A Fighter's Life After Retirement

Always happy to see that guy get success with his fighters.

Mike was legit as fuck back in the day too. At the time he met Aldo, Mike was on a 10-fight win streak and on his 3rd defense of the belt he'd won from the 5-defense former champion. Not a bad run in one of the deepest divisions in the sport.

Very true, sucks that he was already in his mid thirties when 145lbs in MMA boomed because of guys like Faber.

Had he been a few years younger, dude would've been dominant for a while... He was like the Brock Lesnar of 145... Massive wrestler with KO power.

im848l.gif

Can you name a dozen of the "most" you refer to who suffered brain damage and are destitute? Keep in mind that literally thousands of athletes have fought in the UFC alone.
Find a name and see what they are doing these days. Sometimes its a big name. Ken shamrock is broke, mayhem is in bad shape, kevin randleman RIP, mark coleman, it's not hard. I don't know who you're a fan of or know about. I can tell you they aren't all living large like bas rutten, royce gracie, or liddel. Guy mezger might have a decent amount of money but he's fucked up really bad from head trauma. It was sad to watch. Chris lytle isn't in the best place for all of his efforts but not the worst either. I had to go through the work digging up these people, you can do the same. I have no incentive to make this shit up. I wish all of them the best, but that's not the norm.

Mark Kerr is another one thats easy to find.

Find a name and see what they are doing these days. Sometimes its a big name. Ken shamrock is broke, mayhem is in bad shape, kevin randleman RIP, mark coleman, it's not hard. I don't know who you're a fan of or know about. I can tell you they aren't all living large like bas rutten, royce gracie, or liddel. Guy mezger might have a decent amount of money but he's fucked up really bad from head trauma. It was sad to watch. Chris lytle isn't in the best place for all of his efforts but not the worst either. I had to go through the work digging up these people, you can do the same. I have no incentive to make this shit up. I wish all of them the best, but that's not the norm.

Mark Kerr is another one thats easy to find.

I hear you man... I guess it was a callout on saying "most" fighters end up with brain damage and destitute, when in fact the overwhelming majority, perhaps 99%, end up somewhere on the "normal" spectrum of both health and income.

Looking at the names you mentioned and equating them as the "norm" is not a fair representation. These are clearly the exception and not the rule:

Ken Shamrock has a net worth of 1.5 million.

Mayham Miller (who I run into and speak with on occasion, he trains and lives near me in OC, comes out to lots of ammy shows) is clearly mentally ill, and there is no evidence that it's the result of getting punched. Trust me, he is financially very comfortable.

Randleman - RIP and no disrespect, made MILLIONS between his dozens of fights in the UFC and Pride and clearly abused steroids. The fact that his girlfriend was soliciting donations after his death doesnt mean he was broke, or that he was was responsible with his finances.

Coleman - posterchild steroid abuser and likely alcoholic, by his own admission, blew all his money on hookers and booze and stupid shit. He also made MILLIONS in UFC and Pride, but didnt save enough to pay for health insurance, a 50k surgery, or ensure the future of his children.

Kerr - self admitted alcoholic and drug addict (no disrespect, I am a recovering alc/addict myself). Also made MILLIONS in UFC and Pride but showed very poor money management and responsibility.

Tyson - Career acoholic and obvious irresponsible with finances.

Can you see the pattern? These individuals made poor decisions.

I hear you man... I guess it was a callout on saying "most" fighters end up with brain damage and destitute, when in fact the overwhelming majority, perhaps 99%, end up somewhere on the "normal" spectrum of both health and income.

Looking at the names you mentioned and equating them as the "norm" is not a fair representation. These are clearly the exception and not the rule:

Ken Shamrock has a net worth of 1.5 million.

Mayham Miller (who I run into and speak with on occasion, he trains and lives near me in OC, comes out to lots of ammy shows) is clearly mentally ill, and there is no evidence that it's the result of getting punched. Trust me, he is financially very comfortable.

Randleman - RIP and no disrespect, made MILLIONS between his dozens of fights in the UFC and Pride and clearly abused steroids. The fact that his girlfriend was soliciting donations after his death doesnt mean he was broke, or that he was was responsible with his finances.

Coleman - posterchild steroid abuser and likely alcoholic, by his own admission, blew all his money on hookers and booze and stupid shit. He also made MILLIONS in UFC and Pride, but didnt save enough to pay for health insurance, a 50k surgery, or ensure the future of his children.

Kerr - self admitted alcoholic and drug addict (no disrespect, I am a recovering alc/addict myself). Also made MILLIONS in UFC and Pride but showed very poor money management and responsibility.

Tyson - Career acoholic and obvious irresponsible with finances.

Can you see the pattern? These individuals made poor decisions.
Very interesting indeed. Yeah I see it. The only one I wish to dispute is Ken shamrock worth 1.5 mil. Why is he poor mouthing and living in an RV? That was the last update I saw. As far as the randleman one, I think that's very greedy to ask for funeral cost if he was that well off. I figured the poor guy didn't have money to even see a doctor if he died of pneumonia. It's pretty rare to die from unless you have a reason to just not be treated. A bit of an assumption on my part but reasonable guess.

Many MMA fighters have retired or washed out from professional competition in their 30's. What do they do next? What options do they have to earn a living? How do they maintain the same standard of living?

Proper 12 ya goof

Always have a back up plan. It’s like some kid that goes to Hollywood trying to be an actor or going to college to be an artist or writer

Jeff Monson became a communist and got a Russian citizenship.

So, that.

Depending on where you live it's not that east to make it even if you havent been a fighter

Another advantage of American wrestlers

They don't get the gravy scholarships, so many of them actually have to earn their degrees.

A lil some some to fall back on.

@Frode Falch how do you pay your bills, bro ?

Like i always did. From my normal job.

Yeah i did some pro fights. But it was never my main income.

That goes for most kick and thaiboxers outside the biggest arenas. We got normal jobs between the training and fights.

They have plenty of options...security, coaching, sports education, school teacher, gym, nutritionist, strength and conditioning coach, television, fight promoter...really not that hard.

Some of these are okay, but the bold ones... are you trolling or dumb? The average fighter has ZERO knowledge when it comes to strength training or nutrition. 99% of the UFC roster wouldn't be able to teach proper squat form or tell you how many calories are in a gram of protein.

School teacher is just comical. The average MMA fighter has a 90 IQ with repeated brain trauma, low inhibition and a HS diploma. Let's go teach some kids.

Some of these are okay, but the bold ones... are you trolling or dumb? The average fighter has ZERO knowledge when it comes to strength training or nutrition. 99% of the UFC roster wouldn't be able to teach proper squat form or tell you how many calories are in a gram of protein.

School teacher is just comical. The average MMA fighter has a 90 IQ with repeated brain trauma, low inhibition and a HS diploma. Let's go teach some kids.

They obviously don't just jump straight from MMA to another career. They should have more than enough money to survive a few years to obtain some further education or on job training.

Who is the average fighter ? MMA has a pretty diverse range of fighters, if we're talking about western culture from what I've seen majority of them are relatively intelligent. A lot of the Americans especially with wrestling backgrounds have a decent education or even college degrees.

Back