Alvin Band/Rick Alvin (attn: fans of Animal Collective, Beach Boys, Panda Bear)

Rex Kwon Do

ál-ḥámdúlílláh
@Silver
Reaction score
Just found out about this guy today and as a fan of the musicians in the title of this thread, I like what I'm hearing. If you like AnCo, the Beach Boys and Panda Bear too, you might want to check this guy out. The Animal Collective influence in particular is really strong but I don't think he's quite crossed the line into pastische. He must be pretty unknown, since most of his songs have less than 5,000 views on YT (some less than a thousand) and he doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

His Bandcamp profile: https://rickalvin.bandcamp.com/

its not good to be influenced by your contemporaries. nice sounds tho. can't stand the vocals on Animal collective since they first came out. too goofy and white bread.

its not good to be influenced by your contemporaries.

Just to use a high-profile example: The Beatles were influenced by contemporaries like Dylan and the Beach Boys and that influence definitely turned out to be a good thing.

Just to use a high-profile example: The Beatles were influenced by contemporaries like Dylan and the Beach Boys and that influence definitely turned out to be a good thing.
yeah but the beatles had their own songwriting identities and style from previous groups like the everly brothers, roy orbison, buddy holly,chuck berry,elvis etc. Even when influenced by others they still sounded like the beatles, not bob dylan or beach boys lite. not doing the exact same thing like groups today do.

Back