Alex Pereira Expects Jones to 'Dominate' at Heavyweight, says Ngannou Boxing Fury is 'Suicide.'.

Substance Abuse

Aldo's Burgers Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230216_203123_Chrome.jpg

Jon Jones and Ciryl Gane will battle for the vacant UFC heavyweight championship now that Francis Ngannou has relinquished his title and parted ways with the promotion, and UFC middleweight titleholder Alex Pereira expects “Bones” to be successful in his quest for more gold.

Jones hasn’t entered the octagon since February 2020, defending his 205-pound throne for the final time in a close decision win over Dominick Reyes, and has teased a potential move to heavyweight ever since. Jones finally re-enters the cage against Gane in the main event of UFC 285 in Las Vegas on March 4.

“I think he’s really coming to dominate,” Alex Pereira said in an interview with MMA Fighting when asked for his thoughts on Jones going against heavier opponents. “It’s never easy, but I think this fight will be much harder than if he had fought Ngannou. Ngannou is stronger and would want to trade punches with Jon Jones, and Jon Jones is very experienced, has great defense, so I think Jon Jones would beat Ngannou [easier].

“This next fight [with Gane] is a bit harder for him, but I also think he wins. It’s a bit more difficult because [Gane] is smart, and a bit more scared in a good way, not to come trading with Jon Jones, which makes him a more difficult fight.”

Meanwhile, Ngannou is focused on securing a match with boxing champion Tyson Fury. Even though that could be a very profitable bout for the man that beat Gane, Stipe Miocic, Cain Velasquez, Junior dos Santos, Jairzinho Rozenstruik and Curtis Blaydes in his final six octagon appearances, Pereira doesn’t expect Ngannou to be that successful in the squared circle.

“It depends if he’s fighting the elite,” Pereira said. “[Boxing against] Tyson is hard. It’s suicide. … There are other guys for him to start. [He can go] one step at a time. If he really wants to fight those guys, then he’s just thinking about the money. I don’t know if that’s the case. But to say ‘I’m going there because I want to become champion,’ that’s hard.”

Ngannou does have impressive knockout power, but Fury has shown great chin and heart throughout his impeccable 33-0-1 career in boxing.

“[Boxing] someone who can defend from his punches, [Ngannou] would get tired,” said Pereira, a former two-division kickboxing champion in GLORY who transitioned full-time to MMA and became UFC champion in one year.

“I”ll give you a dumb example: If you ask someone who’s never trained in in his life to go against someone experienced and tell him to hit as hard as he can to knock him out, he’ll gas out in three minutes, and then one weak punch will knock him out since he has no defense anymore and can barely stand still. To me, knowing how to defend yourself is the the most important thing.”

Link: https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...cis-ngannou-tyson-fury-suicide-mma-boxing-ufc

Finally something me and Alex can agree on. Why Francis thinks he can knockout Tyson Fury like he’s some boxing version of Stipe is beyond real

The potential fight with Tyson is a money grab. Ngannou knows it, Fury knows it and anyone who has watched more than a few boxing matches or MMA fights knows this. No one with a modicum of combat sports knowledge expects Ngannou to be competitive, but it's the SPECTACLE that draws the eyeballs. If you think Ngannou has a chance, or that he thinks he has a chance, you haven't been paying attention.

Dude I'm afraid to click on that. What is it?

I believe him he might have some super powers to predict these things because of his ancestors.

He's definitely right about Ngannou/Fury.

We'll see about Jones at HW. I mean, we haven't seen Jones in three years and he didn't exactly look like his old dominant self in his last few fights. So honestly I have no idea what to expect out of Jon Jones. A lot of folks are just assuming he's still in his prime. That seems like a hell of an assumption to me given his time off and how he's looked in recent fights vs. how he looked at his best.

Alex isn't wrong, but since when is he really mindful of defense?

Also I think it would've been interesting to see if Jones really had the strength to implement his wrestling on Big Frank. The dude was hard to take down based purely on his freak physicality and and the bit of wrestling acumen he started to acquire at the end of his UFC run.

I think Periera is just giving Jon a sort of professional courtesy here since Jon publicly backed Alex against Izzy.

Hmm him liking Jones.....wonder if people will turn there back on Alex lol
That would be really feminine of them

The dude is legit terrifying. Even when he aint mad at ya.

Imagine pissin that guy off. Ya ded.

My boy Artem Levin took him and Vakhitov to kickboxing school though, Levin was one of my favorite kickboxers back in the day and now he's a striking coach for a lot of MMA fighters.

Yeah, I used to have dreams before fights that my opponent got replaced and last minute backstage id find out I'd have to fight some killer like Pereira randomly. I'd vomit hoping I could pull the "I'm sick card" in the dream to get out of the fight haha.

Back