Anthony Joshua vs. Luis Ortiz Ordered By The WBA

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
The World Boxing Association Championships Committee ordered the teams behind Anthony Joshua, who is the current WBA heavyweight champion, and Cuban puncher Luis Ortiz, who holds the number one in the ranking at the heavyweight limit, to start negotiations for a mandatory fight between them.

According to the resolution sent on January 11th, 2017, to both parties, it was reported that the winner of the Joshua's fight with Wladimir Klitschko, held on April 29th, 2017, had to face Ortiz after 120 days. 95 days have passed and, for this reason, the Championships Committee ordered to negotiate a fight between the British and Cuban boxers.

Both parties were duly notified that, as of August 3rd, they have 30 days to reach an agreement or the fight will be called to purse bids.

joshua-ortiz_2.jpg

Joshua was initially being booked to have a rematch with Klitschko for a date in November, but those plans fell through when Klitschko announced his retirement from the sport earlier today.

There is another mandatory defense owed by Joshua, as part of his obligation to the IBF, to Kubrat Pulev of Bulgaria. Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn is already making the rounds, stating that Pulev is the likely next opponent for a late October, November date in Cardiff.

But Ortiz and his handlers are claiming that a deal is in place between the sanctioning bodies, where their mandatory under the WBA is due to take place before the mandatory owed to the IBF.

There could be a legal battle, brought in by Ortiz's handlers, if he is skipped over in favor of Pulev.

I thought Wilder was giving Ortiz a shot....wtf gents figure it out and get to work.

In before all the "Wilder is ducking someone somehow for some reason" nonsense.

I'm only just back on the internet after a couple of months, but last I knew Ortiz was also promoted by Hearn?

Fckin laughable situation. Joshua to fight pulev and Ortiz on the same night on keep his belts lol
Surely Ortiz isn't going to push for this if a fight with wilder is close???

No. Ortiz vs Wilder first please.

Let Ortiz fight Wilder and Joshua vs. Pulev. Then the winners can meet in a big showdown and everybodies happy.

No. Ortiz vs Wilder first please.

Dont understand why not Wilder vs Ortiz and Pulev vs AJ, and let the winners fight it out.

I havent heard anymore about Stiverne trying to get in the way of the Wilder-Ortiz fight... so ink the contract already. Wilder needs to fight soon, to stay relevant.

Wilder called Joshua out on social media also, in case anyone missed it.

His impressions are actually very good, but for black American fighters they are basically always this voice lol. His interviews on IFL are always a great watch. He seems a bit of a cunt at times but he's an entertaining bit-of-a-cunt for sure.

His impressions are actually very good, but for black American fighters they are basically always this voice lol. His interviews on IFL are always a great watch. He seems a bit of a cunt at times but he's an entertaining bit-of-a-cunt for sure.

I have seen a few of his hour long interviews, they are highly entertaining. He is a bit of a cunt, but at the same time, hard to argue with anything he says really. He is really knowledgeable, and puts a lot of thought into his words/actions.'

edit: it also makes me laugh that he could probably be a heavy weight himself. Dude is a giant, and looks in decent shape.

I have seen a few of his hour long interviews, they are highly entertaining. He is a bit of a cunt, but at the same time, hard to argue with anything he says really. He is really knowledgeable, and puts a lot of thought into his words/actions.'

edit: it also makes me laugh that he could probably be a heavy weight himself. Dude is a giant, and looks in decent shape.

He gets a lot of grief from British fight fans and it's bollocks really. As a promoter his fighters must fckin love him as if you're anywhere near the top of the rankings he'll get you a title shot, and more often than not with home advantage in front of their own

Most don't like him it seems because of the regular ppvs. Boxing fans too tight to put their hands in their pockets to watch the sport they claim to love, and support the fighters that are putting it all on the line. They aren't real fans, they're tight c**ts they won't even pay 16.95 for an evenings entertainment

I like him and I think hes had a large part to play in the recent resurgence of British boxing

Also wilder calling out Joshua right now seems completely counter productive? If he's serious about fighting Joshua and holding all of the belts then surely he understands that he has to fight one of pulev or Ortiz next to keep both of them?? He might have to fight both of them both on the same night to keep his belts; fckin ridiculous situation!

boxing promoters are generally always hated, and it's not surprising when you look at the way some of them have operated in the past. He is a business man and seems to do very well for his fighters as well. I don't think Anthony crolla would've got 3 world title shots had he been promoted by mick Hennessy or frank warren

Last edited:
Dont understand why not Wilder vs Ortiz and Pulev vs AJ, and let the winners fight it out.

I havent heard anymore about Stiverne trying to get in the way of the Wilder-Ortiz fight... so ink the contract already. Wilder needs to fight soon, to stay relevant.

Wilder called Joshua out on social media also, in case anyone missed it.
Agreed. This is the best path to the biggest build ups and gives fans several great fights.

Back