Thoughts on potential Aldo vs Ortega matchup?

Ortega wins by not being a short stocky wrestler.
Ortega is a better version of KZ. A prime Aldo beats Ortega in the same way.

0-35866

Leg kick Aldo would be a tougher fight. At this point Ortega squeezes after lighting him up standing.
Wec aldo who was much more unpredictable and dynamic in all aspects of the game would have posed a few threats to Ortega. Currently at this point Ortega would retire aldo.

Ortega is just too crafty to let aldo get out of 3 rounds. Ortega would be the most well rounded fighter aldo would ever have faced and is not just a wrestleboxer that aldo likes to fight.

Wec aldo who was much more unpredictable and dynamic in all aspects of the game would have posed a few threats to Ortega. Currently at this point Ortega would retire aldo.

Ortega is just too crafty to let aldo get out of 3 rounds. Ortega would be the most well rounded fighter aldo would ever have faced and is not just a wrestleboxer that aldo likes to fight.

Ortega would have to be checking some brutal kicks fighting any Aldo pre-Conroy.

Ortega would have to be checking some brutal kicks fighting any Aldo pre-Conroy.
I just doubt anything any featherweight ever has had to offer could phase Ortega. He would just find a way around it like he has done so far.

I like Jose, but Aldo is past his prime. If he was to win, it would be a decision, and fighting from the outside, lots of movement, hit and move, in and out.

I'm also a huge T-Clitty fan, and he could certainly beat Aldo at this point; bigger guy, better cardio, younger, did something Jose couldn't do (KO Edgar), etc.

What Brian is doing is what I wish a lot of other BJJ based fighters would learn/apply; don't chase TD's (tires you the fuck out, ala Maia), get a effective and varied striking game (not Maia's 1/2's, repeat), use your striking to create submission opportunities, adjust your BJJ for MMA-you have to seize chances quicker and better; no gi, 5 minute rounds, etc don't favor a Jit's guy, you gotta go NOW, think what he did versus Cub, or what Wally Alves did versus Cody (why Maia and RDA didn't attempt the guillotine in the clinch is beyond me, granted, Maia was given little clinch time).

Da Bronx has done this to a varying degree as well...with successes and failures (noticed his two-in-a-row choke losses were from when he exposed his neck wrestling...the irony). He's still one of my fav sub guys. I think if he can get his weight cutting sorted out, maybe go to a camp like Kings, he can pull a RDA and get on a win streak...he's only 28, with lots of experience.

Anyways, off topic lol. I'd LOVE if it hit the mat, see how their grappling stacks up. My guess is that Jose would be very defensive, and safe, look for top control, GSP type thing.

Would be fun.

Ortega has size and age advantage. I love Aldo but Ortega has that glow about him. The glow of a winner.

I would have said that even dimnished, whiny Aldo would be trouble for Ortega, since he'll remain a grapplerslayer for a while, probably.

Then, Ortega just KTFO'd Edgar.... Not sure what to expect now.

I agree. Aldo is immensely talented but is very close to being a shot fighter.

Ortega batters him without much problem.

Anyone who thinks Aldo wins this and is still elite is in denial. He might be still youngish in years, but he is basically done at this point. He is a far cry from prime WEC Aldo, and at the same time the division has got a lot better and a lot bigger.

Ortega wins by TKO.

I believe Moicano is one of the top guys in the division right now. He soundly outpointed Jeremy Stephens. He's just overlooked because he's Brazilian and has been winning decisions.

I agree that he's good, but from what I recall Guida was giving Ortega tough fight as well, and Guida's standup is what it is.

So far Ortega does still look like a scary finisher without dependable tools to set up the finishes.

The bad news for his opponents is that he keeps getting craftier....

I agree. Aldo is immensely talented but is very close to being a shot fighter.

I would hold thejudgement until I see him against somebody who's not Holloway.

But yeah, dude seems to be working really hard, training with Robert Garcia, Souwer, and all....

Only to keep looking hestitant and gunshy. He's likely on a slide.

Aldo is much more skilled, but Ortega's size and reach are a problem for anyone.

Aldo fades towards the later half of the fight and Ortega puts on immense pressure at that time. I think its a late finish for Ortega 7/10 times.

Ortega isn't a huge pressure fighter, in the way guys like Holloway, Colby/RDA, etc are.

I don't see Ortega gassing out Aldo if he can't take him down. Ortega does not throw volume.

Heck, even Frankie could not gas Aldo out.

Stop talking about what Aldo did as a purple belt in BJJ as if it's relevant to today. Not long ago Aldo got beat in the Master's division of a regional IBJJF tournament by a nobody. Cobrinha would wreck Aldo on the mats today, as would his son.

It is ridiculous how high Ortega’s stock is right now. Frankie was a great win. No doubt. After Max completely wrecks Ortega he’ll be forgotten. He’s a cool story and a fresh face to FW title contention but let’s not get too carried away. Max is going to destroy him.

Back