Thoughts on potential Aldo vs Ortega matchup?

20falarVerdades

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
IMO Aldo is too much for Brian and would outclass him in every facet of the game. Aldo's striking is much more refined and his elite BJJ (beat Cobrinha in pure jiu jitsu) would prevent him from getting submitted

IMO Aldo is too much for Brian and would outclass him in every facet of the game. Aldo's striking is much more refined and his elite BJJ (beat Cobrinha in pure jiu jitsu) would prevent him from getting submitted
Agreed. And this fight would never hit the ground with Aldo's godly takedown defense which would make it even harder for Ortega. And on the feet Aldo is better and has more weapons.

I would have said that even dimnished, whiny Aldo would be trouble for Ortega, since he'll remain a grapplerslayer for a while, probably.

Then, Ortega just KTFO'd Edgar.... Not sure what to expect now.

I think we need to see where current Aldo is at after he fights someone who isn't Max or Conor. Let's see how he deals with Stephens first.

Aldo fades towards the later half of the fight and Ortega puts on immense pressure at that time. I think its a late finish for Ortega 7/10 times.

If Aldo is back in form he should school Ortega, but right now I wouldn't bet on it.

Cobrahinha Schmobrahinha. He can't have some flawless BJJ legacy because of that one match people have been referencing for ten years.

He has lost to mid-level opposition in BJJ competition more recently and has never submitted anyone in The UFC, or even the WEC.

Ortega on the other hand is an absolute grappling phenom and has the highlight reel to prove it.

Personally, I don't see Aldo winning this fight.

Ortega surprises me (and pretty much everyone I think it is safe to say) time and time again.

The guy has KO power and one of the scariest submission games out there currently. He's a nightmare matchup for everyone honestly

If Ortega loses to Holloway and Aldo beats Stephens this fight might very well happen in late 2018 or early 2019. At that point I would bet on Ortega. Ortega maybe isn't as good as prime Aldo yet but I don't think this is prime Aldo anymore. Aldo has been (T)KOd 3 times in his last 4 fights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aldo past it...
Prime Aldo would give ortega a good fight but this Aldo... Nah.

you can expect Ortega KOs or choke Aldo , nothing less nothing more

Just a year ago he had been likely losing vs Moicano, before Moicano shot for that moronic TD....

Still haven't shown anything in terms of good TDs, 'just' was able to conjure that ridiculous choke on Swanson out of nowhere.

So judging by his last fights, it depends on whether Aldo exposes himself at close range, just like Edgar did.

I still would expect Aldo to be superior at firing away at distance. And his TDD will hold up.

I have no doubt that Ortega would handle aldo easily in the standup and on the ground.

If Aldo beats Stephens I think this is the fight to make regardless of the outcome of Ortega vs Holloway.
I'd like to see Renato Moicano fight Holloway as well. Moicano is very underrated. He has one single loss to Ortega. Ranked #9 despite having beaten Stephens, who's ranked #4.

Just a year ago he had been likely losing vs Moicano, before Moicano shot for that moronic TD....

Still haven't shown anything in terms of good TDs, 'just' was able to conjure that ridiculous choke on Swanson out of nowhere.

So judging by his last fights, it depends on whether Aldo exposes himself at close range, just like Edgar did.

I still would expect Aldo to be superior at firing away at distance. And his TDD will hold up.

I believe Moicano is one of the top guys in the division right now. He soundly outpointed Jeremy Stephens. He's just overlooked because he's Brazilian and has been winning decisions.

Think Aldo matches up very well against Ortega. Ortega won't be able to get him down and won't be able to outstrike him.

I love Aldo but I dont see him dealing with bigger guys who have longer reach anymore at this point in his career.

I have no doubt that Ortega would handle aldo easily in the standup and on the ground.

Leg kick Aldo would be a tougher fight. At this point Ortega squeezes after lighting him up standing.

Back