Aging out of MMA...

guys like Zabit, Adesanya, Sean Omalley, Darrin Till, are exciting

And Conor, Lesnar, DC are still active

I am still interested

It’s not just the ufc. The nfl and mlb are suffering major fan fatigue. The nba and nhl have record ratings but will soon suffer the same. There are too many media options these days. Live sports is the holy grail of programming these days because it is live and unique. The over saturation of major sports along with the fact they earn 100x the average person is starting to hurt numbers even without including cord cutting and demographic changes.

And that doesn’t include losing interest in old hobbies as you age and have children.
e-sports is cucking all the traditional sports and stealing the youth viewers.

m96jjd.jpg

I literally spewed my drink <45>

OH, IT'S TRUE...
200.gif

bork1} .

And you have a butthurt pro-Trump anti-Colbert av...

So yeah, "you're a new breed fan" piece of shit and you most likely love Conor, Jones and Colby.

Am I right?

Or am I right o_O

<TrumpWrong1>

Conor is a chicken who's about to be raped by Khabib
Jones is a PED cheat
Colby is pure cringe and ducking Woodley like a bitch
Colbert is the best late night talk show host

Keep quacking.

Sports Business Weekly reported a while back that the median age of UFC fans is 49 years old. As a fan who started watching on via UFC 1 2 & 3 on VHS tapes, I have to imagine that I am not alone in finding it hard to be as excited about the sport as I used to be.

I've tried to get into some of the more current popular fighters but they just fucking suck. The vast majority seem to be more bark than bite, or so morally repugnant that it's impossible to get behind them, unless you are semi-retarded and find silly smack-talk and contrived hooker photoshoots awesome. Or they get their hands on a title and run and hide.

I feel like the decline in UFC popularity (yes it is happening) is in large part due to what I've stated above. It's accepted business ideology that it's easier and more fiscally prudent to keep an existing customers base as it is to attract new customers. Of course an entertainment company needs to increase it viewership, but The UFC has chosen to do it at the expense of it's existing long-time fans. And the 35-40+ fans are the one's who were buying the PPVs because... #duh they have the money and aren't notorious streamers.

Anyway, The UFC is dying.

Flame away.

(Do kids still call it flaming? Oh who am I kidding? You're all over 40.)

I watched UFC 1 on ppv when I was I think 14 (actually that black box thing) and been a huge fan since cause I grew up wrestling,boxing and doing martial arts.I still enjoy it and I know i'm not going to get to the old clean the house for an hour before the fights start cause of anticipation feeling.There's just so much mma that there's little build up of anticipation not to mention pull outs etc and lighter cards.As far as all the crap these days i'd rather it not be like it is which will only get worse but i'm pretty indifferent to it as I just look forward to the fights and keep a it is what it is mindset.

I'd rather the amount they have though and I watch lots of other orgs but I usually just skip through stuff like ACB,One FC,Cage Warriors etc. and watch the fights i'm more interested in.I like having some stuff each weekend so I accept that every event isn't going to be great and I keep my expectations low.

I usually know all the fighters that enter the UFC but if there's an event with a bunch of guys you don't know,just take an hour out of your week and watch some footage,interviews etc. and you'll be more emotionally invested in their fight and that helps look forward to it.A lot of people will say stuff like,well I don't have an hour to spend doing that crap yet they spend 5 hours a week on here complaining about only knowing 4 names on an event.

I find it odd someone with your time watching the sport (and age in general) would even care much about trash talk.I'm not going to get into whether the UFC is dying or not,I couldn't give a shit what their numbers are,I don't have stock in it I just watch it and take the good with the bad.

Last edited:
And with this aging demographic they feed Legends to younger fighters to get mauled then don't allow the older guys TRT and other stuff.

UFC is just lame. As an older fan I could give a shit about the brand. I'd rather see my fav's fight in Bellator juiced up. Chael vs. Fedor? Hell yes!

I watched UFC 1 on ppv when I was I think 14 (actually that black box thing) and been a huge fan since cause I grew up wrestling,boxing and doing martial arts.I still enjoy it and I know i'm not going to get to the old clean the house for an hour before the fights start cause of anticipation feeling because there's just so much mma that there's little build up of anticipation not to mention pull outs etc and lighter cards.As far as all the crap these days i'd rather it not be like it is which will only get worse but i'm pretty indifferent to it as I just look forward to the fights and keep a it is what it is mindset.

I'd rather the amount they have though and I watch lots of other orgs but I usually just skip through stuff like ACB,One FC,Cage Warriors etc. and watch the fights i'm more interested in.I like having some stuff each weekend so I accept that every event isn't going to be great and I keep my expectations low.

I usually know all the fighters that enter the UFC but if there's an event with a bunch of guys you don't know,just take an hour out of your week and watch some footage,interviews etc. and you'll be more emotionally invested in their fight and that helps look forward to it.A lot of people will say stuff like,well I don't have an hour to spend doing that crap yet they spend 5 hours a week on here complaining about only knowing 4 names on an event.

I find it odd someone with your time watching the sport (and age in general) would even care much about trash talk.I'm not going to get into whether the UFC is dying or not,I couldn't give a shit what their numbers are,I don't have stock in it I just watch it and take the good with the bad.

Good post, well said. My problem with trash talk was perhaps overstated. What I was trying to convey is that, in the past, yes there was "smack talk", and I thought it was dumb and embarrassingly stupid then too. But it was balanced with non-douchebags who behaved like honourable warrior athletes..and not www.worldstarhiphop.com viral vid stars.

And with this aging demographic they feed Legends to younger fighters to get mauled then don't allow the older guys TRT and other stuff.

UFC is just lame. As an older fan I could give a shit about the brand. I'd rather see my fav's fight in Bellator juiced up. Chael vs. Fedor? Hell yes!

Like boxing and other less known combat sports haven't always done that?Just the passing of the guard.Sad to see but it's part of the game.

Good post, well said. My problem with trash talk was perhaps overstated. What I was trying to convey is that, in the past, yes there was "smack talk", and I thought it was dumb and embarrassingly stupid then too. But it was balanced with non-douchebags who behaved like honourable warrior athletes..and not www.worldstarhiphop.com viral vid stars.

It is pretty horrible =/

Like boxing and other less known combat sports haven't always done that?Just the passing of the guard.

I was never a boxing fan so for me this is new. Been a UFC fan since TUF 1 and seeing all my old fav's losing and tossed aside is pretty gross. At least GSP didn't allow himself to be fed to Whitaker.

Sports Business Weekly reported a while back that the median age of UFC fans is 49 years old. As a fan who started watching on via UFC 1 2 & 3 on VHS tapes, I have to imagine that I am not alone in finding it hard to be as excited about the sport as I used to be.

I've tried to get into some of the more current popular fighters but they just fucking suck. The vast majority seem to be more bark than bite, or so morally repugnant that it's impossible to get behind them, unless you are semi-retarded and find silly smack-talk and contrived hooker photoshoots awesome. Or they get their hands on a title and run and hide.

I feel like the decline in UFC popularity (yes it is happening) is in large part due to what I've stated above. It's accepted business ideology that it's easier and more fiscally prudent to keep an existing customers base as it is to attract new customers. Of course an entertainment company needs to increase it viewership, but The UFC has chosen to do it at the expense of it's existing long-time fans. And the 35-40+ fans are the one's who were buying the PPVs because... #duh they have the money and aren't notorious streamers.

Flame away.

No. The UFC isn't dying. Can we have a moratorium on these stupid threads?

Yes, there's some bullshit WWE-ness happening. however there are still LOTS of great fighters out there either wearing belts or coming up.

DJ, Khabib, Cormier, Whitaker, Holloway, Thug Rose, Nunes, Cyborg, etc, etc. Alot of champions to be excited about.

I think the lull happens when fighters you care about start to leave the sport. That's normal in ANY sport.

by very bland you mean KO machine?
I’m not saying he’s not good, just that I would never feel the need to see his fights, there’s just nothing interesting about him.

I’m 36 and myself and my friends similar age all have been losing interest for the reasons you stated

Point fighting and WMMA killed it for me.
This site is more entertaining than most fights. Usually get 1 decent one per event now

Too many watered down cards, injuries, weight misses, fighters acting like divas, and thinning divisions at a loss for new talent is really taking a toll. Not to mention that often fights don't live up to the hype.

Flame away.

If you want a reality check, go back and watch UFC 1 & 2. You'll see some extremely shitty, one-note fighters.

Even Royce Gracie's BJJ sucked by today's standards.

I'm excited about watch today's crop of complete, well rounded fighters. Much more so than watching a fat, off-balance tank abbot swinging wildly for the fences, or dudes who've never actually been hit before being stunned and unable to compete after getting hit with their first real punch or kick.

No. The UFC isn't dying. Can we have a moratorium on these stupid threads?

Yes, there's some bullshit WWE-ness happening. however there are still LOTS of great fighters out there either wearing belts or coming up.

DJ, Khabib, Cormier, Whitaker, Holloway, Thug Rose, Nunes, Cyborg, etc, etc. Alot of champions to be excited about.

I think the lull happens when fighters you care about start to leave the sport. That's normal in ANY sport.

I laid the blame at the feet of The UFC but maybe I as wrong. Maybe the blame should lie with fans like you? Fans who are have such a low-tier level of expectations? The current UFC is garbage bro. Title holders wont fight, all the current media is cringeworthy. Deserving fighters get passed over for mouth pieces. The UFC is not what it used to be...it's actually pretty bad,

Too many watered down cards, injuries, weight misses, fighters acting like divas, and thinning divisions at a loss for new talent is really taking a toll. Not to mention that often fights don't live up to the hype.

MMA and the UFC particularly, has always had to deal with those problems, BUT to deal with all of those problems AT ONCE is the problem the UFC has right now, and it's a bad one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back