"A cheaply made knife is almost as bad as no knife at all"

fightingrabbit

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Granted I never been in a knife fight, but I find the rationale behind this statement kind of odd. I was wondering what you guys thought about this? I have some cheap made in China knife that I found laying around (Tac-force?) and in a life threatening situation I think I'd be way better off with a cheap piece of shit knife than my hands.

I mean if a knife can stab and cut regardless of how cheap it is, how is it as bad as having no knife at all?

Even a dull one will still hurt. It's still metal. And it's still better than knives back in the days. That's like saying 100 years ago nobody used knives or swords.

Yeah sounds like a BS statement. While it's always better to have quality tools, I'm going to assume that many people have been killed by cheap knives. Prison shanks are made of all sorts of crap and yet can still be dangerous weapons, certainly better than no weapon at all.

Is it a folder? If so, those can break and clamp down and cut your own fingers

If not, you're probably ok

Either way, I'd just use it for the moment but plan on upgrading to something decent (not necessarily expensive)

Yeah maybe a really cheap folder could be bad but basically anything semi sharp and metal can quickly end somebody.

I've got some cheap($15-30) mtech type fixed knives just to fuck with and beat up. I definitely wouldn't want to get attacked by one. They don't come very sharp but that can be changed, they would still stab pretty well.

BS statement by so-called expert.

Even the crappiest swiss-army folder with a tiny blade can be incapacitating if used to slash the face (one of the quickest thing to do with a knife) or the hand.

I have seen crappy knives that I would never trust to thrust, though, but they are very crappy.

Countless cultures notorious for knife fighting were using POS knives to fight with. In Alger for example, thugs used "doug doug" to fight. Check out this POS :

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douk-douk

It didn't stop them from becoming pretty adept at knife fighting.

Even a pen is better than bare hands.

Take me and any other person on earth, give one of us a $3000 custom knife-fighting tactical knife and one of us a box cutter and have us go at it, we're both going to bleed. Then switch who has which weapon, and we're again both going to bleed. I've had more than a decade of knife training, and it's just very, very likely to get cut when two people have blades.

Give me a really nice 3" knife and give my opponent a crappy stamped-steel machete, and they'll have an advantage. It's really hard to overcome a longer reach. I might get in by experience but I'll probably bleed.

Two things about knife fights:

1. Don't.

2. Choose as long and sturdy a fixed-blade knife as you're comfortable carrying. A rapier would do nicely.

3. Alternately, carry the knife that's going to work best for what you use it for most. Like opening envelopes, opening boxes, skinning deer and cleaning fish, cutting and whittling a stick for roasting marshmallows, etc. Then if you have to use it to kill someone, you at least have experience handling it. And/or take a bunch of years of Kali, but you're still going to bleed.

Take me and any other person on earth, give one of us a $3000 custom knife-fighting tactical knife and one of us a box cutter and have us go at it, we're both going to bleed. Then switch who has which weapon, and we're again both going to bleed. I've had more than a decade of knife training, and it's just very, very likely to get cut when two people have blades.

Give me a really nice 3" knife and give my opponent a crappy stamped-steel machete, and they'll have an advantage. It's really hard to overcome a longer reach. I might get in by experience but I'll probably bleed.

Two things about knife fights:

1. Don't.

2. Choose as long and sturdy a fixed-blade knife as you're comfortable carrying. A rapier would do nicely.

3. Alternately, carry the knife that's going to work best for what you use it for most. Like opening envelopes, opening boxes, skinning deer and cleaning fish, cutting and whittling a stick for roasting marshmallows, etc. Then if you have to use it to kill someone, you at least have experience handling it. And/or take a bunch of years of Kali, but you're still going to bleed.

8-dodgeball-quotes.gif

Back