Am I an alcoholic?

I drink on average 1 or 2 beers a night. I rarely ever get intoxicated, even on the weekends. But I NEED that one or two beers every day to take the edge off. Without it I'm a cranky motherfucker and as soon as I get one double IPA in me I'm a totally different person.
I used to only drink on weekends, then I spent nearly three months having at least three beers a night + a lot of booze Friday, Saturday & Sunday.
I have quit drinking during the week less than two weeks ago and feel a lot better for it. It was hard though the 1st few days.
You might not have a "problem" now, but its a really bad habit to get in to, and also to stop.

Alcoholics have to go to meetings, drunks don't.

You're an alcoholic when you put your status and relationships in jeopardy.

Does it lead to feeling lousy the next morning? Are you enduring any adverse consequences from this behavior? Does it interfere with anything in your life? Relationships? Job duties?

If not, I'd say you're good.

Anyone who gets a hangover after 1 or 2 beers is either an extreme lightweight or a huge p****...most likely a combination of the two.

A REAL alcoholic is not going to cut themselves off after 2 beers.

You aren't an alcoholic until your co workers can smell you from 3 feet away the next day like one guy a work with

Seems like you only care whether you fit the label or not. It's not like there's a line in the sand where suddenly the damaging effects kick in, they're always been there. Find an adequate medicine to be your mental health crutch. Alcohol's a depressant, pointless thing to be self-medicating with.

Alcoholics go to meetings but one or two a night you can't even call yourself a drunk...

You know you need it and you're a different person, based on whether you get it or not.

That's an easy "yes".

I drink on average 1 or 2 beers a night. I rarely ever get intoxicated, even on the weekends. But I NEED that one or two beers every day to take the edge off. Without it I'm a cranky motherfucker and as soon as I get one double IPA in me I'm a totally different person.
I did a lot of Google searches on this last week. Currently on a two night hiatus. So proud of myself

All joking aside, yes you are an alcoholic. You are self medicating with alcohol to, as you say, "take the edge off".

You use alcohol to medicate yourself, therefore you are an alcoholic. Alcoholism isnt about how much you drink, it's about WHY you drink.
Fuck off

All joking aside, yes you are an alcoholic. You are self medicating with alcohol to, as you say, "take the edge off".

You use alcohol to medicate yourself, therefore you are an alcoholic. Alcoholism isnt about how much you drink, it's about WHY you drink.
Not really. Addiction is about how it impacts your life. A couple beers a night wouldn't have any negative impact.

It's not an addiction if it doesn't negatively impact your life. If it doesn't interfere with your relationships, career, etc then I wouldn't worry much about it

No. But, you might become one. You're definitely going to get fat.

Back