• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

7.62x39 vs. 5.56x45

Also what about the 545x39? how does that compare with the 556?

And I hear that the 762x39 can punch through barriers better than the 556. Isnt that a really nice advantage?

But what about ligaments, tendons, and bone? Those are not highly elastic. Doesnt damage done to those parts of the body also factor in when judging "effectiveness"?

But also even less likely to be affected by 'temporary cavity'.

Also what about the 545x39? how does that compare with the 556?

And I hear that the 762x39 can punch through barriers better than the 556. Isnt that a really nice advantage?

My opinion of the 5.45 is that its basically like 5.56, only slightly worse in every way. One exception might be the fact that it has a tapered cartridge, which would make extraction easier.

You might know the saying how 'make things as simple as possible, but no simpler', there's a similar principle at work in cartridge design for small arms.

You want something that will reach out to the distances you need, and will penetrate the targets you intend, and and then you cut down as much as possible after that.

This is important since the major studies in small arms lethality have showed that volume of fire is the biggest correlation in casualty rates, and being able to carry a larger ammo supply also affords greater flexibility in small unit tactics (being able to keep up greater amounts of suppressing fire, for instance).

When it comes to the 7.62x39, the question is, are there any Barriers it can penetrate that 5.56x45 can't that are of the most common relevance? Well designed 5.56 rounds like TSX, SOST, or bonded SP can all penetrate common barriers like car doors, drywall, or wood siding. In any case, trying to hit an enemy through concealment is a rather niche application anyways.

My personal opinion for the best intermediate cartridge would be 6mm BR.

Lol, so many suckers buy into 'stopping power' bullshit, and its all retarded.

there are two things that matter in small arms lethality: shot placement, and penetration. Shot placement to actually hit vitals, and penetration to actually reach vitals, anything beyond that is barely a factor.

If you don't hit the CNS or heart, it doesn't matter if you're using 50 bmg, you're not stopping shit, just hoping they maybe bleed out 10 minutes later (after they've already killed you).

I agree for the most part but the 50 BMG is a powerful round. Yeah if you hit an enemies wrist or lower leg or with a grazing shot, its not gonna stop them DRT. Regarding the 50BMG, even a gut shot will result in some nasty damage. Google deer hunting with 50bmg. The deer are typically hit in the vitals but theres like a 12" exit wound lol.

Wouldn't .50 BMG center mass just rip a person's insides to shreds or is it moving so quick it just passes through?

Plus I swear I've read stories of that round hitting people in the shoulder/leg (not necessarily the guy was aiming for the shoulder it just happened) and blowing limbs off and depending on how far away from the firing position it can punch baseball sized holes in people on the exit wound.

I get what you're saying but I think you picked a poor round for the analogy honestly. The .50 BMG was designed as an anti-material round so if it hits a person even IF the person is somehow still CONSCIOUS after getting hit with it... PRETTY sure that fucker won't be getting back up and it isn't from "knockdown" power but from pure, utter, fucking pain/shock of seeing your insides on the outside.

I can get what you're saying if it was say a .300 Win Mag, .308, or even .338 Lapua as I've heard from friends them seeing a guy get hit with those in combat and still moving/fighting until they collapse from blood loss 5 minutes later. I've just always been under the impression that .50 BMG as it was designed to TAKE OUT VEHICLES just basically disintegrates any... well... organic material it hits.

Just to clarify, not sure if you were aware, but the .50BMG was designed as an anti aircraft round. There was just so much surplus ammo on hand that the military decided to move it into different platforms, like sniper rifles.

Just to clarify, not sure if you were aware, but the .50BMG was designed as an anti aircraft round. There was just so much surplus ammo on hand that the military decided to move it into different platforms, like sniper rifles.
I always knew it was meant as an anti vehicle round

Also when I was referencing it being shot at humans I was thinking of it coming out of a M2 vehicle mounted platform, not a Barrett

Both have their place I suppose.

250 yards or less with potential barriers (cars, walls, etc.) I'll take the 7.62x39 all day.

Back