Pat Miletich: unknown man who could beat any MMA fighter

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Pat Miletich is talking about a guy name Steve Rusk who had two MMA fights and won but his only recorded battle was a grappling contest against Drysdale and he lost. Anyway, he is saying how this Steve Rusk fella would manhandle guys like Matt and Dave Strasser with ease.

Have you seen people like that who had legendary skills but didn't pursue fighting full time?

Pat Miletich is talking about a guy name Steve Rusk who had two MMA fights and won but his only recorded battle was a grappling contest against Drysdale and he lost. Anyway, he is saying how this Steve Rusk fella would manhandle guys like Matt and Dave Strasser with ease.

Have you seen people like that who had legendary skills but didn't pursue fighting full time?

He google tells me is three times all american and i expect that to be hyper over exaggeration.

Bigger theee tme all american would obviously manhandle smaller grapllers.

A lot of gyms have a similar guy. Not all the best have what it takes to jump through the hoops necessary to get in the cage for a sanctioned fight.

just glad enough of them do to keep it interesting

Its called a C level athlete

The story abour Rusk was back in early days of MMA when the average mma athlete was F level

A lot of gyms have a similar guy. Not all the best have what it takes to jump through the hoops necessary to get in the cage for a sanctioned fight.

just glad enough of them do to keep it interesting

I mean if they have the skill then why not get in there to get some money and recognition?

I mean if they have the skill then why not get in there to get some money and recognition?
Some guys just do it for fun in the gym plus staying healthy.
About the money, they could probably have a high paying corprate job that can cover that can cover alot of broke ufc fighter’s debt with his gas money. No point in quitting that on a gamble, dont forget long term injuries and annoying fight camps and weight cutting. Not everyone is can/wants to be a pro fighter.

the reasons run the gamut, but most are more psychological than physical imo

some people just hate being in the spotlight

Some guys just do it for fun in the gym plus staying healthy.
About the money, they could probably have a high paying corprate job that can cover that can cover alot of broke ufc fighter’s debt with his gas money. No point in quitting that on a gamble, dont forget long term injuries and annoying fight camps and weight cutting. Not everyone is can/wants to be a pro fighter.

But the recognition and fighting in a live audience would be something a person with a great skill would want to strive for. After all, attaining great skills requires perseverance and rising to the occasion and a live event fight adds to that level of inspiration.

the reasons run the gamut, but most are more psychological than physical imo

some people just hate being in the spotlight

What does that even mean!?

If you have legit skills, being a famous fighter would be epic! Like you get interviews but not just that you and your skills are universally recognized as top class. You would be able to express your thoughts and opinions and have people pay attention to it.

There are a lot of elite grapplers out there who have zero interest in getting punched in the head for the chance to make peanuts. Most wouldn't be cut out for it, and they know it.

But the recognition and fighting in a live audience would be something a person with a great skill would want to strive for. After all, attaining great skills requires perseverance and rising to the occasion and a live event fight adds to that level of inspiration.
I know some skilled people who’d highly disagree with that. Could be for something as insignificant as stage fright, I’m talking fobia level. Regardless, when we say UFC thats a full time job. Some would just compete on rare occasion in regional orgs while taking breaks from their much better paying and safer jobs.

I almost started a thread on this yesterday. I just have my doubts about this. I'm sure the guy was talented but to say he's better than known pro fighters (after seeing his loss in grappling) tells me he's not by any means unstoppable.

Ok let's broaden this question. I've already expressed my doubt in the previous response. Let's assume this guy really is that good. There's a chance that this happens all the time in other sports. So, what about other sports?

At a certain point there should be a clear difference between their potential and their actual achievements bc being a pro athlete isn't necessarily easy work. I would love to play a big 4 sport, or other common sport instead of my 9-5. But, there's plenty of people that wasted their talent and took the easy way out by not competing. Maybe they didn't have the work ethic or discipline to stay focused to a sport. Also, It appears that everybody was "good" when they didn't actually compete. And, the older people get...the better they used to be. It's prob some psychological phenomenon. Until somebody gets out there and proves they are legit that good, I'll always have a little skepticism.

That said, I'm sure to this day there is talent walking all over the world with people full of potential or once full of potential. Is Rusk one of those guys? Maybe. I know guys I played sports with in middle school that were outstanding athletes and excelled at most sports. But when they got in high school some just dropped out (some of the best ones) or couldn't stay out of trouble. This is specifically true for my high school football and baseball team who could of used some of that talent and took a good team to a great team. I realize sometimes the talent gap fades away as you get older and move up in competition.

I know some skilled people who’d highly disagree with that. Could be for something as insignificant as stage fright, I’m talking fobia level. Regardless, when we say UFC thats a full time job. Some would just compete on rare occasion in regional orgs while taking breaks from their much better paying and safer jobs.

Stage freight can be corrected. Its a shame to let one thing not allow you to become legend!

Also he already has had few fights and won.

I almost started a thread on this yesterday. I just have my doubts about this. I'm sure the guy was talented but to say he's better than known pro fighters (after seeing his loss in grappling) tells me he's not by any means unstoppable.

This Steve rusk guy was supposed to be MMA wrestler. I posted his grappling because that's all that'
Out there.

Ok let's broaden this question. I've already expressed my doubt in the previous response. Let's assume this guy really is that good. There's a chance that this happens all the time in other sports. So, what about other sports?

At a certain point there should be a clear difference between their potential and their actual achievements bc being a pro athlete isn't necessarily easy work. I would love to play a big 4 sport, or other common sport instead of my 9-5. But, there's plenty of people that wasted their talent and took the easy way out by not competing. Maybe they didn't have the work ethic or discipline to stay focused to a sport. Also, It appears that everybody was "good" when they didn't actually compete. And, the older people get...the better they used to be. It's prob some psychological phenomenon. Until somebody gets out there and proves they are legit that good, I'll always have a little skepticism.

That said, I'm sure to this day there is talent walking all over the world with people full of potential or once full of potential. Is Rusk one of those guys? Maybe. I know guys I played sports with in middle school that were outstanding athletes and excelled at most sports. But when they got in high school some just dropped out (some of the best ones) or couldn't stay out of trouble. This is specifically true for my high school football and baseball team who could of used some of that talent and took a good team to a great team. I realize sometimes the talent gap fades away as you get older and move up in competition.

Well look if you have legendary skills you can achieve. This guy was so good that he was dominating already established fighters with ease. I agree with you if we are talking about a guy who is just good or great. I am talking about the absolute unknown elites.

Some people prefer not having the attention, even if some extra money would be nice. The type that walks into a gym and strips off their hunting camo to train with the pros might very well be that type.

i m soooo good that if i fought mma, i would kill my opponent
so ive opted to stay out of mma

Back