Almost exactly 10 years ago, B.J. Penn landed a knee right on the bell, declared Sherk was done...

He also followed up by repeatedly smashing his fist into the side of Sherk’s head, leaving him slumped over with little controversy.

Silva tried that walkoff shit with Bisping but it didnt work out too well for him. Always gotta follow up if guys not out

i remember when i was in school, i would get into a lot of fights. if u get into a fight walking home from school, its still as if u were in school. i lived real close to school, id run home, drop my shit and then do it..

i wish i had known its better to get in trouble with the school than with the law..

but, anyway, white privilege, namean.

That was also without a doubt one of the stupidest gameplan a fighter has ever employed in such an important fight.

BJ was such a boss back then that he could just declare when a fight was over.

That's the night I lost my voice shouting at the TV, "TAKE HIM DOWN, SHERK!!!".

10 years!!! holy fuck im getting old. remember when we were young and the adults would say when u get older the time will fly by so fast..... its true... :(

5XIvhGb.gif
PIkprkZ.gif

This fight was actually closer in retrospect than I remembered it being. BJ absolutely lit Sherk up with the jab, but Sherk had his moments with the leg kicks and decent left hands. Ultimately, Sherk didn't try for more take downs because it was blatantly apparent after his first attempt that he wasn't going to be able to pull his traditional blast double or single leg take downs on a guy with legs made of rubber and it would just be a waste of energy to go that route. Also, a common side effect of spamming take downs on BJ involves him taking you down, followed by a RNC. I kinda wish he'd tried to force a more grappling-centric approach to test Penn's cardio here, but this version of BJ had deadly cardio to go with the best skills in the LW division.

In any event, I thought the stoppage was bullshit at the time and would have liked to see Sherk get a minute to recover from that near-death experience instead of having BJ call it for Yamasaki at the end of the round, but that just wasn't The Muscle Shark's night and it probably saved him from a way worse ass-whooping in the championship rounds. Still, that would have been an amazing comeback...

And 10rs ltr hes dbeen done. Meanwhile Bj is still kicking ass. War lw GOAT BJ

By this point the injuries had piled up on Sherk.

And 10rs ltr hes dbeen done. Meanwhile Bj is still kicking ass. War lw GOAT BJ
1 out of 3 ain't bad I guess. BUt it ain't so good neither.

Sherk is done. BJ hasn't kicked ass in years. BJ isn't LW GOAT.

Back