ALIEN: COVENANT Thread v.2 (Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen ALIEN: COVENANT, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
But an Queen Chestburster taking a fucking week to gestate? That's retarded.

In the first movie it took a couple days for a normal alien to gestate and become full grown

In both AVP movies which you ranked higher the aliens gestate in like 5-10 minutes into full grown xenomorphs

Alien 3 follows the first one a lot better when it comes to that

One shot doesn't save the whole movie.

It helps when its one of the most iconic alien shots in the franchise

Was that the one that was in the 2003 DVD release?

Yes, it removes many scenes from the theatrical version and adds over 25 minutes of new scenes with new plot points. Its pretty much a directors cut of the movie. Its the only way to watch the movie

Ok, good for you.

<Gordonhat>

In the first movie it took a couple days for a normal alien to gestate and become full grown

A few days between the facehugger latches onto a victim and the chestburster matures into a full grown zenomorph.

But only a few hours between the facehugger unlatches from the victim, dies, and the chestburster matures and seperates from the host.

The concept that timeline is increaded from a few hours to over a week because its a queen chestburster, is retarded.

It helps when its one of the most iconic alien shots in the franchise

Only because it was one of the few good shots in the entire movie and they slapped it onto every piece of marketing for the movie.

Yes, it removes many scenes from the theatrical version and adds over 25 minutes of new scenes with new plot points. Its pretty much a directors cut of the movie. Its the only way to watch the movie

Then I've seen it, wasn't impressed.

It was a less-shitty version of a very shitty movie, but was still damn shitty movie.

If it was a stand-alone sci-fi flick, I could respect it. But it was the follow-up to Aliens, and it shit the bed.

I hope Franco gets a spinoff outta this
Maybe Weyland-Yutani will find his body floating in space and clone him. Given that everyone else on the ship dies from a Xeno outbreak caused by David, they will think Franco died with one in him. They will be dissapointed to find out that is not what killed Franco however, and the newly "revived" Franco will team up with a Space Jockey and go off to seek vengeance on David and his army of Xenos on LV-426 after learning what he did to his wife and crew. Oh, and it turns out Tennessee is still alive and working for David. Seth Rogan will play the Space Jockey. It will be called Alien: Pinneapple Express Lost.

I have the script for your next Alien movie right here, Ridley Scott!

Maybe Weyland-Yutani will find his body floating in space and clone him. Given that everyone else on the ship dies from a Xeno outbreak caused by David, they will think Franco died with one in him. They will be dissapointed to find out that is not what killed Franco however, and the newly "revived" Franco will team up with a Space Jockey and go off to seek vengeance on David and his army of Xenos on LV-426 after learning what he did to his wife and crew. Oh, and it turns out Tennessee is still alive and working for David. Seth Rogan will play the Space Jockey. It will be called Alien: Pinneapple Express Lost.

I have the script for your next Alien movie right here, Ridley Scott!

Jonah hill can play the strong female lead.

Why did David help them kill the Xenomorph that was in the main ship?
If that Xenomorph was alive, it would assist David in his creation experiments.

I saw the prologue on YouTube but it was not featured in the theater.

^ He had an entire crew in hyper sleep to experiment on, plus two alien embryos down the hatch. He needed to get Daniels and Tennessee to trust him first, so he could get them to sleep. The Xenomorph posed a logistical problem for the 7 year voyage to the new world.

^ He had an entire crew in hyper sleep to experiment on, plus two alien embryos down the hatch. He needed to get Daniels and Tennessee to trust him first, so he could get them to sleep. The Xenomorph posed a logistical problem for the 7 year voyage to the new world.
The Xeno would have very likely killed them if he didn't help, so no need to get them to trust him.

He only had 2 Xeno embryos , so why not keep the Xeno alive?

I do agree that having an adult rampaging Xeno on the ship would be a good reason to kill it, before it infects and consumes all the colonists , whereas David would have wanted to methodically test his creation skills on each colonist and adjusting the methods as he progresses along.

I agree, but I think the alien scenes would have been amazing if practical effects had been incorporated into the film. Any film that uses cgi for a creature completely ages terribly. He'll I thought the aliens looked terrible in some scenes

SPOILERS BUT WTF WHY ARE YOU IN THIS THREAD IF YOU DONT WANT TO SEE SPOILERS

They couldnt have done hardly any of the scenes with practical effects and a guy in a suit. I mean, they could have, but the entire scenes would be different. Practical effects means no steady shots staying on the creature for long lengths of time, it can't move very much and having it interact with the scenery and cast is incredibly difficult. The entire night attack sequence couldnt be done and neither could any of the final sequences involving the xeno. With a guy in a suit you honestly probably wouldnt even be able to have them climb down the ladder.

The Xeno would have very likely killed them if he didn't help, so no need to get them to trust him.

He only had 2 Xeno embryos , so why not keep the Xeno alive?

I think David wants to us Daniels and Tennessee for breeding his future Queen Alien. He appeared to have been documenting Shaw's anatomy intensely/perversely in order to get to this conclusion. Daniels found those scrolls and David tells her he's gonna do the same to her.

A queen would subsequently be able to produce multiple facehuggers that can infect the other colonists. The "perfect creature" he desires.

It's like selective breeding to create the best hybrid lifeforms, and in order to due that he needs specific types of people. Both Daniels and Tennessee are widows by the films end, like Shaw in Prometheus. Perhaps the trauma of losing their respective spouses created ideal physiological conditions. It's also survival of the fittest, the other crew members perished, so to David's robot mind these two are the best of the bunch and get to pass their genes on to his creatures. He wouldn't want them dead. The whole situation with David relates to disorderly sub creation.

With ants, you've got all the workers but the queen is needed to keep the colony alive. David can use the embryos presumably to generate more male Xenomorphs as a fail safe, but if he wants his species to become self sustaining he needs to breed a Queen.

Last edited:
I'd say 6.5 rounded to 7 in the poll.
Its good as a sequel to Prometheus, but adds questions still in the overall Alien timeline.

If you view Prometheus as a reboot and not a prequel makes it better, in that the original movies don't take place in this "universe".

I enjoyed this more than I probably should have. I felt like it made up for some of Prometheus' shortcomings, and was visually stunning, and entertaining while treading some new ground (creation, synths, etc). The only real negative was that the last 15 minutes on the ship could have been removed and just added more plot/action on the ground or backstory to the characters instead.

I say it's the 3rd best franchise movie, obviously coming after the first 2.

They couldnt have done hardly any of the scenes with practical effects and a guy in a suit. I mean, they could have, but the entire scenes would be different. Practical effects means no steady shots staying on the creature for long lengths of time, it can't move very much and having it interact with the scenery and cast is incredibly difficult. The entire night attack sequence couldnt be done and neither could any of the final sequences involving the xeno. With a guy in a suit you honestly probably wouldnt even be able to have them climb down the ladder.

I might just be speaking for myself but I really dont need to see an alien climbing down a ladder

no steady shots staying on the creature for long lengths of time

I'd actually prefer that

In defense of the guy you are responding too...we are actually seeing far too much of the alien. It would have been scarier to not see half the shots you described in your post and instead only seen glimpses.

Cgi ruins these movies.

If David hated Humans so much, how come he didn't drop that MOAB in Earth instead of the engineers planet?
Give him a film, or two. I'm sure it's on his agenda at some point.

First lol at the helmet picking up a signal that far away when they(big ship and small ship) could barely talk to each other while in atmosphere and on plant.

2nd, they had the turn the signal on. It wasn't broadcasting when they walked in the ship.

Does it make it any more palatable to think David was switching it on and off?

Let's back up, so they find this random planet, don't scan, circle, chart, investigate, etc. Nope, let's just throw them into a hurricane to land 8 km away from the signal without flying by to check it out.

The new captain after Franco(wtf was the point if that anyway, pointless spot and an advanced ship shouldn't have a pod explode into flames), was a hard ass by the book, pissed at a quick funeral/shot, no such thing as luck, decides to just go to another planet out of nowhere and forget the extensive research, prep, etc for another planet...

No idea what's on the planet and oh let's go out with no suit(like one in prometheus).

It's never easy to accept when movie characters make dumb decisions, or when we're introduced to them under pressure and by nature panicky and prone to making rash decisions. In this case Oram's overzealous as per his character's backstory -- an overzealous pilgrim thrust into shoes he wasn't ready for, which is extended into his decision (to fall for David's trap) in going to a place they weren't ready for. Some might even think it's harder to accept Oram's finale is a jokey wink to the audience. Of course, David is lying. But don't ya see? The faithful man goes not by his own two eyes. Or something.

So prometheus ends with Shaw having David's head in a bag and she knows he betrayed her. Then that goes to him killing her, then him wiping out the planet. Ruined what could have been an interesting sequel. Didn't want answers or whatever? Also killing Shaw, wtf? Didn't even explain or show anything? Wtf???

I can appreciate when sequels don't necessarily tie up all loose ends nor continue where we think the thread left off. Especially if a sequel only answers questions. I much prefer the feeling that something unexpected is happening now and builds up to something I'd like to anticipate.

Now I'm not saying I yearn to see the next ALIEN picture (I think I got it, Ridley), but to its credit or demise: COVENANT brings something new to the narrative
by confirming David's identity as essentially the Devil. And not just the classic archetype but that (self-)destructive psychosexual aspect of ourselves. David represents that shit part of ourselves. What mischief will he next make? <-- THIS is the story. He our storyteller.

Also how does David go from killing the planet to crashing the ship and stranding himself on the planet, stupid.

Maybe Shaw was asleep, and when she awoke fought with him and they lost control of the ship?

Everything David loves is human made. Art, music, etc. And he thinks mindless killing machines that destroy everything and then I would guess die of starvation is perfection? Stupid. Also him having some weird control over them and what was the arm raise?

Yeah that was odd. It was like that one scene he cut from ALIEN, which was the xenomorph standing, he needed to restore it to film history, and did it like nine times. At first I know we're reinforcing the mirror symbol. David is the xenomorph, they're both evil. Un huh. David is also recreating what Weyland was doing with him at the beginning. Yep. Got it. By the third time I swear the fucker's asking someone if y'all wanna boogie this is my jam, girl.

Some people just wanna watch the world burn, duder.
All your other details [ I did not address above] are stylistic choices, and yeah I get they're not all that great, in terms of the overall ALIEN mythos as we are familiar with it. But then again, it was only ALIENS that was a beloved sequel. Each and every iteration thereof has been saddled with some controversy or other such diminishment. At some point we need to understand that folks in the ALIEN world do dumb shit and you can forget about continuity.

For what it's worth, I don't think the pilgrims are dumber than the SS MINNOW's crack crew in the last movie. Comprising couples carries with it inherent motive for each character. Did anyone catch the gay dudes? Second one who got infected was the security chief's squeeze, I think. They weren't dumb to me per se -- but I bought that you-know-who out of all of them managed to survive.

Thing for me is that Ridley Scott's age factors into this story, and I don't mean he's losing a step (a lot of technical stuff he leaves to his lifelong crew). But dude's eighty fucking years old and I have to realize this part of the franchise is his ruminations on death, dying, leaving a legacy, and spirituality.

It's not easy to look beyond characters as being human with believable characteristics. Especially if they look like regular dudes like that guy who played Daniels. These are not humans, but rather they are HUMANITY. We're being brought to an operatic scale here.

I would love to see how Roy would deal with a Xenomorph.
I think we saw it.

Kind of shit, yeah?
Does anyone know what Walter was doing at the beginning of the movie with the embryos? He had put one or two into a biohazard container just before the ship got hit with the flare. It sticks out to me since David put the two alien embryos in the chamber at the end of the movie.
Quality control, I would guess. Dispatching unviable embryos to foreshadow, as you've noticed, David's action.
The moment David appeared on screen it was impossible to not see where this was heading.
Do you mean minute one?

Didn't we already find out this movie was gonna be about David fucking shit up in "paradise?" I can almost hear Ridley Scott saying it, hoisting his giant cigar like a donkey's Nixon: "David, you know. Out there. On the fringes of space. Gone a bit mad, or p'raps he's always bean. Now he's had ten years or so to really let it sink in." Cigar cigar. Maybe I'm just making that up, but once -- I want to say -- back when we knew it as PARADISE LOST, it was pretty explicit it would be about destroying Eden. And fuck the bullshit, dey dooed it in the flashest of flashbacks. Boink. Zip. All gone.

I don't know if I like COVENANT but I certainly didn't hate it. I hated the fact I didn't see it in 3D; was it even an option? Did anyone catch it in 3D format? Like many of his theatrical releases COVENANT is haunted by a sense of incompleteness and dammit I want it to see floating dust and the rickety chains and the spaceships and all of it. I'm sure the little bursters looked iller in 3D too and now I may never know.

In defense of the guy you are responding too...we are actually seeing far too much of the alien. It would have been scarier to not see half the shots you described in your post and instead only seen glimpses.

Cgi ruins these movies.

Possibly. But at the same time I kinda feel like quick glimpses and cuts have been done to death already. It's not going to have anywhere near the same effect to see drooling teeth and a opening mouth and cutting away as it did in 1979.

I think we saw it.
Kind of shit, yeah?
Touche. I was thinking of a more adversarial confrontation.
Do you mean minute one?

Didn't we already find out this movie was gonna be about David fucking shit up in "paradise?" I can almost hear Ridley Scott saying it, hoisting his giant cigar like a donkey's Nixon: "David, you know. Out there. On the fringes of space. Gone a bit mad, or p'raps he's always bean. Now he's had ten years or so to really let it sink in." Cigar cigar. Maybe I'm just making that up, but once -- I want to say -- back when we knew it as PARADISE LOST, it was pretty explicit it would be about destroying Eden. And fuck the bullshit, dey dooed it in the flashest of flashbacks. Boink. Zip. All gone.

I don't know if I like COVENANT but I certainly didn't hate it. I hated the fact I didn't see it in 3D; was it even an option? Did anyone catch it in 3D format? Like many of his theatrical releases COVENANT is haunted by a sense of incompleteness and dammit I want it to see floating dust and the rickety chains and the spaceships and all of it. I'm sure the little bursters looked iller in 3D too and now I may never know.

Sure. I think we could even say we knew it was a David-themed story the moment Fass signed on for the sequel. But a David-themed reboot of Prometheus minus the originality + more rehashed Xenomorphy bullshit... aint nobody signed up fo dat. Movie sucked. You did hate it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life, you will hate this movie.

Touche. I was thinking of a more adversarial confrontation.

Sure. I think we could even say we knew it was a David-themed story the moment Fass signed on for the sequel. But a David-themed reboot of Prometheus minus the originality + more rehashed Xenomorphy bullshit... aint nobody signed up fo dat. Movie sucked. You did hate it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life, you will hate this movie.
I didn't mean to sound a certain type of way if I did.

Yeah, I would like to have seen more cool shit but I'm trying real hard these days not to let outside influences affect my interpretation of new films. There's hardly anything new under the sun so I'm trying to appreciate shit for what it is rather than what it isn't, not that it's easy to do because I still wanna see more cool shit.

Back