AC Joint Separation - How Long Were You Out?

spirez

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not seeking advice, i'm already getting treated for the injury.

I had a grade 1 separation and suspected rotator cuff damage about 6 weeks ago. Got full range of motion back in the shoulder now and pain free in all but the most extreme ranges. The only thing holding me back is that the joint still feels a bit 'squishy' so i'm not confident to go back just yet.

How long was it before you guys felt confident to train/roll again?

about 8 months. My ac joint separated about an inch cause my friend threw me with a judo hip throw and I landed full on the concrete. that shit hurt

Fuck! did you have surgery?

Mine barely showed any separation on the inital x-ray but has since popped up about 1-2mm

I separated my AC-joint in judo and bench pressing afterwards in February causing my shoulder to permanently subluxuate and it has limited me more or less ever since. I haven't trained judo since then (except for some light rolling yesterday) and for six weeks I could do only some light resistance-band training. Now I've been training with weights for some seven weeks and have gradually upped the weights to the point where I can say that I'm actually lifting again (except benching, even pressing the bar itself puts so much stress on the AC-joint it makes me grimace because of the pain). My MRI's showed 5-6mm's wide separation in the joint and while my clavicle doesn't look gross in the way it comes up it's visible for sure. The squishy feeling comes from the damaged/loose joint allowing the clavicle to move more freely, it creeps me the hell out and is the sole reason why I'm not training judo yet. I can push the top of the clavicle down and then it pops up again a bit painfully when the arm is moved.

Would I not have some commitments in the near future that need to be taken care of with a semi-functional arm I would've already got the surgery already. I'm planning to get back to the mats 100% in the fall after having a surgery sometime in the summer. Wish I had gotten the MRI done immediately so that the surgery would've been an option immediately. And mind you, this was diagnosed as a minor subluxuation (symptoms were those of a grade II separation) and even a very good sports doc told me at first that it would heal by itself. Though it's become painfully obvious to me that it'd take just too much time naturally to heal for combat sports.

If the squishy feeling doesn't go away in a few weeks, go see sports doc. Your injury sounds more minor than mine so hopefully it'll heal by itself. I suggest keep the arm moving but avoid pushing motions.

With a grade 1, you should be back to training in under two months; back to "normal" in about double that or even less, depending on other factors. Train light, avoid throws, do some moderate lifting. You don't need to wait until it's perfect; just be careful and don't injure it again.

Not seeking advice, i'm already getting treated for the injury.

I had a grade 1 separation and suspected rotator cuff damage about 6 weeks ago. Got full range of motion back in the shoulder now and pain free in all but the most extreme ranges. The only thing holding me back is that the joint still feels a bit 'squishy' so i'm not confident to go back just yet.

How long was it before you guys felt confident to train/roll again?

I seperated mine, but I don't believe it was a grade 1. I was out for a month, supposed to be two but I felt good and got back early.

it'll be squishy for a while. i couldn't sleep on mine for months.

I had a stage 3 AC seperation and broke my wrist in 2 places. I would've only been out for about 6 weeks if it was just the shoulder but my wrist took close to 3 1/2 months to fully heal before I was able to get back on the mat.

My collar bone no longer is connected to my shoulder in case anyone was wondering how bad a stage 3 was. It give me no trouble except for slight discomfort if I pull my arm all the way across my neck and it fatigues slightly faster than my other shoulder...Other than that...Keep rolling and it's not going to end your career.

I had to spend nearly 3 months in a sling and take some strong ibuprofen but no, I did not need surgery. they said it would stay together after 3 months of being isolated in a sling. I did feel more stable but pain would come if I crossed my arm across my body. It felt weak and certain movements felt weird. I had to go to physical therapy for quite a while and continue on my own afterwards. I doubted it's strength after completing recovery but I guess it is now 100% as if it had never happened because nothing from it ever bothered me again. THis did happen to me when I was 15 and now I am 21

I am about a month into recovery from a grade 3 seperation. Not having any ligaments in your shoulder sucks. I am also wondering how long it will be until I get to train again. I can jump rope again and do some cardio, but no technique stuff.

All the research I have done says pain is the limitation with the AC seperation recovery, (as long as it doesn't hurt, it is OK to do) so maybe you could find a partner you really trust to take it easy on that arm and start light with them.

Today is one month into recovery for me. I have a Grade 2-3 separation. There is a lump on my shoulder. It is going down sloowly. I wore a sling for several weeks and took Ibuprofen, plus iced/heat and I use essential oils. I feel much better but there is slight pain if I over-use the arm or reach in some certain directions.. I try to take it easy, but pain is my guide. I haven't returned to training yet and I am anxious to do so, but I can't afford to make the injury worse.

I am a little concerned about training and I am wondering the same thing...how long will it take? I suppose to be safe (uggh), I should rehab slowly with weights and stretching, etc...for a couple more months...but I hope I can at least go light with some whitebelts sooner than that.
:icon_neut

OH, and I don't really feel any squishy feeling. I can't push the lump from the raised clavicle down, tho I haven't really tried that hard.

I would say you could do positions and certain moves but there should be no free rolling allowed

Stage 1. I was out for 1 month.

I went to physical therapy which I doubt helped but gave me something to do :) They had me do exercises as well as gave me ultrasound treatments, laser & led treatment (once), & the elctro-thing w/ ice. That was twice a week for an hour.

I feel 97%. Basically it only affects me if someone has me in a kimura in which case I just tap even earlier than my already early taps.

Grade 1 means it was just a sprain, you didn't actually separate it, meaning the ligaments didn't tear completely. This happened to me when I got taken down on a mat that was not soft enough and landed with all my weight on my shoulder. I couldn't raise my right arm for a few days, I could barely even eat or use a mouse with that arm at first, then I had pain and limited range of motion for about a month, and in less than two months it was 100% again.

I also had a grade 1, which is a benign injury. Was out for 6 weeks, would feel it for maybe 4-5 months.

I hear grade 3 must suck, I feel for you, man.

If it can make you feel better, I know and have chatted with some people in combat sports who also had grade 3 and are still training. This injury is frequent in judo and wrestling. I believe the key to continue training after a severe shoulder injury is by the means of very targeted exercises that strenghten the internal structure of the shoulder and the rotator cuff.

I hope you heal soon.
Cheers.

I feel your guys' pain. I had a grade 3 separation 8 years ago or so, and, in my opinion, that is a VERY painful injury. And this is coming from a guy who walked around on a fractured tibia for a couple of weeks.

My separated shoulder still bothers me to this day. I also sprained my good shoulder about 8 months ago, and it's still bothering me as well. I must be getting old.

Good luck with rehab, guys. And keep those rotator cuffs strong.

Grade 3 separation. It happened at the end of febuary and I came back at the begining of May, so 2 months/8 weeks, but I was pushing it. It was still pretty sore and weak at that time. Its basically almost 100% now, but the shoulder still drops a bit if I totally relax. Its slowly closing up though.

A grade 1 sep is nothing you will be back in 4 weeks just do the right things to get back there .

I had a grade 3 did it at a judo tournament took 3 months of physio at a sport clinic 3 days a week and Its like nothing happened to me .
shortly after i started bjj so I am not taking punishment on my shoulders like i used to .

Grade 3 separation. It happened at the end of febuary and I came back at the begining of May, so 2 months/8 weeks, but I was pushing it. It was still pretty sore and weak at that time. Its basically almost 100% now, but the shoulder still drops a bit if I totally relax. Its slowly closing up though.

you should get a brace for it and wear it while training to keep the shoulder together .

Its not an issue. I never used a sling, that's the main reason I think, plus I have other issues with muscle tightness in my neck that tend to pull my collar bone away from the shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back