about to drain ear myself for first time

Ez Eric

Amateur Fighter
@purple
Reaction score
IMG_20161022_104225_379.jpg IMG_20161022_112211_616.jpg IMG_20161022_104225_379.jpg This is then third time my ear has swelled up this year. First time I went to the doctor and they made an incision with the scalpal. It was $500 but it was very clean and painless.

Second time was a week later. Apparently I did not compress it enough then first time and it filled up with blood again and exploded while I was rolling..I just squeezed out what I could and it was fine after that.

Now six months later it has happened in a different part of the same ear. I don't really have the money to go to the doctor. I just bought everything I need from the pharmacy. I am basically following the directions from Wiki How to drain cauliflower ear.

I have tea tree oil, alcohol, cotton balls, a 20 gauge needle, some triple antibiotic, gauze and tape for afterwards...

I think I have everything I need. I was just wondering if anyone had some quick advice. Especially for how to prevent infection. Thank you very much Sherbros and God Bless the Grappling Forum

best of luck brother. I was lucky enough to be in sweden when my hemotoma popped up.. think it only costed me 30 euros to have it done by the pros

Thanks man. I just did it. It was really easy. Only thing is I feel like there is still a little bit of blood or dried blood in the ear. There was a decent amount of blood in the syringe but I am scared I did not get it all. Tried to squeeze around the skin and work it all out but I dont know if I did it right. Maybe I should have stuck the needle a little higher up.

I have it compressed right now with gauze and tape. I guess I will find out in a couple of days if I did a good enough job.

USE A CLEAN SYRINGE, DONT SHARE SYRINGE WITH ANYONE!!!!

Just did one today. A trick was to keep a refrigerator clip on it for a while. I looked absurd but still picked up a chick at the club

Thanks man. I just did it. It was really easy. Only thing is I feel like there is still a little bit of blood or dried blood in the ear. There was a decent amount of blood in the syringe but I am scared I did not get it all. Tried to squeeze around the skin and work it all out but I dont know if I did it right. Maybe I should have stuck the needle a little higher up.

I have it compressed right now with gauze and tape. I guess I will find out in a couple of days if I did a good enough job.
Another thing you can do is get two strong magnets and use those to compress it. There is a kit that sells them but you can use any magnets. Works really good

I had to re-drain my ear several times before I finally got all the fluid. Just always be extra careful about disinfecting your puncture point and using a clean syringe.

Personally, I think my job was a lot better than a doctor's visit since the doctor will only see you one time and give you sutures. As your own care provider you can see how it's healing, use rare earth magnets as a compress, and if it flares up again re-drain.

I had to re-drain my ear several times before I finally got all the fluid. Just always be extra careful about disinfecting your puncture point and using a clean syringe.

Personally, I think my job was a lot better than a doctor's visit since the doctor will only see you one time and give you sutures. As your own care provider you can see how it's healing, use rare earth magnets as a compress, and if it flares up again re-drain.

Thanks for response.

I drained it on Saturday and compressed it. I felt I compressed it too hard though. It was a really tight fridge clip. So on Sunday it looked bad again so I drained it again but didn't use much compression. Now it is Tuesday and it looks like just a little bit has refilled. i am wondering if I should go get another needle and drain it again or if I should just let it be. I guess i will have to re-drain. It is such a hassle.

Your call. The thing is that if you leave it a bit, it'll harden up. At that point the only option is to go to the doctor who will remove it by opening it up with a scalpel, scrape, and suture it. If you wait too long where it's a healed injury, the only option is plastic surgery on your ear.

One of my ears has a little cauli due to a flare-up where I left a little residual be (like yours). It's not that bad and it isn't really noticeable. Only annoying part is that it's noticeable to me when I try to use earbuds.

Back