Oscar De La Hoya: ‘MMA fighter pay gets me sick to my stomach’

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/8/...pay-it-gets-me-sick-to-my-stomach-boxing-news

“I’m really looking forward to getting into the MMA world and making sure that these fighters are being compensated well,” De La Hoya told Fight Hub TV. “Because look, we risk our lives up in the ring. So fighters should be compensated extremely well.”

“The current structure is terrible,” De La Hoya said. “I’ve been talking to many, many fighters in the MMA, and it’s ridiculous on what they get paid. It’s crazy. It gets me sick to my stomach.”

“I’m gonna start Golden Boy MMA for a reason, and that’s gonna start with Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz to pay them correctly. To pay them what they deserve.”

<{titihmm}>

Waiting to see how this turns out. Easy to say when it isnt him doing the paying so far.
Lets see when he comes into the game.

The UFC pays better than pro boxing overall. There really isn't any boxing promotion that guarantees the money that the UFC does.

There have been guys on ESPN Friday night fights making peanuts, literally hundreds of dollars. You don't see that in the UFC.

But in MMA overall, like boxing, there isn't much money to be made.

Official reply from Daner just out:

“F*€%#n weirdo goof goofapotomus”

<31>

He also gets sick when he's forced to dress like a man.

5708565.jpg

The UFC pays better than pro boxing overall. There really isn't any boxing promotion that guarantees the money that the UFC does.

There have been guys on ESPN Friday night fights making peanuts, literally hundreds of dollars. You don't see that in the UFC.

But in MMA overall, like boxing, there isn't much money to be made.
I mean guys who went on tuf didn't even get paid unless they won that's like 4 pro fights.

The nasuea is probably from a too-tight brassiere.

But yes, UFC pay is despicable and the Reebok deal is outlandishly exploitative.

Rape anybody who can't stop you, externalize all costs, and abuse every for-sale regulatory loophole is basically modern business.

I mean guys who went on tuf didn't even get paid unless they won that's like 4 pro fights.
Fucked up, true. But they're technically not 'UFC fighters' and the fights are 'exhibitions'.

I agree it's not cool, but I don't know how that works either.

My favorite line by De La Hoya was where he was talking about fighters risking their lives in the ring and yet he is putting two guys in the ring that should be nowhere near it.

Chuck likely already has brain damage.

What were some of those undercard paydays on the McGregor vs. Mayweather PPV?

De La Hoya is right.

De La Hoya came from boxing, a sport where boxers get a huge chunk of the pie......He doesn't understand how UFC Fighters, who do something very similar are only getting a fraction.

We need to respect UFC fighters!!!!!!!!

You get paid what you're worth. If you don't bring in any money why should you make more. No company will hire you if they lose money on you not just in MMA but any job. Mcregor for example gets paid cause he's making the company a lot more than his salary. Simple as that.

You get paid what you're worth. If you don't bring in any money why should you make more. No company will hire you if they lose money on you not just in MMA but any job. Mcregor for example gets paid cause he's making the company a lot more than his salary. Simple as that.
The monopoly model is the problem.

Does the Reebok deal pay fighters based on worth? Wouldn't 3rd party sponsors be a better metric for assessing worth?

Well its good to hear that golden boy MMA will only have 1 event. MMA cannot pay like boxing because they are very different business models. Oscar will overpay everyone then proceed to not have a second event. That is why Shane Mosley MMA events were all ammy, its to hard to make money in pro MMA as a promoter.

This is the same guy that went out of his way to tell people not to get May/Mac.

We'll see what happens. I wonder how much he'll pay the fighters on the undercard.

You don’t compare sport can sport, you comprare event vs event. It’s not fair to sa UFC pays better than ESPN Friday fights where no one knows anyone in some ballroom at some flyover state.

But when you compare an equally big ufc event with an equally big boxing event, where the guys in suits are making a lot of money, the pay disparity is shocking. If boxing gets a 1.5 million ppv event you can be sure one boxer is making at least 10 to 15 million and the other 5 or more. In the UFC if you get a 1.5 million ppv it’s still rare to see anyone making over 1 million. Sure they get ppv cut but that’s something else.

In other words, the big wigs in the ufc stay with a bigger slice of the pie

You don’t compare sport can sport, you comprare event vs event. It’s not fair to sa UFC pays better than ESPN Friday fights where no one knows anyone in some ballroom at some flyover state.

But when you compare an equally big ufc event with an equally big boxing event, where the guys in suits are making a lot of money, the pay disparity is shocking. If boxing gets a 1.5 million ppv event you can be sure one boxer is making at least 10 to 15 million and the other 5 or more. In the UFC if you get a 1.5 million ppv it’s still rare to see anyone making over 1 million. Sure they get ppv cut but that’s something else.

In other words, the big wigs in the ufc stay with a bigger slice of the pie

This is the same guy that went out of his way to tell people not to get May/Mac.

We'll see what happens. I wonder how much he'll pay the fighters on the undercard.
May/Mac was a scam, so...

Back