Till vs Thompson : more fist bumps than strikes with KO potential

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

Vive le Québec libre !
@Steel
Reaction score
Yes it was a nice, technical fight from two excellent fighters, with nice feints, good technique, but it largely looked like sparring to me.

These guys were fist-bumping all the time, always smiling at eachother.

There surely is something missing in prize-fighting when there doesn't seem to be any bad intentions/genuine agression.

And no, I don't like brawls with two flat-footed and tense meatheads either but this was abit meh.

And no, I don't like brawls with two flat-footed and tense meatheads either

Nah, fock dat

akiPX6x.gif

You pretty much just repeated what Bisping said, but yeah it's true

I know all the genius, technique freaks (that don't strike themselves and have no clue whats happening) loved it, but it really sucked honestly. Similar to the Tyron WB fights.

And no, I don't like brawls with two flat-footed and tense meatheads either but this was abit meh.

It was garbage because of Wonderbread. Just running around and refusing to engage, doesn't make it more technical. It's merely bouncing around, doing technical Karatechopsocky points fighting that belongs in a middle school gym, rented out by the local McDojos to hold their tournaments for a trophy.

When trained fighters engage and commit, their strikes are still technical. Muay Thai fighters with 300, 400+ fights, they don't bounce around all over the ring all day. They stand and trade, kill or be killed. Not just potshots then run around, repeat. Even Kyokushin don't bounce around and are mostly flat footed.

I know all the genius, technique freaks (that don't strike themselves and have no clue whats happening) loved it, but it really sucked honestly. Similar to the Tyron WB fights.

I loved the fight

Ok, well he must be a good guy, this Bisping.
I don't know what he said.

It was garbage because of Wonderbread. Just running around and refusing to engage, doesn't make it more technical. It's merely bouncing around, doing technical Karatechopsocky points fighting that belongs in a middle school gym, rented out by the local McDojos to hold their tournaments for a trophy.

When trained fighters engage and commit, their strikes are still technical. Muay Thai fighters with 300, 400+ fights, they don't bounce around all over the ring all day. They stand and trade, kill or be killed. Not just potshots then run around, repeat. Even Kyokushin don't bounce around and are mostly flat footed.

You have a very wrong impression about real (i.e. stadium) Muay Thai.

Sometimes it is exactly that, i.e. extremely technical fights with no real bad intentions as well.

You have a couple crazy fucks like Saeksan or Yodpehtlek, but what it never is, under no circumstances, is "stand and trade, kill or be killed" thing.

I loved the fight

If you liked it that's awesome, but I do feel like people on here pretend to like unentertaining fights to gain clout. It's like people that pretend to like some obscure ass music that sucks just because they think it's cool.

Also, if you don't strike, it's impossible to have an understanding of the technique, you can still enjoy it, but people talk about technique like they know what's happening. I know BJJ aight, but idk shit about striking yet and I admit it.

If you liked it that's awesome, but I do feel like people on here pretend to like unentertaining fights to gain clout. It's like people that pretend to like some obscure ass music that sucks just because they think it's cool.

Also, if you don't strike, it's impossible to have an understanding of the technique, you can still enjoy it, but people talk about technique like they know what's happening. I know BJJ aight, but idk shit about striking yet and I admit it.

I enjoyed it because there’s no doubt that those two are the best in the div as far as striking, and that’s what happens when equally matched opponents face off.

Both dudes had a lot of respect for eachother, but neither held back

Yeah i kinda wish it had more action. But it was a fresh to finaly see a high level striking match in the UFC. Its rare to see. Almost wish it had more rounds.

Its so rare that two high level strikers meet in the octagon.

Reason why it becomes a "boring" chess match is because so much is at stake.

UFC fighters dont fight as often as thai or kickboxing. And each win or loss have bigger impact on your future.

Fighting not to lose.

Thank shit pay and the UFC's utter lack of loyalty to fighters.

I enjoyed the fight, but it's sad too.

Yes it was a nice, technical fight from two excellent fighters, with nice feints, good technique, but it largely looked like sparring to me.

These guys were fist-bumping all the time, always smiling at eachother.

There surely is something missing in prize-fighting when there doesn't seem to be any bad intentions/genuine agression.

Agree with this. The only killer instinct was in the last round. I tend to blame it on Wonderboy. If hes not put in with someone he can dominate he tends to turn every fight into a point-karate match.

Definitely way too much feinting and feeling out in this fight.

Thompson could have thrown more strikes, but expecting him to "stand and trade, kill or be killed" against a dude coming in some 20 pounds heavier is a bit much. One of my regular sparring partners has got a similar size advantage against me, and you have to move around as the lighter guy or you get crushed.

That shit was boring as fuck. Can't believe I watched the entire thing.

Ha ha, I think RDA said almmost exactly the same thing I did about that fight, LOL.

"more gloves touch and hugs than punches to the face"

Agree with this. The only killer instinct was in the last round. I tend to blame it on Wonderboy. If hes not put in with someone he can dominate he tends to turn every fight into a point-karate match.

Definitely way too much feinting and feeling out in this fight.

Yeah I see what you mean.

In a striking match, if you try to close the distance and trade with Thompson, this is when you lose.
He relies heavily on evading and counterattacks, and is hard to catch in a clinch.

All considered, there isn't much more Till could have done.

It's extremely difficult and risky to finish Thompson.

At the same time, I think that this fight showed that if you are patient with Thompson then you certainly are not in danger all the time.

Yeah I see what you mean.

In a striking match, if you try to close the distance and trade with Thompson, this is when you lose.
He relies heavily on evading and counterattacks, and is hard to catch in a clinch.

All considered, there isn't much more Till could have done.

It's extremely difficult and risky to finish Thompson.

At the same time, I think that this fight showed that if you are patient with Thompson then you certainly are not in danger all the time.

It also shows that how good Wonderboy is despite having a kind of boring style. Till smashed Cerrone easily, yet despite the weight advantage and power Wonderboys style was still enough to confuse or slow him down and limit his offense.

Back