Article on Forbes says the UFC needs to explain

Treeloy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The UFC had a pretty successful event on Saturday, April 21 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J. Kevin Lee brutalized Edson Barboza in the lightweight main event to get himself back in the title hunt. And in the co-main event of UFC Fight Night 128, New Jersey native Frankie Edgar bounced back from a recent knockout loss with a unanimous decision victory over Cub Swanson. Behind the scenes during fight week, things did not get nearly as well for the promotion.

Things started to go awry during the Friday morning weigh-in. One of the first bits of news to come out of that event was that the flyweight bout between Ulka Sasaki and Mahomed Bibulatov was scratched. The reason the UFC pulled the fight from the card was a back injury suffered by Bibulatov. The contest was canceled before either fighter weighed in.

The UFC has no set rule on paying fighters when it scratches matchups during fight week. The usual procedure is that the fighter who caused the fight to be removed from the card, in this case, Bibulatov, goes home empty-handed. The fighter who was ready and able to fight his contracted opponent can face several different scenarios.

When two fights were pulled from UFC 223 after a couple of combatants suffered injuries when Conor McGregor allegedly threw a hand dolly at a bus that was transporting fighters from a pre-fight media event, those individuals received their full show money according to UFC President Dana White. None of those fighters had weighed in for the event when that decision was made.

Sasaki, according to Ariel Helwani, was paid less than half of his show money. Helwani wrote that he was paid $10,000 of his contracted $21,000 show money.

The UFC needs to be consistent in these matters. If a fighter makes it to fight week and is ready, willing and able to fight their contracted opponent, then they should be paid, at the very least, their show money. If the promotion wants to make that fighter weigh-in to earn that payday, then fine, make them do that. I’d argue that fighters in these situations should receive both their show and win money. After all, that amount is already contracted and accounted for by the promotion.

One thing that’s not acceptable is to have fighters – contracted fighters – worrying if or how much they will be paid. The promotion wants to be taken seriously, yet it does these petty things that make it look small at best and vindictive at worst.

Speaking of vindictive – that brings us to Leslie Smith.

Smith was scheduled to face Aspen Ladd in a bantamweight bout, but when her opponent came in nearly two pounds heavy, Smith figured she would see if she could strike a new deal with the UFC.

“I wanted to extend. First I was like, okay, we’ll extend it at $100,000 flat,” Smith told MMAjunkie. “Two fights at $100,000 flat and they were like ‘no.’ Then I put out another offer. I was like okay, we’ll keep the same terms then, but I’d like this fight. They said no still. They elected to pay me my show as well as my win business so that this will count as the last fight on my contract.”

Smith is one of the major players behind Project Spearhead, an effort to move MMA fighters toward a union. One of the first goals of Project Spearhead is to get 30 percent of the UFC roster to sign authorization cards that will then be submitted to the National Labor Relations Board. The NLRB will then decide if UFC fighters should be considered independent contractors, which they currently are, or employees.

By all appearances, the UFC paid Smith, who was ranked in the top 10 before she was released, to go away and thus hurt the chances for Project Spearhead’s success. Smith is listed as the interim president of Project Spearhead. Two fighters who are still on the UFC roster, Kajan Johnson and Al Iaquinta, are the other interim members of the board.

The third misstep the UFC made during UFC Fight Night 128's fight week was booking former NFL player Greg Hardy for a Dana White Contender Series card. MMA Today first broke the news that Hardy, who is 3-0 as an amateur, would compete on an event on June 12.

Hardy’s history is sordid.

He was convicted of assaulting an ex-girlfriend in 2014. Those charges were later dropped after the alleged victim refused to testify when Hardy appealed his conviction. He was suspended for 10 games (later reduced to four) for conduct detrimental to the NFL. The suspension came after a league investigation into Hardy’s alleged domestic violence. The domestic violence charges were expunged from Hardy's record in 2015. In 2016, Hardy was arrested for felony possession of a controlled substance.

Hardy fighting under the UFC banner sends a terrible message. That message is that the potential to make money trumps anything for the UFC.

The UFC made some big mistakes this past weekend and when UFC president Dana White holds his next press conference he should be forced to answer for each of these missteps.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trentr...dy-leslie-smith-and-ulka-sasaki/#4868b9c71437

CLIFFS:

- says UFC needs to answer for certain missteps
- claims UFC should be consistent with its payouts, and the UFC needs to explain why they paid Ulka Sasaki $10,000 of his contracted $21,000 show money.
- claims UFC needs to explain not re-signing Leslie Smith
- claims they need to explain signing Greg Hardy

UFC is a private company they don't need to explain shit

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trentr...dy-leslie-smith-and-ulka-sasaki/#4868b9c71437

CLIFFS:

- claims UFC should be consistent with its payouts, and the UFC needs to explain why they paid Ulka Sasaki $10,000 of his contracted $21,000 show money.
Leslie Smith is easy, she wasn't that good (10-7) and was a problem employee.

"We're not rich enough to pay everyone's win bonus"
*pays Leslie Smith $62,000*

Yeah, this picking and choosing who and how much they pay a fighter when the fight falls out is bullshit, and all the MMA managers need to get together and make sure there is a hard and fast common practice for every situation(even dolly attacks) and make sure every guy who signs or resigns has it in writing.

Agree 100%. Leslie has no case.

“I wanted to extend. First I was like, okay, we’ll extend it at $100,000 flat,” Smith told MMAjunkie. “Two fights at $100,000 flat and they were like ‘no.’ Then I put out another offer. I was like okay, we’ll keep the same terms then, but I’d like this fight. They said no still. They elected to pay me my show as well as my win business so that this will count as the last fight on my contract.”

Does she mean 100k per fight? I surely hope not.

Fook Forbes. And when you down with Forbes then fook you, too.

This is just another example of the UFC treating lower level fighters any damn way they please. I agree there needs to be some sort of balance in regards to how things are handled in situations like this. If this was a team sport they wouldn't be able to get away with shit like this.

This makes divide and conquer so much easier

Last edited:

I woulda thrown that bitch a Fin , A 6 pack & half deck a smokes & told her to get the fuck in there & throw hooks .

She's better than a lot of other women. She had won her last 3 out of 4 fights, with the one lose coming to Cyborg a weight division above, so she's on a 3 fight win streak. If she was a company girl like Paige she would have never been cut on a winning streak.

Pretty sure she meant $100k a fight, if she was making $62k previously.

Looks like she tried that whole "ask for $100k to get $50k" and UFC saw $100k and said fuck off.

Or she was delusional and thought she was worth $100k a fight and potentially $300k a year.

They definitely need to have a consistent policy in place for paying fighters who don't get to fight when their opponent drops out. I seriously don't understand why they don't just make it a rule that they pay the full show money in this scenario.

Other than that, they don't really need to explain shit. Leslie Smith was dropped cause she's not a very good fighter, and they haven't even signed Greg Hardy yet. And if they do, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. They're not supposed to sign anyone who has made mistakes in the past? Greg Hardy should never be given another chance in life? His domestic abuse charges were dropped, so they can't really use that as a basis for not signing him.

CLIFFS:

If the UFC only paid a guy $10K when he was contracted to receive $21K, then I'd like to see an answer as to why. Nothing to explain with Hardy and Smith imo.

What did the UFC say back to Forbes? Did they explain???

If the UFC only paid a guy $10K when he was contracted to receive $21K, then I'd like to see an answer as to why. Nothing to explain with Hardy and Smith imo.

Im guessing it has something to do with him not weighing in but I dont know.

Back