According to the UFC scoring criteria, 50-42 Topuria is not that bad of a scorecard.

achoo42

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Topuria almost put Emmett away in the 4th, that can be reasonably scored a 10-7 round.

From the UFC scoring criteria:

"It takes both overwhelming DOMINANCE of a round, but also significant IMPACT that, at times, cause the judge to consider that the fight could be stopped. Judges shall look for multiple IMPACTFUL blows or knockdowns that diminish the fighter, and/or grappling maneuvers that place the fighter in dominant situations with impact being inflicted that visibly diminishes the fighter’s ability to compete."

Was the fight not a dominant round for Topuria where Emmett was dropped multiple times, and was there not significant visible damage done? Ref was a hair away from stopping it at points. And then at the end of it, Emmett's eye was all sorts of fucked up, he was cut all over, and the ref called the doctor in. I think a 10-7 was reasonable in the 4th round.

And then the 2nd round could be scored a 10-8, due to the multiple times Topuria rocked Emmett. It was a dominant round for sure regardless of whether you thought it was a 10-9 or a 10-8.

So 10-9, 10-8, 10-9, 10-7, 10-9, that's 50-42.

I do like seeing judges handing out 10-8 rounds more often because it encourages fighters to actually try to do a lot of damage rather than coast.

Except, the judge who scored it 50-42 scored round 2 a 10-9 and round 3 a 10-8.

So the total score makes sense but the round by round score is laughable.

Only thing I can think of to explain it is a typo.

Didn't he knock Emmet down 2x that round? I didn't find it a bad score.

Back