A question about pulling guard

DancesWithBears

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
When you pull open guard I was taught you're supposed to turn on the way down so that you land at 90° to your opponent. I was just wondering why you're supposed to do that?

Because if you pull straight in front, it is easier to counter.

I always pull straight in front. The 90 degree thing might be good for DLR, I personally don't play DLR at all. In submission wrestling I pull without grips so it doesn't matter because I'm not even close to my opponent then.

Inb4 "Guard pull doesn't work in the street" and "you should learn takedowns"

wrong thrd lol

Last edited:
When you pull open guard I was taught you're supposed to turn on the way down so that you land at 90° to your opponent. I was just wondering why you're supposed to do that?

If you're talking about putting a foot in the hip and sitting back to guard yes, you want to turn to your side to prevent the immediate leg drag or torreando pass. It's much easier to pass someone laying flat on their back. None of this is true if you're trying to pull a sitting guard like butterfly or go straight to 1X, but the grips are different in that scenario.

If you're talking about putting a foot in the hip and sitting back to guard yes, you want to turn to your side to prevent the immediate leg drag or torreando pass. It's much easier to pass someone laying flat on their back. None of this is true if you're trying to pull a sitting guard like butterfly or go straight to 1X, but the grips are different in that scenario.

So since this thread is more or less closed, can I ask what is most likely an ignorant question?

Could someone break down the pros/cons of the traditional pull everyone knows, with the foot in the hip on the side of the sleeve grip, vs the way the Mendes brothers seem to do it, using the foot on the collar side and more as a kick to the thigh, than at the hip.

My coach only teaches it the traditional way, yet no matter how I hide it with attempted takedowns, feints etc, he times it to easily shuck past my foot and effortlessly pass

So since this thread is more or less closed, can I ask what is most likely an ignorant question?

Could someone break down the pros/cons of the traditional pull everyone knows, with the foot in the hip on the side of the sleeve grip, vs the way the Mendes brothers seem to do it, using the foot on the collar side and more as a kick to the thigh, than at the hip.

My coach only teaches it the traditional way, yet no matter how I hide it with attempted takedowns, feints etc, he times it to easily shuck past my foot and effortlessly pass

I don't really like that pull. I've also not see the Mendes bros each it that way, but I certainly haven't seen all their stuff. What I like is the pull with same side sleeve and collar, sit with the foot in the opposite hip, go straight to DLR. I think that's a pretty strong way of pulling.

Back