All-time LW GOAT

Levi_

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone cares about the old greats, but I wanted to post this as I don't think there are many old enough to have watched Roberto Duran when he was at his best (as the LW champ for several years from 72' to 79'). I totally think he beats prime Mayweather (see first Sugar Ray fight; he was a master tactician against fast and skilled fighters) Not to minimize the greatness of his footwork, head movement, and speed, but watch this power.

Watch the first part of the video (it's short) where Mike Tyson briefly talks about him and they show some KOs. Watch how fucking hard he hits these guys, and as a LW.

I don't know if anyone cares about the old greats
It depends. If you’re talking about Sam Langford, not everyone cares about Sam Langford. If you’re talking about Duran, pretty much everyone on this forum has watched all of Duran’s major fights.
I totally think he beats prime Mayweather (see first Sugar Ray fight
Mayweather is smart enough not to fight Duran the way Leonard did in their first fight; he’d fight Duran the way Leonard did in their rematch. A long, althletic boxer with all the skills and all the brains like Floyd is Duran’s kryptonite.

It depends. If you’re talking about Sam Langford, not everyone cares about Sam Langford. If you’re talking about Duran, pretty much everyone on this forum has watched all of Duran’s major fights.

Mayweather is smart enough not to fight Duran the way Leonard did in their first fight; he’d fight Duran the way Leonard did in their rematch. A long, althletic boxer with all the skills and all the brains like Floyd is Duran’s kryptonite.
I didn't think most here were actually old enough to have been watching boxing in the early 70s, but if you say so, I'll take your word for it. His 'major fights' weren't nearly as impressive as his prime at LW.

Yeah that is a big debate among boxing experts though as far as the second Sugar Ray fight; I've heard that debated a lot. Duran was lost in the rematch; he was not nearly as prepared for that fight. He was anything but a no mas fighter if you are familiar with his LW career.

As far as the kryptonite you identify, he was dominant at LW. He avenged his only loss (decision) with a KO. I wouldn't agree such a thing existed. Look at his KO percentage as a LW, it is off the charts.

I would agree against the higher weight class it was more of a struggle, which makes his accomplishments there all the more meaningful. He has titles at 4 different weight classes.

If LW Floyd had trouble beating Castillo he may struggle against Duran, the first time arount at the very least, that being said I wouldn’t make Duran a heavy favorite.

On a side note as far as old LW greats go Carlos Ortiz deserves to be mentioned.

I looked it up because I couldn't find the LW stats.

Putting aside his time after vacating the LW title-

At LW Duran was 62-1 with 51 KOs (avenging his loss of course with KO). He had a total of 11 fights that were title defenses during this time- he was undefeated, knocking out 10 of 11. He won all of his nontitle bouts when he was champion. That pretty much smokes Mayweather.

Back