Any Judokas with Scoliosis??

TheAxVictim

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post here. I've loved martial arts since I can remember and want to start practicing Judo and/or Sambo this year. I know that Judo is especially hard on the back, so I was asking myself if there were any famous Judokas with scoliosis since I have it as well.

I'd also love to hear the personal experiences of sherdoggers with Scoliosis that have tried the sport. There's no need for medical advice, I know judo isn't the best choice and of course I'm going to visit a doctor before I start, just experiences if you will.

Funny that I had minor scoliosis that practically disappeared within last two years when I started training judo 3-5 times/week. My waistline gained about 4 inches from core muscles. I trained mostly BJJ for 3 years prior to that and did not observe changes like that. Judo is great for your back if you do not compete and stay away from idiots.

Funny that I had minor scoliosis that practically disappeared within last two years when I started training judo 3-5 times/week. My waistline gained about 4 inches from core muscles. I trained mostly BJJ for 3 years prior to that and did not observe changes like that. Judo is great for your back if you do not compete and stay away from idiots.

That's amazing. I didn't know that judo used so much core strength. Have you suffered any back injuries since you started training judo?

I have scoliosis that was just minor enough not to require intervention when I was growing up, but significant enough that every time I've visited a chiropractor their first reaction is "wtf why is your spine crooked?" I've done 12 years of Aikido (100,000+ breakfalls) and 9 years of BJJ with no related back problems.

My knees and hips, on the other hand...

Have you suffered any back injuries since you started training judo?
I've only met one guy with neck injury so far. During competing he went for head-diving uchi mata (banned by rules) and landed on his neck.

There are inevitable minor injuries like sprains, bruises, abrasions. If you are unlucky you may break fingers or toes. Fight hard for grips and you get arthritis. Rotator cuff problems is very common, but can be avoided with exercise and working on technique. Competition gives you 100x more chances to get injured. But even if you to not compete expect lots of PAIN in the beginning, especially if you are old.

Back