Media Anthony Smith accepts Poatan's 50k grappling challenge

It's really not hate to say Smith is going to beat Poatan in a grappling match. Alex's grappling isn't really there. Smith might not have the best pedigree but he has a lot of mat time. His black belt took him more or less ten years of training. It isn't like Alex's progression where he was drilling white belt stuff before his fight with Israel. He went straight from white belt to brown belt in a few months. He got a black belt recently. You have guys like Jon Jones and Khamzat who are purple belts.

I just don't believe he is black belt in BJJ by what he is doing in his training clips. If he went out and said he is a black belt in MMA. I would have no issues with that statement.

Alex has been training MMA heavily for like 6+ years now. A ton of that would be BJJ with Glover. He didn't just go from White to brown in a few months lol.

The fact that Alex has looked like a lost puppy on the ground against pure strikers and ale to lost to Jan who would have won had he used ground and pound, Alex don’t look like someone who has rolled very much
There are no pure strikers in mma. Israel adesanya has been a purple belt under andre galvao for like 3 years, a world champion grappler, he isn't some bum on the ground, contrary to popular belief.

And Jan is a black belt as well.

He handled himself well, I saw him defend everything Jan attempted to do on the ground.

You don't handle yourself like that on the ground against someone with a decade more experience than you, if you have no grappling.

He did about as well as you could expect, defended strikes very well, defended submission attempts well, as well as any attempts to advance position. Would it have been nice to see more scrambles, positional urgency, sure. But Jan is all torso, those guys are heavy.

Overall, he was good defensively.

What exactly were you expecting him to do against Jan?

Genuinely trying to see what supposedly makes him so terrible in grappling.

Seems like the footage we have on his grappling is just being read very poorly.

Last edited:
It's really not hate to say Smith is going to beat Poatan in a grappling match. Alex's grappling isn't really there. Smith might not have the best pedigree but he has a lot of mat time. His black belt took him more or less ten years of training. It isn't like Alex's progression where he was drilling white belt stuff before his fight with Israel. He went straight from white belt to brown belt in a few months. He got a black belt recently. You have guys like Jon Jones and Khamzat who are purple belts.

I just don't believe he is black belt in BJJ by what he is doing in his training clips. If he went out and said he is a black belt in MMA. I would have no issues with that statement.
Tbf, Alex has been training jiu jitsu for 7+ years now. I think he was already a purple by the time he got to the ufc.

I don't think he's a black belt.

But I could see him being around brown belt level. Maybe like a purple of a decent school.

Seems like his grappling is just more defensive minded

I think people need to watch the Jan fight more closely. This seems to be the "smoking gun" that somehow proves Pereira has no grappling.

Yet, he defended virtually everything Jan attempted almost perfectly. Strikes, submission attempts, attempts to advance position.

He's way more competent than he's getting credit for.

Last edited:
Smith says "I never challenged him (Pereira) to anything. I can't confidently call him out."

Walk it back Anthony, too much smoke for you.

Tbf, Alex has been training jiu jitsu for 7+ years now. I think he was already a purple by the time he got to the ufc.

But I could see him being around brown belt level. Maybe like a good purple of a good school.

I think people need to watch the Jan fight more closely. This seems to be the "smoking gun" that somehow proves Pereira has no grappling.

Yet, he defended virtually everything Jan attempted almost perfectly. Strikes, submission attempts, attempts to advance position.

Respectfully he isn’t a purple from a good school. Purples who medal will smoke him and Smith.
Alex has been training MMA heavily for like 6+ years now. A ton of that would be BJJ with Glover. He didn't just go from White to brown in a few months lol.
He really did. Watch his training videos when he first started to the time he got to Israel. Respectfully he was moving like a white belt.

defensive

Respectfully he isn’t a purple from a good school. Purples who medal will smoke him and Smith.

He really did. Watch his training videos when he first started to the time he got to Israel. Respectfully he was moving like a white belt.
Yeah, I just went back to edit "good purple" out.

Had to rethink that one. Competition level purple belts are ridiculous these days.

Definitely levels to a good school.

I haven't seen those videos in a while, I was thinking something similar back then iirc. But, based on the Jan fight, I think he's improved a lot.

Defensively, he did everything right. Also taking into account that Jan isn't a joke, strong and very heavy on top.

What are the rules?

Start in seated back mount?
Seat belt grip I assume...

5 min to escape or submit?

Striking allowed or no?

What if they retain position, no sub, no escape?

Poatan should just knock him the fuck out and put a 50k check in his pocket.
That would be some movie level gangsta shit sir lol.

whoooooo cares. A fighter who isnt relevant as an actual fighter attempts to extend his career by any means possible. Meh. He's decent on the mic and should stick to that part of his career now. If he had never starting commentary nobody would even remember who he is in a few years.

I 100% believe that if he wants to Alex Pereira could find steady film work as the "menacing/intimidating" bad guy.

Dude has that killer aura and a very unique look.
Not to mention 6'5 and JACKED.

Id watch every movie he was in sir lol.
He has 100xs the charisma than Izzy and he doesn't have to say a word.

But I could see him being around brown belt level. Maybe like a purple of a decent school.

He lost his first mma fight via rear naked choke IIRC. So he has probably drilled the shit out of that position now, especially training with Glover.

His whole BJJ game is defensive based, yeah he might lose in a grappling match vs competition purple or even blue belts but in MMA all he has to do is defend and stand up.

would be seething with hatred if you would ever meet him in real life.

"seething with hatred"

i've met anthony multiple times,
and i do not hate him.
I have mocked him to his face without hate.

Grow the fuck up.

Repeatedly said I bet on him this past weekend. You live in your imagination.
This is so pathetic.

I'm used to crazy people. LOL I enjoyed the interaction.

Time to grow up.
<Selugi>
Desperate to make it personal,
when this is about the Anthony's grappling history, and his mouth.

Wake up to your assumptions,
don't be afraid of opinions based on history.

edit: putting both you dogs on ignore until you're old enough to remember this forum is about MMA... not simpleton generalizations like "haters" & "blind fans"

Last edited:
Why are some of you so harsh? I don't get it. He seems like a nice guy.

He is a (delusional) nice guy.

<BC1>

Also seen him have a hissy fit at a hotel,
and laughed about how childish he is.
There are people that think Chael doesn't lie, and Jones is a honest man of god.

Athletes/Fighters/Celebrities dig their own holes, and people "online" have snippets of perception.

Anthony "you're attacking my family" Smith

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wavemeter
Back