An Analysis of the Step-Around/Knee Block/Polish Throw (GIF Heavy)

Gambledub

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I put this together on the Polish Throw, some variations of Kosoto Gake that were similar were also included. I'm the wrestling equivalent of illiterate, so if have embarrassed myself, hopefully the stand up grapplers of f12 will educate me!

Anyway let me know what you think...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o7JdinpfCEgZHQssY2b0KXoa6BT5S0nhEg2PL1P2oJ8/edit?usp=sharing

Also do you like the Google Docs format? Also please post any additional resources/examples/advice or criticisms of this technique!

Edit: You can check out the gifs used here
https://drive.google.com/folderview...JwWUdZN2hELXpDSkliYUVUOTB4bW0wTzQ&usp=sharing

Last edited:
Ah google docs. Brilliant! Only on page two. Great stuff as usual.

Dude, this is really good stuff. Thank you.

Format looked good to me. Loaded quickly and easy to use.

Great stuff, and more or less exactly the style I like to employ with my tutorials. Very effective breakdowns!

this is badass. I wish all your breakdowns were in google doc form, much easier to digest that way.

That's great. Google docs works really well. What an ace takedown that is, good for wrestling, mma, and judo alike.

Dude, if I knew you in real life, I'd treat you to a hot dog for that awesome analysis. Thank you!!! Oh, and the Google Docs format is excellent!

Awesome man, saw a couple videos I posted on here, thanks for the all the work. Overall it's a great breakdown, very comprehensive. It's one thing to see the technique and understand it, but to put it into words is impressive. Good job man.

One thing I want to mention that you didn't mention a lot (from my brief overview) is the level change as you step around. That's the key. I saw you mentioned the hip pop, but you can't do that without lowering your center of gravity while you step around.

Not sure if it was in the Google doc, but possibly the best move of the NCAA wrestling finals was Kyven Gadsen's knee block on freshman phenom Kyle Snyder. Comes from the single leg defense and jacking that whizzer up. Great throw.
The throw is in the video below at 6:25 mark you want to watch.

In ko-soto-gake the principal action is hooking of the foot. In ura-nage ("suplex") you shoot your hip out to get a lift-off but without catching/hooking the foot. Your google document seem to contain both of these throws...

Awesome man, saw a couple videos I posted on here, thanks for the all the work. Overall it's a great breakdown, very comprehensive. It's one thing to see the technique and understand it, but to put it into words is impressive. Good job man.

One thing I want to mention that you didn't mention a lot (from my brief overview) is the level change as you step around. That's the key. I saw you mentioned the hip pop, but you can't do that without lowering your center of gravity while you step around.

Not sure if it was in the Google doc, but possibly the best move of the NCAA wrestling finals was Kyven Gadsen's knee block on freshman phenom Kyle Snyder. Comes from the single leg defense and jacking that whizzer up. Great throw.
The throw is in the video below at 6:25 mark you want to watch.

Thanks for the video and the advice on the level change. I might have to gif that lol

Also thanks for the compliments everyone, glad the Google docs thing worked out.

In ko-soto-gake the principal action is hooking of the foot. In ura-nage ("suplex") you shoot your hip out to get a lift-off but without catching/hooking the foot. Your google document seem to contain both of these throws...

So leaving aside what old Japanese men tell you about how the throw is accomplished, have you watched much high level competition Judo? Kosoto gake is very often started with a leg hook as the principle action but finished with a lift and turn as you saw several times in the doc. When uke starts to push back into you to avoid the kosoto gake one of the best way to finish the throw is to start using the hook leg to lift and turn the throw into a back arch style ura nage.

If you want some examples, study the great Rashid Sobirov. He does this throw both offensively and as a counter really well.

note: Not trying to be a dick, I just get really tired of Judoka (of which I am one) criticizing technical breakdowns because they don't slavishy adhere to Japanese ideal throws and naming conventions. If it puts elite Judoka on their back, who cares what it's called or if it matches the gokyo? It's worth studying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back