50 year old jiu Jitsu black belt supplemental training question

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have appreciated your advice over the years. I am normally just a lurker, but I have a question.

Should I add or subtract anything from my simple plan?

My goal is to live to 100 and eventually get my red belt at 92. I am not much of a gym fan. I prefer just doing jiu Jitsu and then going for a hike or a swim in my pool. I am also a dancer which helps me with balance among other things. When I go to the gym this is my normal workout...

Tread mill 5-10 minutes

Squat

1 warm up set with just the bar
3 x 8-10 depending on how technical my set is going (I stop at 8 if I feel wobbly.)
1 more set with the bar only.

I can deep squat. My heels and butt can touch. (Not quite comfortable with weight)

Incline press

3 x 8-10

Dead lift (sometimes bent over rows or pull ups)

1-2 x 8

Swim for 20 minutes

I seem to do this twice a week for like 4 weeks and then nothing for a couple of weeks. Sometimes I will just squat and swim.
I am already one of the strongest guys at the academy. Most of my training partners are smaller than me. In my division (master 4 black heavy I'm 6ft 1 in and weigh 205lbs) I usually have a strength advantage. I'll go through phases where I work exclusively on my cardio and yoga. That's probably where I have a defecit.

I want to be in and out if the gym in about an hour 2 times per week. I want to live a long, healthy, and injury free life. Any suggestions to tweak this?

Thanks. Also, I have read the FAQ, but not lately. I also have Joel Jamieson's on' book "ultimate MMA conditioning"

Thanks again.

One last thing... Special thanks to jrt6 who said "just do a squat, pull, and press." Pretty much followed that advice.

Last edited:
Looks like a good simple plan.

I suggest that you keep doing what you are doing.

One of the biggest things that you will want to maintain is muscle mass, especially as you get older. Everything else seems to be good. You're strength training and doing enough cardiovascular exercise.

Thanks, guys. The simplest way is usually the best.

i train a lot old people. we have some pretty agile over 70 and even over 80 guys. they are thin and happy fellows.

mindset is a powerful thing.

i think your activities are perfect. dancing and bjj, swimming and some easy lifting.

good physical, mental and social health all go hand in hand.

high quality diet, movement and meditation is the trias i always advice to people.

cheers

Have you gotten stronger at all doing this or just maintained?
I have been lifting and training for several years but it seems like its hard to make much progress with weights because I inevitably get hurt or start doing lots of rolling and stop lifting consistently.
Also- how much are you squatting and deadlifting?
I rolled with you a few years ago and you were really strong.Getting to a similar level would be a good goal for me.

I would say maintaining only. I focus more on stable, slow, full range of motion lifting.
After about 6 weeks off, I start with just the plates on the bar for squats and Deads. Only 115 lbs for incline press.
I add each session. I got to 225 lbs at one time for squats.
Not very impressive, I know...
I think my "strength" comes from my athletic abitlity. (Posture, balance, weight distribution, technical proficiency)
A lot of people say that I am strong, but there are many smaller people who can lift way more than me.
My goal is to help my body stay structurally sound.
Have you gotten stronger at all doing this or just maintained?
I have been lifting and training for several years but it seems like its hard to make much progress with weights because I inevitably get hurt or start doing lots of rolling and stop lifting consistently.
Also- how much are you squatting and deadlifting?
I rolled with you a few years ago and you were really strong.Getting to a similar level would be a good goal for me.

High quality diet along with niacin, vitamin k-2 and arginine to keep the blood vessels and arteries clean and healthy.

Plan looks simple, sustainable and effective.

Take some ostarine sarms,it would benefit you allot at your age.

I will have to do some research on these items. Niacin and vitamin k-2 are in my liquid multi vitamin. I've never heard of ostarine sarms. I had a girlfriend who took arginine to have better orgasms.
My buddy owns a supplement store and I've tried t boosters. He tells me about his clients (wealthy gym rats in their forties and fifties) who swear by hgh. I'm not against trying it down the road if I need it.
Sleep, water, turmeric, ginger, walking, salads, protein shakes, and recovery as a priority have been working for me so far.
I'm still "one of the tough guys" on my jiu Jitsu team. Nobody thinks I am just some old guy. I've got them fooled!
Thanks for your tips. Much appreciated.
High quality diet along with niacin, vitamin k-2 and arginine to keep the blood vessels and arteries clean and healthy.

Plan looks simple, sustainable and effective.

Take some ostarine sarms,it would benefit you allot at your age.

I will have to do some research on these items. Niacin and vitamin k-2 are in my liquid multi vitamin. I've never heard of ostarine sarms. I had a girlfriend who took arginine to have better orgasms.
My buddy owns a supplement store and I've tried t boosters. He tells me about his clients (wealthy gym rats in their forties and fifties) who swear by hgh. I'm not against trying it down the road if I need it.
Sleep, water, turmeric, ginger, walking, salads, protein shakes, and recovery as a priority have been working for me so far.
I'm still "one of the tough guys" on my jiu Jitsu team. Nobody thinks I am just some old guy. I've got them fooled!
Thanks for your tips. Much appreciated.

Tumeric is excellent for keeping the liver happy.

Niacin and vit k-2 i have used for years to keep my cholesterol in good standing. I started using them when i was competing in bodybuilding. I was generally eating 3-4 pounds of red meat per day, and it definitely kept things in good standing.

Arginine helps repair cell walls of your arteries and blood vessels, and makes them more pliable. Very important supplement for caffeine users, since caffeine has a negative effect in that area.

I also recommend vitamin-d3, since the body has a harder time absorbing it as time goes on. After blood work, i had to take 10,000 i.u.s per day for 60 days before i was in a healthy range, then maintain it at that dose.

To keep nerves healthy, i recommend vitamin b-12 and choline, since they are built and maintained by them.

Best bet is to get a full panel of blood work to see if you have any deficiencies, including vitamin-d, then adjust from there.

Back