A Ghost Story (2017) Movie

Senzo Tanaka

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
A_Ghost_Story_poster.jpeg

What did everyone think of this movie? It's one of the most polarizing movies I've seen in a long time. I trust Redletter Media and their reviews and both Jay and Mike called it their movie of the year.

I was in the right mood for it when I watched it and it's a strange movie to describe. As purely a movie, I find it hard to recommend. I'd go as far as to even say it's a bad movie. As an experience or as a piece of art however, I think it's really profound. It punched me in the gut at least 2 times and made me tear up.

It's long, it's boring but it has a message and deals with some deep questions and situations. If you've loved and lost and appreciate art, I can recommend it. If not. stay away.

What are your thoughts?

I thought I would hate it, and was bored out of my mind for the first hour or so.

But it really grew on me, by the end I loved it, and stuck with me long after.

Very weird, very artsy, but beautiful and meaningful.

Man, I just watched this and I’m kind of blown away. If you can stick with it through the pie eating scene, you deserve what this movie has to offer. That’s both a knock & a compliment. The pie eating scene should’ve been cut in half but the rest of the movie is phenomenal.

I wish more people would’ve seen this.

Each comment here thus far is absolutely accurate. I was making fun of the movie almost all of the way through due to its slow movement. The pie eating scene was excruciating...But upon finishing the film, I was like, "that was a beautiful piece of art."

One of the dumbest films ever made. Theres nothing to it. Ya theres a meaning to it but the payoff is weak. Incredibly boring

I think the pie eating scene was important. Everyone has their own take on it.

To me, I think it was meant to show time and something mundane as eating. We sat there and watched it for 5+ minutes.

Now think about the ghost. Here's sat and watched her 24/7 hours a day and without spoiling, everything else that has happened after.

The pie scene shows what it's like for 5 minutes. Imagine being stuck in limbo for 24 hours a day, alone, indefinitely.

Last edited:
the pie eating scene is the worst part of the movie.

it ruins an otherwise decent film.

Pie eating scene, eh?

Sold.

One of the dumbest films ever made. Theres nothing to it. Ya theres a meaning to it but the payoff is weak. Incredibly boring

After finishing it up I thought about how people will either love or hate this movie, doesn't seem like many people will be in the middle on this one.

I think the pie eating scene was important. Everyone has their own take on it.

To me, I think it was meant to show time and something mundane as eating. We sat there and watched it for 5+ minutes.

Now think about the ghost. Here's sat and watched her 24/7 hours a day and without spoiling, everything else that has happened after.

The pie scene shows what it's like for 5 minutes. Imagine being stuck in limbo for 24 hours a day, alone, indefinitely.

I can see that. It just felt a little too risky. I'm not so sure the result was worth it. It probably turned a lot of people off.

the pie eating scene is the worst part of the movie.

it ruins an otherwise decent film.

I just thought it could've been trimmed a little and still have basically the same effect.

Now that im reading Lardass is in this, ill have to check it out.

Watching now.

And wondering why he doesn't float..

I was going to see this because I Like spooky stuff. But I watched the trailer and it seemed fucking boring.

I was going to see this because I Like spooky stuff. But I watched the trailer and it seemed fucking boring.
It's not spooky, and it IS pretty boring in parts. It's certainly not for everyone. But I watched it months ago and it has stuck with me.

Most movies are quite forgettable, but this one is something completely unique.

Ok. Just watched it.
5/10 Likely never going to watch again.

Now i know what you guys meant by the pie scene. Didnt know it would be that boring.

I can't remember a movie that left people on one side of the fence or the other quite like this one does. Some people love it and find it refreshing, some people find it dull and boring. An in-between seems rare.

I sat for the first hour or so, really bored and waiting for something to happen. But it had some really nice shots along with some nice soundtracks to it. It was quite sad to see the woman (I forgot her name) move house and this deep music started to play - you could feel it yourself. I liked watching these scenes, I found myself waiting for a climax and was kind of happy with the ending.. it was abrupt, but nothing bad about it. I was a bit confused about this random guy at the party speaking about dying and leaving behind a legacy. But other than that, it was a nice change in movie from what I would usually watch. Not sure if I would watch it again, but happy I did.

t's not a Horror, its a Drama.

Weird Film for me.One one hand its barely even a movie because it is as barebones as a story can be.
On the other hand i liked quite a lot of the Film.
It hit me to as a close family member just died.

Back