

"the best games of 2017" was like 7 total. and you even cited resident evil in there. haha. but this wasn't the point - best year in gaming =/= the best games of the year. goalposts moved into another stadium, entirely.
Shut the hell up, Robert.

make me

I didn't. I focused on Nintendo as an example, but the point is simply that your estimate of there only being a few good games last year is inaccurate when you look at critical and fan reception. Again, it's fine if you feel that way, but the gaming community at large doesn't seem to agree with you (or with me).

...ok? now i conceded the 2 from nintendo, persona 5 (i don't like rpgs, but i hear it's great), and cuphead. hell, i could even play devil's advocate and say that all of those listed were good... that's all it takes now?

there weren't many others on the list, and they don't have much critical acclaim. ~8 on metacritic from pros, ~7.5 userscore. ie: resident evil 7, uncharted. are 'ehh, it's kinda good' games now all it takes to be "one of the best years in gaming ever?"

this isn't stellar "critical and fan reception." that only applies to literally a few games, just as i said.

better than 2014-16? yeah, probably. but it's FAR from "one of the best years in gaming ever."

not really. you said: "He hasnt played the games, yet has the authority to say its been a crap year"
Oh you can have an opinion, doesnt mean you can go around and be the authority - "make decisions on whole years"- on why you think 2017 was not a stacked year.

Just because you can have an opinion, doesnt mean you can go round and start denouncing games. We dont have to take you seriously.

"the best games of 2017" was like 7 total. and you even cited resident evil in there. haha. but this wasn't the point - best year in gaming =/= the best games of the year.

I specifically mentioned more than 7 games and I even stated that there were way more that I was missing. Nice job, he scores. Oh it was an offside.

Games like iconoclasts etc I didnt even mentioned. I count 9.

You havent played Resi 7, end of story. Watching a playthrough on youtube is vastly different than experiencing the game. The game is iseven greater in VR.

BOW
Mario Odyssey,
Nier Automata
Resi 7
Uncharted LL
Horizon
Persona 5
Cuphead

Missing a bunch but holy fuck the year was stacked.

2013 wasn't THAT long ago. game quality only took a massive dump since the current-gen era.

You said 2013 wasnt that long ago, meaning you think it was stacked.

Outside of
TLOU
Bioshock Infinite
Papers please
GTA V
Mario
I missing 1 or 2.

and stinkers like Aliens Colonials, what makes that year more stacked than 2017it is?

Oh you can have an opinion, doesnt mean you can go around and be the authority - "make decisions on whole years"- on why you think 2017 was not a stacked year.

lolwut?

...when did i say i was "the authority?" oh, right. never.

Just because you can have an opinion, doesnt mean you can go round and start denouncing games.

<TrumpWrong1>
...actually, it does. believe it or not, literally anyone can 'denounce games.'

We dont have to take you seriously.

and yet... you have, anyway.

I specifically mentioned more than 7 games and I even stated that there were way more that I was missing. Nice job, he scores. Oh it was an offside.

Games like iconoclasts etc I didnt even mentioned. I count 9.

You havent played Resi 7, end of story. Watching a playthrough on youtube is vastly different than experiencing the game. The game is iseven greater in VR.

You said 2013 wasnt that long ago, meaning you think it was stacked.

Outside of
TLOU
Bioshock Infinite
Papers please
GTA V
Mario
I missing 1 or 2.

and stinkers like Aliens Colonials, what makes that year more stacked than 2017it is?

whoa, my bad. my guesstimate of 7 was off. it was... a whole 8. shocking! much difference! funny how you think being one off is worthy of criticism... 8 =/= 9, captain.

and i never said 2013 was stacked (see a pattern? you can't seem to make one relevant response). what i said was that it's been lousy during this whole current-gen era, so far. 2013 doesn't need to be stacked, just better.

"I missing 1 or 2" - yes, let's take this seriously. much seriously.

lolz @ VR. like hey, we have gigantic 4k tvs for pretty cheap, but i can't comment on resident evil 7 until i play it with a tiny screen strapped to my face!

Last edited:
lolz @ VR. like hey, we have gigantic 4k tvs for pretty cheap, but i can't comment on resident evil 7 until i play it with a tiny screen strapped to my face!
Im bored. Last comment to your pathetic ass.
Gimme a year with nearly a dozen stacked games. Most stacked years have an averge of 7-9 great games.

VR is the future, get with it boy.

that depends. are we calling mediocre ~7-8s "great," like you implied?

Playing this game now. It is really well done. I'm a little tired of open world games but this does it right IMO. Lots of fast travel points and a very very dense world so you can choose to just go mission to mission without feeling like it's tedious to get there, but if you do want to explore there is a ton of stuff to find and it never gets boring.

I love breath of the wild too but exploring can be tedious sometimes, the world can feel very empty in some spots. Don't get me wrong, they took a different approach to exploring and I loved it for different reasons, a world doesn't need to be littered with random loot and tons of enemies to be worthwhile, but occasionally I just found myself bored.

regarding God of War - so I have to have played the older games to appreciate it? I really didn't like them. This one looks more up my alley though.

Playing this game now. It is really well done. I'm a little tired of open world games but this does it right IMO. Lots of fast travel points and a very very dense world so you can choose to just go mission to mission without feeling like it's tedious to get there, but if you do want to explore there is a ton of stuff to find and it never gets boring.

I love breath of the wild too but exploring can be tedious sometimes, the world can feel very empty in some spots. Don't get me wrong, they took a different approach to exploring and I loved it for different reasons, a world doesn't need to be littered with random loot and tons of enemies to be worthwhile, but occasionally I just found myself bored.

regarding God of War - so I have to have played the older games to appreciate it? I really didn't like them. This one looks more up my alley though.

Nah, just spend 5 minutes watching a youtube video of a story summary

Something like this

Back