What did Usman, Colby and Woodley do?

Have you seen any of his fights at mw? The guy is legit and the idea that he wins fights by size alone is fucking stupid and sounds like it comes from someone brand new to the sport.

maia is legit but couldn't find a way to take down any of his last 3 opponents. repeated the same failed attempts over and over actually. did even really adapt one fight to the next either

if tyron/colby/usman had been smaller than Maia and did what they did I'd say it was because of technique and wrestling but it was pretty clear all three were equal if not much bigger and stronger than maia.

People saying it was the good wrestling but it could just as easily be the size and strength.

It's hard to look good against Maia. It's really not easy to do that.

Maia literally takes most guys down to the ground one way or the other, against high level wrestlers.

I'm just not sure from laymen's eyes what these guys did that really shut Maia down like they did. Yeah, they were able to get underhooks from time to time, but for whatever reason after Maia got on their hips or leg, they were somehow someway able to shut Maia down.

Enlighten me please.

Marquardt did it.
w0i7t0.jpg

Colby's fight should have been stopped in the last 15 seconds of the fight, the ref didn't want maia to get stopped like that in Brazil

Maia literally takes most guys down to the ground one way or the other, against high level wrestlers. Enlighten me please.

Maia literally could not take Woodley, Covington or Usman to the ground where he is obviously most effective. That is what Woodley, Covington and Usman did.

Maia vs. Woodley - 21 attempts, 0 takedowns
Maia vs. Covington - 13 attempts, 0 takedowns
Maia vs. Usman - 15 attempts, 0 takedowns.

Core and hip strength is a real thing.

Crazy how Nate Marquardt was the only one to ever finish Maia and Woodley
Nate the Great was a beast in his prime. I was originally mad at Chael for beating him and messing up Nate vs Andersen 2 (which I thought would have been a stand up fight equivalent to the 4th of July) but he made up for it with beating AS for 4 and a half rounds and allowing AS to pull off that Hail Mary triangle.

His results speak volumes, but I’m not entirely convinced it’s his physical strength that allows him to do so. I think it’s a combination of things. Mainly his mastery of leverage and willingness to drag it down into a position that might not be ideal for most, knowing he can secure better positioning once on the mat.
Yep there are positions that Maia purposely gets into just to get the fight on the ground that would be unthinkable for other people.

Usman was scared to death of going to the ground even though he claimed he would. His striking looked sloppy and uncomfortable. Colby or Woodley will beat him up. I hope he gets the winner of RDA/Colby or Till/Thompson.

Maia literally could not take Woodley, Covington or Usman to the ground where he is obviously most effective. That is what Woodley, Covington and Usman did.

Maia vs. Woodley - 21 attempts, 0 takedowns
Maia vs. Covington - 13 attempts, 0 takedowns
Maia vs. Usman - 15 attempts, 0 takedowns.

Literally that's not what I was asking.

What =/= How

Can't blame them. Silva didn't try to finish Maia either. He actually ran for half the fight and hid behind the ref at one point.

Everyone wants to win... what can ya do. They didn't win me over as a fan tho.

he proved he wanted nothing to do with maia on the ground.

his game lacks confidence.

he stuffed those takedowns like his life depended on it.
Honestly I wasn't that impressed. He looked better against lesser competition. But I guess he broke both his hands so no excuses :rolleyes:

Back