A Very Underrated Guard Break by Jason Scully

jaysculls

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Today I'm going to show you a very underrated way to open your opponent's closed guard with the gi on. This is so useful and easy to do in my opinion that it is part of my "fundamentals" program. I teach this method of opening the guard to my new students right away and they see results with it.

If you study the video and practice each of the points that I talk about, then it should be something you can add to your game. I personally do this all of the time with the gi on and then it leads me right into some of my favorite guard passes. Definitely check it out.

Thanks for watching,
Jason Scully

See, I would think this is an awful pass, but maybe that's why I suck at BJJ?

Mario Sperry, random guy. lol

Gotta try this one.

I'm helpless when the only brownbelt before in the gym(he got his black last year)would do this guard break to me during sparring. He would do it ever so slowly, like he's showing me how to do it.

Gonna try this tonight. Probably gonna screw it up and get armbarred 9374186481 times

Thanks for the tip, trying this tonight.

I do this all the time and it's a great one. Be careful with the long legged ones as they can get ya in a really dumb 2x arm bar.

Good stuff

Here is a random guy teaching it

I've been spending too much time in the UFC forum, can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. The fools in there have the shortest memory ever, it's destroying my brain cells reading some of those posts.

I'm at work and didn't watch it with sounds. But from the looks of it, it seems like your asking to be triangled or even arm barred. Any comments on that?

I do this all the time and it's a great one. Be careful with the long legged ones as they can get ya in a really dumb 2x arm bar.

I tried against a lanky guy who always kicks my ass and I almost broke his guard with it but couldn't quite do it. So close yet so far

It is an awful pass because it's not even a pass. It's just a way to open the persons closed guard.

that is a really simple distinction if you've been training a while, but I think newer players get them confused a lot. maybe because guard breaks are often taught along with subsequent passes. but the distinction is huge

Mario Sperry is hilarious. Someone on the UG made a compilation of his funny quotes and it was fucking gold. I can't find it anymore, though.

Also, related to this guard break, I used a similar version on my buddy except I gripped the waist of his pants instead of his belt. Unfortunately, his pants ripped and his dong flopped out. It's a memory i wish I could scrub from my mind. He was mad at me for ripping his pants and I was mad at him for not wearing underwear and making me see his wiener. Moral of the story: wear underwear at jiu jitsu.

Mario Sperry is hilarious. Someone on the UG made a compilation of his funny quotes and it was fucking gold. I can't find it anymore, though.

Also, related to this guard break, I used a similar version on my buddy except I gripped the waist of his pants instead of his belt. Unfortunately, his pants ripped and his dong flopped out. It's a memory i wish I could scrub from my mind. He was mad at me for ripping his pants and I was mad at him for not wearing underwear and making me see his wiener. Moral of the story: wear underwear at jiu jitsu.

Could it be this one?

Haha yeah, that's the one.

Back