Another case of Trump backtracking: Backtracks on calling out Chinese currency manipulation

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Confirming a reversal on tough China talk, President Donald Trump told The Wall Street Journal Wednesday that he will not label the Asian country a currency manipulator in a report due this week.

"They're not currency manipulators," Trump said in the interview.

The president also said putting the label on China now could jeopardize U.S. talks with Beijing on the North Korean threat, according to the Journal.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/12/trump-backtracks-on-china-wont-label-it-a-currency-manipulator.html

From the guy who talked tough on China during the election , which was a big reason a lot of people liked about him. Now he shows what a liar he is.

When protesters asked Trump to release his tax forms, he said "the election is over". So I guess he can throw his grass-roots under the bus now that the election is over. Considering his stance on NAFTA and Syria, he is looking more and more like someone who really took his supporters (working class and middle class Americans who want an America first trade and foreign policy) for a yuuuge ride.

Trump is playing 5D chinese checkers

His family has business interests in China. He'll only be president for 4 years (if that), no point in pissing off the country that's gonna be his business partner for way longer than that.

Have they stopped manipulating their currency now that Trump got in?

Have they stopped manipulating their currency now that Trump got in?
They stopped manipulating their currency well before the election, and haven't done it substantially since a trade deal about 2.5 years ago. Trump was relying on old data, which was pointed out at the time he said it. Looks like he's just looked at what's happened since 2014.

Dammit, now I really wish I would have voted for HIlla...oh, wait, no I don't.

The world changes and you have to change with it. He needs Chinese help to minimise the cost of any NK event.

Deals would have been done to facilitate this, personally believe NK becomes a part of china if it all goes down. No cost to the US as China foots the bill for the clean up, the status quo remains the same except NK will be run by a more stable government and everyone's happy except the obvious.

If I was him I would to.

I would play nice with China to get them to allow an attack on North Korea and let them annex part of North Korea, and then any supposed trade issues or alleged currency manipulations would be addressed later. However, with that said it has been a while since the Chinese have knowingly (to many sources at least) tampered with currency rates.

The world changes and you have to change with it. He needs Chinese help to minimise the cost of any NK event.

Deals would have been done to facilitate this, personally believe NK becomes a part of china if it all goes down. No cost to the US as China foots the bill for the clean up, the status quo remains the same except NK will be run by a more stable government and everyone's happy except the obvious.

It's really hilarious that people think China will just casually absorb NK in exchange for Trump not calling them currency manipulators or some other stupid shit and it will all be a fairly painless affair. You can't get much more delusional than that.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/12/trump-backtracks-on-china-wont-label-it-a-currency-manipulator.html

From the guy who talked tough on China during the election , which was a big reason a lot of people liked about him. Now he shows what a liar he is.

When protesters asked Trump to release his tax forms, he said "the election is over". So I guess he can throw his grass-roots under the bus now that the election is over. Considering his stance on NAFTA and Syria, he is looking more and more like someone who really took his supporters (working class and middle class Americans who want an America first trade and foreign policy) for a yuuuge ride.

When keeping it, "I'm a really, really great negotiator" goes wrong.

Turns out China is a really, really, really, great negotiator.

Dammit, now I really wish I would have voted for HIlla...oh, wait, no I don't.

just give him a couple of months..once he touches a subject that affects you, you will change your mind ("well maybe shillary isnt so bad compared to this flip floping reality star idiot, maybe even my dog could run this country better") lol

oh so now its all about north korea ? china is the good guys again cause they can help you out cleaning another asian country you didnt give a fuck since the 50s ? nevermind the whole "I'll vote for Trump cause he will bring our troops back and put america first - no wars, unlike that warmongering globalist bitch shillary"

what exactly does Trump gain with stable NK other then not having to respond to (or should I say ignoring) idiotic NK threats every month ?

I thought China with its currency manipulation, jobs stealing, trade deals and what nots posed one of the biggest threats to US economy ? guess that issue takes a backburner since China is too large and influential to fuck about with and Trump just realized that (cant bully a nation that by some estimates has already taken the n1 superpower spot from US)

trump is full of empty threats
best one was how he would get back into air force one if he was disrespected by the chinese, as obama was

It's really hilarious that people think China will just casually absorb NK in exchange for Trump not calling them currency manipulators or some other stupid shit and it will all be a fairly painless affair. You can't get much more delusional than that.

Bit more than that. NK has given America the legitimate reason to install it's antimissile into SK which will impact on China's defenses. As another sherdoger was kind enough to point out NK culled all the pro China politicians leaving them with an unruly "vessel" state that doesn't toe the line.

It's all good when this "rogue" nation does what China wants and excepts all the blame but when their behaviours legitise the US to bolster SK anti missile capabilities that's another story.

The currency manipulation is nothing anymore its yesterdays news. The focus isn't even on the present it's on the future which is NK painting itself into a comer and either starving or striking, what do you think an egocentric nutcase will choose?

Trump has stated that Korea was really a part of China which caused a massive impact and brought condemnation for his SK allies. Why did he say this? Was it a bumbling fools error or testing the water, planting the seed for a future option.

People call him a fool but fools don't achieve a fraction of what he has in life. He learnt young, better to be underestimated and catch people unprepared than to be overestimated and predictable.

Last edited:
China has actually been trying to prop up the value of their currency, not drive it down. Their foreign reserves have gone down quite a bit in the past two years.

oh so now its all about north korea ? china is the good guys again cause they can help you out cleaning another asian country you didnt give a fuck since the 50s ? nevermind the whole "I'll vote for Trump cause he will bring our troops back and put america first - no wars, unlike that warmongering globalist bitch shillary"

what exactly does Trump gain with stable NK other then not having to respond to (or should I say ignoring) idiotic NK threats every month ?

I thought China with its currency manipulation, jobs stealing, trade deals and what nots posed one of the biggest threats to US economy ? guess that issue takes a backburner since China is too large and influential to fuck about with and Trump just realized that (cant bully a nation that by some estimates has already taken the n1 superpower spot from US)

trump is full of empty threats
best one was how he would get back into air force one if he was disrespected by the chinese, as obama was

There's your economic interests and there are your security interests. While they're not always different they're not always the same.

Trade and currency attacks can be a definite threat but I think you'll find full unrestricted access into the pacific may be a bigger concern security wise and worth thinking of.

Do you think no ones every thought that "we could save heaps if we pulled out forces" your forces aren't there due to the generosity of you heart they're there for your immediate security.

Yikes. What a great way to justify a man having no convictions.

It's easy to have convictions before you are fully informed. I think maybe all the briefings on your country's security needs may have awakened him to the real world.

There's no shame in changing your point of view when the intelligence changes. Or do you believe the world is flat?

Back