Advice&Thoughts

BeeCee

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Whats up so i been in a Boxing fighters class for a few months now and been sparring on and off i have never had any fights in the ring but i have been sparring the trouble is im the only one in the class that hasnt had any am fights so when im sparring im pretty much a punching bag. Im 26 i actually had a session today and got my ass kicked even turnt my back at one point which i know is a no no. But i feel like im playing catch up all the time and tonight has put doubt in my head that maybe im not cut out for it all i can see myself getting early brain damage at this rate but really just need some advice on if any of you have been through the same as there is no novices like me in the class. I try and move and slip but just seems like whatever i try i get rocked. I dont want to quit but feel like none of the other fighters respect me as im not on their level and keep getting blasted in the ring.

You need a different approach, that's for sure. If you want to keep boxing (and get better) you need to change what you're doing now, because it isn't working, as you can tell.

Time to work on your fundamentals. If you're just a punching bag, stop sparring for now, that's not helping you and you need to get back to basics (basics is where all the goodies are, so it should be fun)

Private lessons, study at home, more emphasis on practice, more emphasis on drills, take it easier- break it down and polish it slowly. Acting tough and getting punched makes you worse, unlike what most people think.

It's time to treat it more like learning a fine craft, a musical instrument, a passionate hobby you want to get sweet @ than some brute activity. You need to change how you see it. It's not like weightlifting or bootcamp. It's not even like wrestling.

If you doubt what you're doing and are concerned with brain damage at this point, stop. Mental attitude is a huge part of fighting, and if your mind is on anything but kicking ass-stop.

Back