Any athletes outside of MMA using the face mask thing?

Combat Squirrel

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Recently, an MMA guy I have on FB posted a promo video for his gym with them training with these and I realized that every time I've seen one, it was in MMA.

ufc171_openworkouts_017.jpg

silva_mask2.jpg

Yes, I already know these masks are nonsense. No need to reiterate it.

I've seen a couple of NFL,NBA and MLB players use one.

comes in handy when i bring bae back from the club at 04 and she's t0o drunk to shower.

6rWfN7Q.jpg

fittest bank robbers in the old west....didn't need horses to get away quickly.

I get the feeling that every pro athlete using this is being paid.

I've seen too many unfit dorks using it irl to deny the effectiveness of its marketing.

I've seen one or two at the gym. Dude was doing bicep curls with his mask on.

Recently, an MMA guy I have on FB posted a promo video for his gym with them training with these and I realized that every time I've seen one, it was in MMA.

ufc171_openworkouts_017.jpg

silva_mask2.jpg

Yes, I already know these masks are nonsense. No need to reiterate it.

"You merely adopted the Gym. I was born in it, raised by it"...:icon_lol:

Recently did a case study on this. They are moderately good at producing benefits in respiratory and metabolic areas, but do not lead to total VO2 output. Rather, they can help muscles of respiration and total body lactate clearing, increases in total workload, better effects of EPOC, and a few other benefits like decreasing inspiratory muscle fatigue.

Though it should be noted, the main findings of my case study were based of using a training mask that can induce hypoxia with a FiO2 content of 13-16%, and were tested in sprints 10x6s with 30s rest intervals for 4 weeks.

It's probably half decent just before training camp to get a lead kick start, and shouldn't replace aerobic work. I wouldn't be doing metabolic conditioning circuits, pad work, sparring/rolling in it, or road work with it. As the benefits of it may be modality specific (ignoring the idiocy of trying to fight in a hypoxic state).

I've seen dudes using this at the gym doing calf raises

The masks are pretty effective if you adjust the setting to the hardest setting. I can't run half the distance without stopping with the mask on. Good equipment

The masks are pretty effective if you adjust the setting to the hardest setting. I can't run half the distance without stopping with the mask on. Good equipment

This is just silly. Seriously, at this point it becomes more of a mental training tool than a physical one. This is why in the good studies done on them, parameters are set to a specific hypoxia % in normobaric conditions. The hardest settings may be set lower than 13% FiO2 which isn't advised by any exercise physiologist. Harder=/= better necessarily.

I've seen dudes using this at the gym doing calf raises

Possible form of respiratory muscle training being done incorrectly, i wouldn't do this myself.

Recently did a case study on this. They are moderately good at producing benefits in respiratory and metabolic areas, but do not lead to total VO2 output. Rather, they can help muscles of respiration and total body lactate clearing, increases in total workload, better effects of EPOC, and a few other benefits like decreasing inspiratory muscle fatigue.

Though it should be noted, the main findings of my case study were based of using a training mask that can induce hypoxia with a FiO2 content of 13-16%, and were tested in sprints 10x6s with 30s rest intervals for 4 weeks.

It's probably half decent just before training camp to get a lead kick start, and shouldn't replace aerobic work. I wouldn't be doing metabolic conditioning circuits, pad work, sparring/rolling in it, or road work with it. As the benefits of it may be modality specific (ignoring the idiocy of trying to fight in a hypoxic state).

Interesting

So what would be the best protocol to use it ?

One of my friend who is in armed forces recently bought one and is wondering how to use it to its best effect now ?

This is just silly. Seriously, at this point it becomes more of a mental training tool than a physical one. This is why in the good studies done on them, parameters are set to a specific hypoxia % in normobaric conditions. The hardest settings may be set lower than 13% FiO2 which isn't advised by any exercise physiologist. Harder=/= better necessarily.

Possible form of respiratory muscle training being done incorrectly, i wouldn't do this myself.

Have you actually used one and trained with one? It doesn't look like you have... are you against training in mountains and training with real altitude? Or is it not recommended by any exercise physiologist?

Have you actually used one and trained with one? It doesn't look like you have... are you against training in mountains and training with real altitude? Or is it not recommended by any exercise physiologist?

The only way to mimic training at high altitude is to train at high altitude. Training at high altitude for short periods of time has very little effect, if any on your overall conditioning. You basically have to live at high altitude to have any long lasting effects. All you're doing is suffucating yourself while you exercise.

Weird fat guy at the gym I go to wears one all of the time.

Interesting

So what would be the best protocol to use it ?

One of my friend who is in armed forces recently bought one and is wondering how to use it to its best effect now ?

From my case study, 20m or 6s sprints seem to be done well with 30s rest intervals over 4 weeks. Not sure what an end range of 8 -12 weeks would look like as other protocols may level off or be better at that point. The study i read was probably the best one i've seen (done on rugby players) but it may just be an early effect but level off or have diminishing returns later.

Back