Anthony Pettis' knee is prone to injury, will he last?

HandsomeDevil**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know he's a fantastic fighter, but I've been thinking. His knee injuries are practically unrepairable. They will get injured again and again and each time it gets worse and he'll be out longer and longer. How long can he defend that belt for, considering his main weapons are his legs.

He so far has no title defenses in his career.

UPDATE: Found the quote!

In my opinion, this is about the toughest thing you can come back for. Of all the injuries that can happen to a knee...when you're talking about the ACL or the meniscus, these are the structures in the front. It's easy for us as surgeons to get there. When you're talking about the back of the knee, where the arteries and nerves are, a much trickier area to get to, the results are not as terrific as they are with the structures we rebuild in the front. I would pray for him. Coming back in July? That's really optimistic.

Last edited:
What exactly are the nature of his knee injuries?

It's a bit disheartening to remember how Shogun was always leaping around and throwing fancy TKD stuff in his early days

Have my doubts about his body holding up. Hopefully I'm wrong tho

I'm trying to find the medical reports, but I remember reading one surgeon/doc saying, Pettis' optimism is a far cry. Let me google it.

Depends who he fights next. If it's Aldo he'll be losing his belt.

Hard to say, but if he keeps getting injured like this then he's gonna have a short career for sure.

He hurt is PCL and had it operated on. PCL is an uncommon knee injury which is usually due to an acute injury (from an external force, like Benson pushing him or landing on it, and it hyperextending or twisting). Usually the reconstructed ligament will grow back stronger than the original, because the surgeon can use a thicker-than-original tendon graft and due to the surgical technique used, the graft has a blood supply the old one did not have. If he allows it to heal 100% and doesn't rush back into training, his knee should hold up. They should be addressing the source of his weak knees in physical therapy and address any musclular imbalances, weakness, or bad motor patterns that contribute to him blowing out his knee.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that his injuries are "practically unrepairable".

I can't find it but I found some info,

Among people who have surgical reconstruction of the PCL, most are able to return to their pre-injury level of physical activity within three years after surgery.

Now I know Pettis probably hasn't had reconstructive surgery but it's inevitable, and his given his profession, it will be much sooner than later.

He hurt is PCL and had it operated on. PCL is an uncommon knee injury, but usually the reconstructed ligament will grow back stronger than the original, because the surgeon can use a thicker-than-original tendon graft and due to the surgical technique used, the graft has a blood supply the old one did not have. If he allows it to heal 100% and doesn't rush back into training, his knee should hold up. They should be addressing the source of his weak knees in physical therapy and address any musclular imbalances, weakness, or bad motor patterns that contribute to him blowing out his knee.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that his injuries are "practically unrepairable".

It's the rehab process, he's in a cycle, so long as he's fighting. He can't possibly fully recover in the short time he has between fights. Even his fight in July is not enough time.

He'll be like the Nogueria brothers.... Great when they actually fight but they pull out a lot... LOL

Looks like he'll be the new Shogun.

But good luck taking those Aldo leg kicks with a bum knee

Looks like he'll be the new Shogun.

But good luck taking those Aldo leg kicks with a bum knee

Pettis checks Aldo's low kick with his knee, double TKO due to injury

Book it Dana

You see it happen all the time in the NFL, where guys hurts his knee, acl, mcl, etc and they are then labeled as injury prone. Usually these guys keep battling reoccurring injuries to their knee and are usually never back to their old self. Now there are exception to the rules, like AP. I know a few guys that played for my college team I cheer for, they had 3 acl (or mcls) tears in the same knee. 1 happened 3 yrs in a row in college, and he never played again, and the other plays in the NFL, but had 3 knee surgeries to his knee.

And look at shogun, he hardly throws kicks anymore. Hope Pettis can stay healthy

Pettis checks Aldo's low kick with his knee, double TKO due to injury

Book it Dana

LMAOOOOOO

Sounds like it's going to be a reoccurring issue.

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/traine...ly-recovered-from-knee-injury-in-title-fight/

This will be a big problem with a leg kicker like Aldo. Buuuuuut, after watching Aldo vs Lamas, I see Pettis having a super easy time with Aldo, barring injury. Pettis' boxing is crisper and he hits much harder than Lamas. Aldo isn't looking to fast or dangerous these days. I can only see Aldo winning via leg kick that causes an injury.

He hurt is PCL and had it operated on. PCL is an uncommon knee injury which is usually due to an acute injury (from an external force, like Benson pushing him or landing on it, and it hyperextending or twisting). Usually the reconstructed ligament will grow back stronger than the original, because the surgeon can use a thicker-than-original tendon graft and due to the surgical technique used, the graft has a blood supply the old one did not have. If he allows it to heal 100% and doesn't rush back into training, his knee should hold up. They should be addressing the source of his weak knees in physical therapy and address any musclular imbalances, weakness, or bad motor patterns that contribute to him blowing out his knee.

That's good to hear, but unfortunately I've read studies that state recoveries have a less proven efficacy from blown pcl's than acl's, even. Maybe that's because pcl injuries are more uncommon, like you mentioned, and thus it's tougher to find surgeons experienced in repairing them. Pettis may have a leg up over the average person because of his ability to fly the country and coming from a profession where pcl injuries have greater prevalence (Gastelum has one right now I know).

Also, working against Pettis though, like a poster subsequently stated, is his urgency to return to the cage. That's what cost him the first time. He set a date for his next fight before he recovered from his previous one. And now he's planning on doing the same thing, targeting a July return while he's limping around.

Plus, this wasn't an original injury, but a re-injury. They have worse prognoses.

So I can't say I'm optimistic he returns as the same guy or this isn't a lingering problem. This wasn't scary in the sprain phase. I don't recall athlete's careers being derailed from sprained knee ligaments. But once this became a full tear because of Pettis' lack of care for it, his injury situation became dire.

BAM! found the video, unfortunately, doesn't work here in UK, blast you FOX!
[YT]xoFJFXv499Q[/YT]

and here's the quote!

In my opinion, this is about the toughest thing you can come back for. Of all the injuries that can happen to a knee...when you're talking about the ACL or the meniscus, these are the structures in the front. It's easy for us as surgeons to get there. When you're talking about the back of the knee, where the arteries and nerves are, a much trickier area to get to, the results are not as terrific as they are with the structures we rebuild in the front. I would pray for him. Coming back in July? That's really optimistic.

Back