An Officer That Deserves Media Attention

nac386

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
With all of the bad press that police officers have gotten in recent years, this is a positive story that I think deserves a lot more attention.

Officer Tommy Norman is a police officer in Little Rock, Arkansas. He has gotten some national attention for his community outreach, mostly on social media. He is an all-around nice guy, bridging a gap between cops and the community that often seems impossible to bridge.

In his videos he gives people rides, takes them to appointments, deliver toys, and even visits families that he has interacted with in the past just to remind them that he still cares. He also supplies backpacks and gift-cards for shoes to students in need, by starting a program called "Shop with a Cop."

He has been doing lots of these things for many years, long before social media.

He He has 1.1 million Instagram followers. I recommend checking out his Instagram page to see how he interacts and has a positive effect he has on his community, especially children who otherwise may grow up with a fear or mistrust for the police.

https://www.instagram.com/tnorman23/?hl=en

Here are a few news clips. Read the comments to see how a good person like Officer Norman can bring out the positivity, even on the notoriously negative comment section on youtube:

Awesome. It's above and beyond, but if more departments put in the effort to get to know their community, it would make the communities safer and it would also make the cops' job easier.

What is this?

I can't get my recreational outrage out of story like this...

j/k Good stuff!

Good stuff. This guy should create a program where he can advise other officers on how to interact with the public.

If the MSM pick up on this, they will find some dirt on this guy and force him to resign due to public backlash. Liberal media only allows white cops that shoot blacks as headliners.

Good stuff. This guy should create a program where he can advise other officers on how to interact with the public.

I agree, he could make a lot of money and do a lot of good as a consultant of sorts when he retires.

Of course, he is a unique individual, so other people can't just do what he does. But everybody has their own way of connecting with the community, they just need to figure out what it is. All police departments can benefit from community outreach.

Awesome. It's above and beyond, but if more departments put in the effort to get to know their community, it would make the communities safer and it would also make the cops' job easier.

Police officers who have strong ties within the community that they serve also get quality information from the community members that can help them solve crimes. A little bit of trust and respect go a long way. There are a lot of police officers who do build those relationships, but there are also a lot that ruin that goodwill by being jerks.

Glad to see police who still follow "protect and serve"

I hope more police take him as an example

My local police, the Tustin PD are pretty cool. They post a ton of updates on social media and respond immediately if you have any questions about anything like "why did x happen on my street last night" "what are you doing to combat y"

Also on holidays, instead of trying to hit a ton of DUI busts they go to where the local bars are with a breathalyzer and do a "guess your BAC and win a prize" thing, so people pay attention to it and realize they shouldn't drive, it's cool that it's done in a nonconfrontational and nonauthoritative way

Police officers who have strong ties within the community that they serve also get quality information from the community members that can help them solve crimes. A little bit of trust and respect go a long way. There are a lot of police officers who do build those relationships, but there are also a lot that ruin that goodwill by being jerks.
Completely agree.

Glad to see police who still follow "protect and serve"

I hope more police take him as an example

My local police, the Tustin PD are pretty cool. They post a ton of updates on social media and respond immediately if you have any questions about anything like "why did x happen on my street last night" "what are you doing to combat y"

Also on holidays, instead of trying to hit a ton of DUI busts they go to where the local bars are with a breathalyzer and do a "guess your BAC and win a prize" thing, so people pay attention to it and realize they shouldn't drive, it's cool that it's done in a nonconfrontational and nonauthoritative way
That sounds like excellent management of your PD. Good stuff.

He should be out writing tickets and locking people up instead of playing these stupid games.

Thats why we need more ICE posing as normal police. Gotta get rid of that trust.

Back