Any homeschoolers? Guys with College Wrestling background?

ThePainFactory

I train Ninjas
@Blue
Reaction score
We moved a couple years ago. The move and lifestyle change made it where we were able to home schooled our child. Like me he had hated school. Home school was something he really looked forward to. I knew (hoped) at some point he would want to go to public school so he could continue to develop social and relationship skills he my not get otherwise. Fast forward to now.

My son decided he would like to return to public school about a month ago. Yelp, he is at the age were the call of the wild is kicking in. When we went back to school they did a MAP test with him to determine what grade he should be in. I had spoke with them about grade placement before hand and asked that he be placed in 5th grade. That is the grade age wise he should be in as well as the grade his friends are in.

The MAP testing had him at a 9th grade level or above in all subjects. Without consulting us they placed him in 7th grade. I have protested his placement but it hasn't done any good. One of my concerns is that this school has wrestling. His old school did. My son has been raised doing submission grappling since birth. He is really looking forward to a chance to be on the wrestling team.

It is really bothering me that he is losing 2 years of wrestling. Am I wrong in thinking this will, for all practical purposes, make it impossible for him to advance past high school in wrestling?

Rant over... If you think I am blowing this out of proportion let me know. I'm a big boy. When it comes to my kids sometimes I get a little over protective.

well hes been grapplling since birth so hed prob do better than youde think vs theother kids

I'm thinking if he's been doing submission grappling since birth he probably kills everyone and gets an all American scholarship for also being the smartest kid in school.

Should be no worries....except the girls who are now about 6 years more mature

I'm thinking if he's been doing submission grappling since birth he probably kills everyone and gets an all American scholarship for also being the smartest kid in school.

Should be no worries....except the girls who are now about 6 years more mature

I'm sure he'll do okay but as a father I want him to have every opportunity to be the best he can be. He still pretty small 5'5 110 lbs. He's also going to miss a couple years that he would have had growing and developing physically.

then hold him back if u fear he wont do as well tbh unless hes trying to be a d1 college wrestler i think its dumb to hold him back because your holding 2 years of his life back that he could use for college at 16 rather than 18 as most kids when they graduate

No. Even in middle school a giant portion of the schools roster is usually just starting. When I used to coach kids wrestling we had a kid start as an 8th grader and a few years later he recieved a wrestling scholarship to university of Illinois. Where he would win a big 10 title. His name was Mario Gonzalez he also qualified for the national tournament a few times. My point is every kid is different. Just make sure the kid goes out and has fun with the sport and the kids that he’s on the team with.
Also during the off-season if he wrestles the tournaments go by your age not your grade. Something to think about​

You have to look at his age. If he turns 19 during school, he cant compete in folkstyle or freestyle.

I'm sure he'll do okay but as a father I want him to have every opportunity to be the best he can be. He still pretty small 5'5 110 lbs. He's also going to miss a couple years that he would have had growing and developing physically.

I might be remembering incorrectly but I think at 10 years old I was like 68 lbs. I didn't reach your son's size until 8th grade (about 120 lbs at exit).

I'm now taller than average and middle weight, so I think your son shouldn't be considered small lol.

The only thing I am concerned about is weight cutting before finishing the growing years... like to hear others' experiences.

How old is he? Is this america? Man my son has kids that are literally 2 years older. The parents went to the school and said lister, emotionally he is not as mature as the next 2 grades so we need him to be here. We all know it's for sports but they do. You can absolutely point to studies where even though intelligence is at a higher grade emotional development will put him in a weird place going to school 2 grades higher . Why don't they try 1 grade higher first

How old is he? Is this america? Man my son has kids that are literally 2 years older. The parents went to the school and said lister, emotionally he is not as mature as the next 2 grades so we need him to be here. We all know it's for sports but they do. You can absolutely point to studies where even though intelligence is at a higher grade emotional development will put him in a weird place going to school 2 grades higher . Why don't they try 1 grade higher first

He is 11 now turn 12 in September. This is in America.

I'm a bit concerned over his emotional development as well. I have to say so far he seems to be doing fine.

You have to look at his age. If he turns 19 during school, he cant compete in folkstyle or freestyle.

The way things are now he would graduate at 16. You are a super wealth of knowledge. Have you ever seen anyone go into Collegiate wrestling at age 16? He loves to grappling. I'm just concerned that losing what would normally be his Junior and Senior year would cut his chances of developing.
----------------------------------------
The general consensus seems to be that it's probably not going to hurt him or at least that's my takeaway at this point.

As a parent I just don't like someone making a decision like this about my child against our (mine and his) protest.

I talk to the superintendent about this and the schools perspective is that he can do more with his education being placed where he is. My response to that was that we has gotten him where he's through homeschool and it's not like we're just going to stop teaching him.

I don't like threatening to sue someone. That is why I'm reaching out here. Sometimes as a parent I get a little blinded and there is a lot of knowledge and experience on this board. If every had agreed this was going to hurt his development, my next step would have been talking to an attorney.

Last edited:
Is there anyway he could concurrent enrollment with college for two years after "graduating"? That way he can maintain his current academic prowess, but still qualify for team sports. I did it and had an associates degree at 18 and played soccer all four years of high school

He is 11 now turn 12 in September. This is in America.

I'm a bit concerned over his emotional development as well. I have to say so far he seems to be doing fine.

The way things are now he would graduate at 16. You are a super wealth of knowledge. Have you ever seen anyone go into Collegiate wrestling at age 16? He loves to grappling. I'm just concerned that losing what would normally be his Junior and Senior year would cut his chances of developing.
----------------------------------------
The general consensus seems to be that it's probably not going to hurt him or at least that's my takeaway at this point.

As a parent I just don't like someone making a decision like this about my child against our (mine and his) protest.

I talk to the superintendent about this and the schools perspective is that he can do more with his education being placed where he is. My response to that was that we has gotten him where he's through homeschool and it's not like we're just going to stop teaching him.

I don't like threatening to sue someone. That is why I'm reaching out here. Sometimes as a parent I get a little blinded and there is a lot of knowledge and experience on this board. If every had agreed this was going to hurt his development, my next step would have been talking to an attorney.
Why sue? Honestly I would put him in a private school or charter school. But I would only put him back 1 grade lots of kids graduate at 17 that's normal

Why sue? Honestly I would put him in a private school or charter school. But I would only put him back 1 grade lots of kids graduate at 17 that's normal

The sueing/attorney is because the school is treating us like we have no say in the matter. This may be the case. I don't know.

Is there anyway he could concurrent enrollment with college for two years after "graduating"? That way he can maintain his current academic prowess, but still qualify for team sports. I did it and had an associates degree at 18 and played soccer all four years of high school

I don't know if that's possible or not. This is the first time I've heard of such a thing. I like it!

I think you should just be firm and insist that he should be in the grade appropriate for his age. Let them know that you have them in school more for socialization than for education. Also point out that the reason he is Advanced academically is because of what he was doing at home and not what the school was doing. If they really knew what they were doing so well then the curriculum for all children that age would be on a 9th grade level.

If you have any questions send me a PM. I'd be glad to put you in touch with my older sister who's been in education for 30 years, holds a
master's degree, and really can cite all the relevant research on emotional development and so on.

She's at home on sick leave right now so has nothing to do basically and would probably be glad to help you out.

Most likely they won't listen or adhere to your requests unless you send a letter written by a lawyer stating that if your son endures any kind of emotional or physical abuse (and let's be honest, if a kid is years younger than his peers.. he will get bullied) you will sue everything and everyone.

Am I the only one who thinks being able to graduate college at 20 trumps the hell out of two years of extra wrestling?

I mean, is he on track for international competition and a shot at the Olympics?

Am I the only one who thinks being able to graduate college at 20 trumps the hell out of two years of extra wrestling?

I mean, is he on track for international competition and a shot at the Olympics?

I think there's two types of people. There are those that need the acknowledgment of others such as a degree or a black belt and those who dont. The ones who don't are searching for knowledge. They dont care what others might think. They are just passionate about something and want to learn all they can about it. Sometimes a degree (black belt) will find its way into this persons hands.

That's more my focus with my son.

Last edited:
To answer your question further, no, your son would 99.9% of the time be ready for college wrestling at age 16. It doesnt happen. What actually happens a lot is wrestlers switching schools into prep schools where they get an additional year of preparation and the focus is mainly on wrestling. Your son may do ok in the south, but on a real level, a 16 year old senior is getting his ass kicked more places than not. He wouldnt even be allowed to compete in college. You cant have 24 year old adults competing against 16 year olds in an NWCA event.

I am a teacher, I have a Masters in education. You can sue the school and you would win if they place him above his age level. Remember this though: Do not, under any circumstance, allow him to show up and be in attendance the first day of 9th grade if he gets placed early. Once you do that, your legal case gets substantially tougher. The way it works is if you feel he should be held back or even advanced, you can take that all the way to the superintendent. They can make a objective decision based on certain factors. What they cannot do legally, is force your son to do something thats against the ed code. Unwillingly advancing students to grades levels above their age is against ed code.

Thanks Holt, thats information is spot on what I was looking for.

Back