What did Usman, Colby and Woodley do?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
It's hard to look good against Maia. It's really not easy to do that.

Maia literally takes most guys down to the ground one way or the other, against high level wrestlers.

I'm just not sure from laymen's eyes what these guys did that really shut Maia down like they did. Yeah, they were able to get underhooks from time to time, but for whatever reason after Maia got on their hips or leg, they were somehow someway able to shut Maia down.

Enlighten me please.

hes never been good at takedowns particularly- just relentless with that low-high single.

hell, even Anderson had no problem keeoing it standing with him.

any great wrestler who watched tape with good cardio could be coached to defend that in a few prac

All 3 are wrestlers who were able to control/negate his BJJ...

Good wrestling is Maia's kryptonite..

usman was based of being a complete freak. i mean maia shot in a couple times at the right time, even trying to kick out and trip up usmans legs but that dude looks like muscle personified. x-men level strength

woodley and colby made sure maia never got a good hold of their legs. maia looks to get any part of him ontop,or underneath you. these guys never gave him that position

has to be great wrestlin. maia has bested above average wrestlers and all around grapplers. jon fitch(great wrestler), condit, rick story(great wrestler),gunnar,dong hyun kim, la flare.

Last edited:
Crazy how Nate Marquardt was the only one to ever finish Maia and Woodley

They all refused to try and finish an older man while he was doing everything in his power to finish them.

usman was based of being a complete freak. i mean maia shot in a couple times at the right time, even trying to kick out and trip up usmans legs but that dude looks like muscle personified. x-men level strength
It was truly impressive. Maia should have had that man down at least twice. Usman is a cannonball.

The separation in the first round was infuriating.

It was truly impressive. Maia should have had that man down at least twice. Usman is a cannonball.
maia is one of the strongest people WW has ever seen. he gets down even the strong guys like jon fitch and rick story.

thats why i was like 8( )

Cause playing with fire can be dangerous. One bad move and you could be taking a nap. Why do you think GSP of all people kept the fight with Jake Shields standing?

my question is why were all 3 scared to hit the ground with maia?

if they are so strong and have such stellar wrestling backrounds,

why not try to finish the fight?

seems they were all scared of the old man.​

They all refused to try and finish an older man while he was doing everything in his power to finish them.

Can't blame them. Silva didn't try to finish Maia either. He actually ran for half the fight and hid behind the ref at one point.

Maia took the Woodley and Usman fight on short notice

Even still the 3 others did nothing against Maia except stop him from taking them down

Is it good wrestling or just strength?

I'm wondering if maias wins can really be attributed to his BJJ skill or just the fact that he cuts huge amounts of weight and comes into fights big and strong enough to muscle guys to the ground and overpower them.

if he doesn't have this physical advantage he looks desperate and impotent.

my question is why were all 3 scared to hit the ground with maia?

if they are so strong and have such stellar wrestling backrounds,

why not try to finish the fight?

seems they were all scared of the old man.​
The only one I can't defend is Usman... Didn't he say awhile back he wanted to take out Maia and prove he's the top grappler? All he proved is he can stop his takedowns.

The only one I can't defend is Usman... Didn't he say awhile back he wanted to take out Maia and prove he's the top grappler? All he proved is he can stop his takedowns.
he proved he wanted nothing to do with maia on the ground.

his game lacks confidence.

he stuffed those takedowns like his life depended on it.

Is it good wrestling or just strength?

I'm wondering if maias wins can really be attributed to his BJJ skill or just the fact that he cuts huge amounts of weight and comes into fights big and strong enough to muscle guys to the ground and overpower them.

if he doesn't have this physical advantage he looks desperate and impotent.

Have you seen any of his fights at mw? The guy is legit and the idea that he wins fights by size alone is fucking stupid and sounds like it comes from someone brand new to the sport.

Maia was unable to clear his Visa with Chile, so he got one of his 4 identical brothers to fill in for him. 2 of them are native chileans.

maia is one of the strongest people WW has ever seen. he gets down even the strong guys like jon fitch and rick story.

thats why i was like 8( )
His results speak volumes, but I’m not entirely convinced it’s his physical strength that allows him to do so. I think it’s a combination of things. Mainly his mastery of leverage and willingness to drag it down into a position that might not be ideal for most, knowing he can secure better positioning once on the mat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back