A Capella/Spoken Word

Jackonfire

BMF Mod
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The power of the human voice.

So this thread doesn't have to be strictly A Capella. But maybe keep the emphasis on the human voice as the main instrument.

There's something primal about 2 or more humans coming together to sing a song and harmonize with one another.

I'll start with The Persuasions covering the last song Jerry Garcia ever sang live in front of an audience. The absence of instruments somehow make this song more emotional and powerful, at least for me.

The Persuasions also did an album of Bob Dylan covers that was, in my opinion, pretty hit and miss. But I thought this was a fun take on a song that coincidentally, the Grateful Dead also covered.

Choirs. Sometimes I absolutely love them. Listening to a group of humans all singing together with or without instruments is one of my favorite things. Doesn't even have to be some professional production. Just a bunch of people singing together.

I don't speak Gaelic, But I do find myself singing along with this song.

Although there is a piano accompaniment, this is still all about the human voice

I agree, sometimes the human voice as an instrument in and of itself is great.

There is a traditional style of Irish music called sean-nós, it's very hard to sing as it's requires a lot of vocal skill but some of the songs are wonderful. I posted a few in my Irish folk thread, but they will fit here too. I don't speak much gaeilge either, but I can still enjoy the music.

This is one of my favourites, Máire Ní Eidhin (used to be on YT, thank god someone saved it lol):

Iarla Ó Lionáird is one of the best singers out there:

and completely unrelated but other vocal stuff that I love is the hymns that the Fiji rugby and rugby league teams sing before and after games:

Last edited:
I agree, sometimes the human voice as an instrument in and of itself is great.

There is a traditional style of Irish music called sean-nós, it's very hard to sing as it's requires a lot of vocal skill but some of the songs are wonderful. I posted a few in my Irish folk thread, but they will fit here too. I don't speak much gaeilge either, but I can still enjoy the music.

This is one of my favourites, Máire Ní Eidhin (used to be on YT, thank god someone saved it lol):

I was hoping you would post something in this thread. This is what I'm talking about. I have no idea what she is saying but it doesn't even matter. It gave me the chills listening to it. There's sincerity in her voice. There's a power ther that you can feel. Everyone in the pub is just sitting quietly listening to her sing. Love it.

Iarla Ó Lionáird is one of the best singers out there:

I really enjoyed this as well. Although there is musical accompaniment, this is really all about that voice. Lovely.

and completely unrelated but other vocal stuff that I love is the hymns that the Fiji rugby and rugby league teams sing before and after games:

And this! This is something I've heard about a few years back. I had watched a few video's but had forgotten about it. I think this is a great example of the power of the human voice.

One of my biggest regrets is not taking that road trip in 1997 to meet William H Burroughs. My ex had it all planned out. She had even exchanged letters with him. Fuck me.

I love this. When a writer reads their own words it takes on a certain cadence that is almost musical. Which makes sense because I'm sure as they're writing, they can hear it in their heads.

I first heard this on a Sub Pop compilation. But its more than just a reading. There's a rhythm to the way he speaks for sure.

Nice. I'll admit that I haven't really done any deep dives into Flogging Molly. For whatever reason, I always had the impression that they were a Pogues rip off band. But each single I've heard, I've enjoyed. And this is no exception.

Great song.

With an acoustic guitar accompaniment

No matter how far wrong you've gone
You can always turn around

Eventually some mandolin comes into the song but the first section is all vocals:

One of my biggest regrets is not taking that road trip in 1997 to meet William H Burroughs. My ex had it all planned out. She had even exchanged letters with him. Fuck me.

I love this. When a writer reads their own words it takes on a certain cadence that is almost musical. Which makes sense because I'm sure as they're writing, they can hear it in their heads.

I first heard this on a Sub Pop compilation. But its more than just a reading. There's a rhythm to the way he speaks for sure.

Oh well, at least you have the letters. I'd have them framed.

Eventually some mandolin comes into the song but the first section is all vocals:

Nice. I've noticed you have posted some songs from these guys in other threads and I've really liked what I've heard. Any recommendations for where to jump in?

So not technically a cappella or spoken word, here's a great example of the human voice none the less. Grace Jones isolated track singing White Rabbit (Thank gods for Youtube)

I first heard this on a Folkways: A Vision Shared — A Tribute to Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly. I checked it out from my local library because it had Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson among others on the CD. But this song turned out to be one of those hidden gems.

Nice. I've noticed you have posted some songs from these guys in other threads and I've really liked what I've heard. Any recommendations for where to jump in?

Fleet Foxes are by far my favourite modern band! Their best record is, for me anyway, their second one Helplessness Blues. But they don't have that many so to be honest you could just listen chronologically. Firstly the Sun Giant EP (which that song is from), then their self-titled debut record and then Helplessness Blues. All are great, some of the best vocal harmonies this side of Crosby, Stills and Nash :)

Their third LP, Crack-Up, is out in a few weeks too, but it has leaked (couldn't resists) and it is another masterpiece, though a little different. Two singles out from that so far.

I first heard this on a Folkways: A Vision Shared — A Tribute to Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly. I checked it out from my local library because it had Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson among others on the CD. But this song turned out to be one of those hidden gems.

Love this!

Not incredible from a vocals perspective, but raw feeling -

Back