International A rocket attack targets the US Embassy in Baghdad, causing minor damage but no casualties

LeonardoBjj

Professional Wrestler
@Brown
Reaction score
BY QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA
Updated 7:58 AM BRT, December 8, 2023

BAGHDAD (AP) — A rocket attack on the sprawling U.S. Embassy in Baghdad caused minor damage but no casualties Friday morning, U.S. and Iraqi officials said.

The attack is the first on the embassy located in the heavily fortified Green Zone of Iraq’s capital to be confirmed since the beginning of the Israel-Hamas war. The Green Zone houses Iraqi government buildings and embassies on the west bank of the Tigris River.

Iran-backed militias in Iraq have claimed responsibility for dozens of attacks that targeted bases housing U.S. troops in Iraq and Syria since Israel declared war on Hamas two months ago. The U.S. military says 78 attacks have been carried out against U.S. facilities over the past weeks, of which 37 were in Iraq and 41 in Syria.

An Iraqi security official said 14 Katyusha rockets were fired Friday, of which some struck near one of the U.S. Embassy’s gates while others fell in the river. The official said the rocket attack caused material damage but no casualties.

A U.S. military official said a multi-rocket attack was launched at American and coalition forces in the vicinity of the embassy complex and the Union III base, which houses offices of the U.S.-led coalition. The official added that no casualties and no damage to infrastructure were reported.

An embassy spokesperson said the U.S. Embassy was attacked by two salvos of rockets at approximately 4:15 a.m. (0215 GMT).

“Assessments are ongoing, but there are no reported casualties on the embassy compound,” the official said, adding that no specific group had claimed responsibility for firing the rockets as of Friday morning but early indications pointed to Iran-aligned militias.

“We again call on the government of Iraq, as we have done on many occasions, to do all in its power to protect diplomatic and Coalition partner personnel and facilities,” the official said. “We reiterate that we reserve the right to self-defense and to protect our personnel anywhere in the world.”

The three officials spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani said in a statement that “targeting diplomatic missions is something that cannot be justified.” He called the attack an “insult to Iraq, its stability and security,” and promised to “pursue the perpetratrors of the attack ...and bring them to justice.”

Sudani came to power with the support of a coalition of Iran-backed parties. But he also wants continued good relations with the U.S. and has backed the ongoing presence of American troops in his country.

While no group claimed responsibility for the embassy attack, the Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella group of Iran-backed militias, issued statements claiming separate attacks Friday on the al-Asad airbase in western Iraq, which is used by U.S. forces, and on a base located at the Conoco gas field in eastern Syria.

There are roughly 2,500 U.S. troops in Iraq and around 900 others in eastern Syria, on missions against the Islamic State group. In both countries, Iran has militias loyal to Tehran.

In response to attacks against American troops, the U.S. has retaliated with airstrikes three times in Syria since Oct. 17, targeting weapons depots and other facilities linked directly to Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps and the militias. The U.S. also struck multiple sites in Iraq late last month after a militia group for the first time fired short-range ballistic missiles at U.S. forces at al Asad air base.

https://apnews.com/article/us-embassy-baghdad-attack-a319727033599d921aba8da329ac9589

I'm glad the Iraqi PM has commented. Just a reminder, the layers of protection of an embassy:

Layer 1: Host country.
Layer 2: Diplomatic Security Service (an office within the State Department)
Layer 3: US military personnel.

I know people will type in all caps "but, but, but the Marines!!". Their primary job is to protect the information (i.e. classifieds) within the embassy. They will secure the chancery first and foremost.

If a host country cannot protect a diplomatic post, then the US will have to evacuate personnel.

I'm glad the Iraqi PM has commented. Just a reminder, the layers of protection of an embassy:

Layer 1: Host country.
Layer 2: Diplomatic Security Service (an office within the State Department)
Layer 3: US military personnel.

I know people will type in all caps "but, but, but the Marines!!". Their primary job is to protect the information (i.e. classifieds) within the embassy. They will secure the chancery first and foremost.

If a host country cannot protect a diplomatic post, then the US will have to evacuate personnel.

- Do you think USA will do that or hire some PMC's?

- Do you think USA will do that or hire some PMC's?

Many will hire security companies like G4S for minor stuff like waiting areas for the consular section or the entrance ways.

But, for the more serious security like Academi/Blackwater, you'd have to ask Antony

Many will hire security companies like G4S for minor stuff like waiting areas for the consular section or the entrance ways.

But, for the more serious security like Academi/Blackwater, you'd have to ask Antony

- I dont have a problem with ambassys hiring PMC's.

For some reason i think someone in the governament has a participation in the firms hired, like security firms here in Brazil, have politicians investing on them!

Never heard of that G4S. I assume is a far smaller firm? How big is Triple Canopy?

And who invaded Iraq in the last few decades? But a missle hits an embassy...

Difficult situation to be in. We won’t go into Iraq again.

It is quite clear that attacks will continue and slowly escalate, something that Iraqi groups have clearly stated many times in recent months.

Back