Any musicians up for a possible collaboration? (Funk/blues/jazz -ish)

jeff7b9

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
What's up y'all? Thanks for stopping by.

I'm working on an instrumental funk album and looking to bring some other musicians on to add some flavor. Sax/woodwinds, and guitar/mandolin, etc are instruments I think would fit well, but I am open to whatever, so long as it works musically.

I wrote/recorded 2 songs as a sort of prototype (see yt embedded below) so people could listen and assess if they would fit in stylistically. Ideally I'd like to record maybe a dozen or so songs over the next year or so.

I am having another major shoulder surgery in December with a fairly lengthy recovery process.

This project is a little bit therapeutic for me, along with being a bucket list item, as I have recorded several albums of dance music (trance-ish) but I love lots of different geners of music and Funk and improvisational music specifically and feel like it is a great vessel to showcase musical ideas.

If anyone happens to be interested respond or PM me with a sample of your playing. Doesn't need to be highly polished professionally shot, iPhone video of you jamming to a backing track in your basement is fine I just want to hear what you sound like and see if it would fit.

Yes. I like your stuff. Listening to the second tune ATM. It's 2am here so I won't play along now, but tomorrow, for sure.
I play acoustic, electric guitar, and a bit of ukulele. A bit of bass too, but don't own one. I can play very basic keys and drums, but don't own and don't think I'd ever be reasonable at either. I'm a terrible singer, but competent backing.
Also I play the kazoo along my acoustic, which is what I play 99% of the time. Been on a down and sparsely playing, but this turns me on.
How old are you?

Sneakin' in the speakeasy hah I like your style. Old school.
Edit: Is that a midi keyboard?
Edit 2: Jack & coke is really fun. There's room for a nicely composed guitar along that drum and bass. I'm enjoying it. Cheers man

Last edited:
Sneakin' in the speakeasy hah I like your style. Old school.
Edit: Is that a midi keyboard?
Edit 2: Jack & coke is really fun. There's room for a nicely composed guitar along that drum and bass. I'm enjoying it. Cheers man
Thanks for listening!

I'm 44.

Keyboard sounds you hear are from Logic ProX, yes played/triggered via midi.

Gameplan would be to bring people in on future songs and leave space for solos or call/response type of back and forth melodic content.

* Shorter phrasing is probably easier for me to use so I can get the melody to bounce around from instrument to instrument.

You could be the next Trammell Starks.
Just gave a listen to a few of his tracks...

Yeah, I dig it. I'll take that as a compliment. I will make it a point to check out more of those tracks.

Thanks for the tip.

There is a band I love called "Greyboy Allstars" - they have a sound which is very funk oriented with a bit of jazz flavor. I would be quite happy to write music that lands in a similar vibe. Especially when I bring sax players in.

Generally I prefer to sort of let the song go where it wants to go rather than force a specific genre. As I don't expect to make any money with these recordings I am trying to just focus on trying to make the best music I can for the pure enjoyment of creating music. By which I guess i am trying to say I am down to "get weird" with it and explore some mixes of genres and maybe a bit of experimental or psychedelic.

Last edited:
Just gave a listen to a few of his tracks...

Yeah, I dig it. I'll take that as a compliment. I will make it a point to check out more of those tracks.

Thanks for the tip.

There is a band I love called "Greyboy Allstars" - they have a sound which is very funk oriented with a bit of jazz flavor. I would be quite happy to write music that lands in a similar vibe. Especially when I bring sax players in.

Generally I prefer to sort of let the song go where it wants to go rather than force a specific genre. As I don't expect to make any money with these recordings I am trying to just focus on trying to make the best music I can for the pure enjoyment of creating music. By which I guess i am trying to say I am down to "get weird" with it and explore some mixes of genres and maybe a bit of experimental or psychedelic.

Greyboy Allstars. Haven’t heard that name for a while. Got one of their cds. Good stuff.
I was kinda making a joke cause he wrote the weather channel music back in the day. I did download it all and listen to it.
You ever get into the brand new heavies?

Last edited:
Greyboy Allstars. Haven’t heard that name for a while. Got one of their cds. Good stuff.
I was kinda making a joke cause he wrote the weather channel music back in the day. I did download it all and listen to it.
You ever get into the brand new heavies?
I can't say I "got into them" but I dig it.

I had recognized the name but couldn't really distinguish in memory between them and Deep Banana Blackout and a few other bands that I was briefly acquainted with but never courted sincerely.

Back