Akimoto vs Rei (spoilers)

stinkynecklace

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I am excited to see a signing like Wei Rui, and was stoked to see him matched up with one of the best in Hiroki Akimoto. I enjoyed the fight, but thought Akimoto’s aggression should have gotten him the win. I just wanted to see what others thoughts are on this decision.

Akimoto won 2-1 in my eyes...ONE must still be chasing that Chinese market. In that case why favor Wei Rui, who is boring as hell now and takes no risks. Should have signed one of the younger guys but I guess that would require them to watch and understand kickboxing scene...
Or maybe ONE think it's more likely for Haggerty to beat Rui. That is also possible. Wei Rui pillowfisted, with old man chin too Never forget that Adrian Maxim had this guy running for his life a few years ago, Romanian powa

Last edited:
I thought it was a close fight and a fair decision. IMO aggression isn't meaningful unless you're controlling the space effectively, and I didn't see Akimoto really start taking control of the space and pace of the fight until round three. First round was clear for Wei, second round was much closer but I thought Wei landed more and still managed to control the fight more than Akimoto, round three was Akimoto for sure. I think Akimoto would have won in a five round fight. This fight kinda reminded me of Marat vs Superbon 3 in that the aggressive guy was missing a lot and the other guy was utilizing footwork to land pot shots and short combinations. If you rewatch the fight with a close eye, Akimoto's basically just shadowboxing for the first two rounds and occasionally catching Wei.

It was basically a draw. I have no issue with Rui getting the nod.

Akimoto didn't land much bt neither did Wei Rui. Rui hasn't fought to hurt anyone for a long time. He punches the arms a lot. He throws light point scoring kicks. Akimoto's few middle kicks and right straights were cleaner and had more impact than anything Rui landed. Rui mostly flurried on the guard.

Will give Rui props for taking this fight. After his shitty run of performances after 2021 I thought he would never have a compettitive performance against an elite kickboxer agin.

Back