The difference between Rumble and Gustafsson

Bear Trapp

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
There is a huge difference in the way Rumble and Gustafsson handled both their losses to DC.

Rumble, after losing, earned his rematch fast by murdering Manuwa, Bader and Texeira in quick succession (all were top 5). Cormier granted him his rematch as he deserved one.

Gustafsson: takes a year off. Has a boring fight with an unranked guy. Takes a year off. Has a dominant fight against Texeira. Takes a year off. Yes Gus is by far the most likely to beat Cormier but you can't just sit around doing nothing and expect a title shot.

Now he won't fight Anthony Smith, someone he would likely starch in the first round.

Waste of talent. I dislike him more every day.

There is a huge difference in the way Rumble and Gustafsson handled both their losses to DC.

Rumble, after losing, earned his rematch fast by murdering Manuwa, Bader and Texeira in quick succession (all were top 5). Cormier granted him his rematch as he deserved one.

Gustafsson: takes a year off. Has a boring fight with an unranked guy. Takes a year off. Has a dominant fight against Texeira. Takes a year off. Yes Gus is by far the most likely to beat Cormier but you can't just sit around doing nothing and expect a title shot.

Now he won't fight Anthony Smith, someone he would likely starch in the first round.

Waste of talent. I dislike him more every day.

The biggest difference

gus%2B2.gif

Gus is turning into Cain Velasquez he never fights

I don't disagree with your overall point, but I'm also tired of champs calling their own shots too. The belt is the UFC's and the UFC should determine the next challenger. It shouldn't be up to the champ to decide who has "earned" a shot or not.

In reality, none of this matters because DC is going to fight Brock at HW and then retire. The LHW belt will soon be vacant (and highly likely the HW belt as well).

Rumble put the fear of god into him

He was actually a very active fighter before that fateful night of January 24, 2015....

Absolutely correct. What's more pathetic is the fans who continue to support him despite his lengthy inactivity and willingness to throw shade at fighters who step in the cage while he himself refuses to make the walk.

This is a good post but hear me out:

I think we are at a time now where fighters realize the risk of fighting. Obviously they know its dangerous, but they realize money isn't that great in MMA and the effects of CTE are scary. Guys like Gus and Woodley are being divas because they want to the best of both worlds. The problem is, this isn't boxing. There aren't 4 titles per weight class. In the UFC, there are a maximum of two per weight class (including interim), so these guys end up holding up the entire division. Gus is without a doubt the best LHW in the world currently. Cormier is a HW now and Jones is a suspended cheater. But he doesn't even have the belt. I am starting to dislike him as well.

I agree with you though, Gus needs to shit or get off the pot. He either needs to fight a top contender, or fight immediately. It's getting annoying.

What poor comparison since rumble gave up and quit

Gustafsson is picky with his opponents

Rumble plain cracks under pressure and is has no character

I don't disagree that Rumble has done some things outside of the cage that were questionable at absolute best, but he also never served 15 months in prison for inflicting "grievous bodily harm" like Gus did either.

How can you put Rumbles character into quation when Gus was the one who served time for assaulting men and women.

I must say Gus is quickly losing me as a fan.

I wish he'd just shut up and fight. Stop acting like he's owed something.

Everything DC said was the truth. Ice cold....but the truth.

I must say Gus is quickly losing me as a fan.

I wish he'd just shut up and fight. Stop acting like he's owed something.

Everything DC said was the truth. Ice cold....but the truth.

It wasn't, though. DCs post was full of lies.

I just can't defend Gus anymore. I don't blame him for wanting a ts but it's pretty clear he doesn't have that drive anymore.

Back