Ali's chin - GOAT? If not, who?

His chin and his toughness are rarely mentioned when people talk about how great he was, but those were two of his biggest assets.

Yes. Had he not been forced to sit out for so long....who knows. He literally had to sit out 3 years while he was just hitting his prime. By the time he came back, much of his speed had not, their was obvious rust as well, but he still showed people how versatile he was as a fighter and continued to win and defy the odds.

JAKE................FUCKING............LAMOTTA
6493b_lg.jpeg

And the fucker is still coherent

Mike Tyson. Yes he got KO'd a couple of times but seriously, you had to drop armageddon on him to do any damage. In his losses, only a great accumulation of punches or a devastating combo hurt Tyson... I don't recall him hurt from one shot especially before he went to prison...

Mike Tyson. Yes he got KO'd a couple of times but seriously, you had to drop armageddon on him to do any damage. In his losses, only a great accumulation of punches or a devastating combo hurt Tyson... I don't recall him hurt from one shot especially before he went to prison...

hqdefault.jpg

Imagine the amount of force it'd take to even move that thing

Yes. Had he not been forced to sit out for so long....who knows. He literally had to sit out 3 years while he was just hitting his prime. By the time he came back, much of his speed had not, their was obvious rust as well, but he still showed people how versatile he was as a fighter and continued to win and defy the odds.

By versatile, you mean take a beating. I have a hard time thinking of fights that weren't wars after his comeback, ones that were against fighters of note.

Nobody ever rocked Tua during a round.
Only time he ever looked hurt on cam is from a sucker punch after a bell rang.

Though TS's choice is not far fetched either. Ali was 35 years old(in 1970s) going in his 57th fight against Shaver's who's on many top p4p hardest puncher lists. Ali had to become a shadow of a corpse to be stopped and only against someone as skilled as Holmes, yet he still went the distance against Trevor right after that.

Hagler, hearns hit him with a bomb and the result was hagler kept moving forward and hearns had a broken hand.

Hagler was never truly knockeddown, roldan pulled him to the canvas and it was ruled a knockdown. Still, I think consideration ought to be given for a couple more criteria, Tyson took a lot more hellacious blows from huge men before caving, how many men do you see absorb those kinds of blows? Chuvalo, as great as a chin as he had, was put down by, someone will know, but it wasn't a complete knockdown but the ropes kept him up, today that would probably be called a knockdown, and also, he did not absorb the same amount of punishment that Ali did, in the frazier fight, he basically quit when his eye socket exploded and in the foreman fight his manager panicked before he could get hurt so we do not really know how far he would have gotten against those guys had he done so. Ali was knocked down 3 times not counting the phoney wepner pushdown, each time he was up and ready to fight before the count of 3 or 4 at the latest you take his resilience, his heart and his recuperative powers and he has to be in the top five of all time. The shavers fight actually had punches that turned my stomach, i never saw a man absorb those kinds of punches from a known killer like that. Facts are, he was never knocked down by right hands, only by left hooks. so, hagler, chuvalo, tyson, lamotta all great chins all vulnerable to being kayoed, because, well, they were human. Ali is in the same class with or without the three knock downs or the many times he was staggered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back