Any chance the UFC wants to kill off 125lbs?

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score
Dana getting mad about a guy who might be able to beat Mighty Mouse, but if he does beat him won't fight at 125lbs.

If it wasn't for the added female weight classes i'd think this was a way to kill off the weight class "naturally".

they want more divisions, not less.

do you know why? if you did know why they want more divisions (even if you don't), then a lot of UFC's decisions might make more sense (even if you personally don't like the decisions.)

TJ says he can make 125 so Mighty Mouse needs to grow some balls and fight.

excuse-me-what-did-you-just-say-memes-com-17624592.png

do you know why? if you did know why they want more divisions (even if you don't), then a lot of UFC's decisions might make more sense (even if you personally don't like the decisions.)

More divisions = more title fights & title fights are easier sells for a promotion, and give more marketable guys options to fight elsewhere if their traditional weight class is too hard.

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me because I don't believe for a second TJ would defend the belt at 125 if he can even make the weight and win.

More divisions = more title fights & title fights are easier sells for a promotion, and give more marketable guys options to fight elsewhere if their traditional weight class is too hard.

and tv deals. with more cards, you need more contenders. look no further than June cards. most fans don't care about 80%-95% of the fights. alas, if we have MMA on TV, we need to accept watered down cards :(

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me because I don't believe for a second TJ would defend the belt at 125 if he can even make the weight and win.

i think i get your question more now, after that statement. i believe Dana wants this fight because without it, 2 divisions (125 and 135) are lackluster. with it we have the most intriguing fight at 125 since probably ever, but at least since the 2 Dodson fights. without the fight we have basically nothing, in both divisions, to look forward to.

more divisions is only helpful if its divisions people actually care about. no one and i repeat no one will ever give a shit about 125 pound male fighters. boxing has had decades and tons of great 125 pound boxers and it has never ever been able to draw. its not a good division to keep. its just a money drain.

Killing off 125 would be a sensational idea once DJ loses to TJ and TJ goes into a super fight with Cody.

125 isn't going anywhere. Why would Dana push for MM to fight Dillashaw if he was deciding to scrap 125?

Think about it. Makes no sense.

If they cut 125, some other promotion with less baggage could actually build something good with it and a build some rep there. So its also about denying their competitors.

more divisions is only helpful if its divisions people actually care about. no one and i repeat no one will ever give a shit about 125 pound male fighters. boxing has had decades and tons of great 125 pound boxers and it has never ever been able to draw. its not a good division to keep. its just a money drain.
i would respectfully suggest that all of WMMA and 135 (until Cruz v Cody) are counters to this opinion.

the fact is, they need air time. after TUF they couldn't increase to 24 cards/year without 155 & 145, so they added em. in 2012 they couldn't increase to 50/yr without adding more, so they added 125 and WMMA. likewise, they cannot sustain 50/yr w/o keeping them.

i mean, they *could* come up with something else. like add another 40 LW's (even though most cannot name more than 15 already). CSAC wants them to add 3 new divisions; maybe they'll dump 125 and WMMA 115 & 125 after adding 170, 195 and 225. but that's a long way off. until then, all empirical evidence suggests they need 125.

all they need is 1 solid competitor to DJ and it will get exciting. just like how 135 was boring in the Cruz & Barao eras, but now it's not.

Probably not, but 125 division should be illegal

125 isn't going anywhere. Why would Dana push for MM to fight Dillashaw if he was deciding to scrap 125?

Because Killshaw will beat MM, and without MM the 125 division is filled with manlet cans.

It makes perfect sense. If TJ wins and bails on defending at the weight class, it is a crushing blow to a weightclass that is already suffering. If Mighty Mouse wins then perhaps it gives him a bit of a popularity boost.

The fight doesn't make sense to me though if the UFC isn't prepared to have the 125lbers merge up to 135 depending on the outcome. They could go full storyline leading into the fight "If Mighty Mouse loses 125 pounds is gone for good" that would generate some hype for the fight.

Because Killshaw will beat MM, and without MM the 125 division is filled with manlet cans.

125 would be actually be a super interesting division without Mighty Mouse.

A lot of young exciting prospects. Borg, Moreno, Scoggins, Pettis.

Given the latest news by Mighty Mouse I think my theory that TJ was being sent to get rid of the 125lb division seems very possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back