Aldo showed us again just how elite he is

It was really cool to see. He could have been active the past 2 years and would have likely won most his fights.

Just losing to Mekrab is his only set back, that's pretty insane. If he had stayed active he could have even fought O'Malley for the title by now.

Took away the leg-kicks within 2min flat and had Martinez walking backwards the rest of the fight eating big shots

It’s actually becoming the norm. Look at longevity of guys like Jones, Poatan, Oliviera, Max, Poirier, Pantoja, Aljo, Figgy, Whittaker, Strickland etc
People don’t realize this, but boxing is harder on the body and brain than mma, it’s easier to have a longer run in mma. Boxing you’re getting punched in the head and body nonstop both in training and in fights (boxing sparring is brutal). MMA doesn’t have a gym wars culture like boxing.

Can't believe Aldo is only 37 . I guess his prime was over at 30. But it was a great one tho.

Wish he just retired after last night perfect way to go out.

i seem to remember him mentioning he'd like to fight Dom Cruz next
sign me the fuck up for that, battle of the OGs

It was really cool to see. He could have been active the past 2 years and would have likely won most his fights.

Just losing to Mekrab is his only set back, that's pretty insane. If he had stayed active he could have even fought O'Malley for the title by now.
I dont know. Not getting past Merab sets him back aways. Cejudo is still a pick em fight. Hed have to beat someone like him or Aljo

People don’t realize this, but boxing is harder on the body and brain than mma, it’s easier to have a longer run in mma. Boxing you’re getting punched in the head and body nonstop both in training and in fights (boxing sparring is brutal). MMA doesn’t have a gym wars culture like boxing.
Im sure Aldo is training smart though.

I dont know. Not getting past Merab sets him back aways. Cejudo is still a pick em fight. Hed have to beat someone like him or Aljo
Chito lost to Sandhagen and still found himself in a title shot.

It's possible that some things could have went Aldo's way ends up as the main event. UFC seems pretty lenient with O'Malley

Reactions: HHJ
Chito lost to Sandhagen and still found himself in a title shot.

It's possible that some things could have went Aldo's way ends up as the main event. UFC seems pretty lenient with O'Malley
Yeah it could be that O'malley would have liked a win over Aldo,but the Chito thing wrote itself. They planned that fight for sean even before he won the fuckin belt hhaha

Yeah it could be that O'malley would have liked a win over Aldo,but the Chito thing wrote itself. They planned that fight for sean even before he won the fuckin belt hhaha
Definitely. But sometimes getting a title shot is just right place at right time (see Dustin vs Islam).

Reactions: HHJ
I'd love to see how far he can go at BW again.

MMA definitely has, or at least had, gym war culture. And Aldo himself said MMA prep is far harder than boxing.

15 years ago he was dominating in the WEC.

And now 15 years later after many fights, training camps and weight-cuts, after all the wars, after the KO losses, after retiring and doing boxing - he can still step in there and beat a #12 ranked dude in arguably the toughest division in the UFC.

Goes to show just how elite his skillset is. Especially since he doesn't have quite the same explosiveness as he used have to which was a big part of what made him so dangerous.
The fact there's a lot of people who forget he built that division, Was undefeated for 10 years and champion most of those years it makes me laugh. They put Max and Volk over Jose yet even though Aldo should have retired after Mendes 2 (you could see he had lost reflexes and timing) he's still able to hold his own and even out of his prime he's always been a hard fight.

JOSE ALDO #1 FW EVER

The fact there's a lot of people who forget he built that division, Was undefeated for 10 years and champion most of those years it makes me laugh. They put Max and Volk over Jose yet even though Aldo should have retired after Mendes 2 (you could see he had lost reflexes and timing) he's still able to hold his own and even out of his prime he's always been a hard fight.

JOSE ALDO #1 FW EVER
Aldo's story is a bit like GSP being rated behind Usman by some fans 😳 despite it being almost universally agreed top 3 of all time is filled by GSP, Jones and Silva the only argument being in which order you have them. Personally I am
JONES
SILVA
GSP

I don't get why people keep counting Aldo out. I put him in the same league as GSP, Mighty Mouse, and Anderson Silva.
I think it's only because like Silva he didn't know when to quit for the good of personal legacy, GSP understood after the Hendricks fight that father time had caught him and retired, only coming out for a one fight at MW for a fight that was absolutely made for him

Yet George Foreman was the HW champ at 46 and Floyd was the best in the world till his 40’s.

I don’t think boxing is harder for the body, it’s probably the same as MMA, just affecting different parts of the body.

MMA definitely has, or at least had, gym war culture. And Aldo himself said MMA prep is far harder than boxing.
From my understanding relatively few MMA gyms have that (Chute box for e.g.), in boxing it's the norm.

If Aldo had a better team and coach he would never lose a fight.

Back