Article on Forbes says the UFC needs to explain

These ingrate fighters need to know their roles and shut their damn mouths.

"We're not rich enough to pay everyone's win bonus"
*pays Leslie Smith $62,000*

Leslie Smith is 1 person ... "Everyone" suggests everyone involved in whatever situation people were expecting win bonuses to be paid.

They paid Leslie's show and win bonus, an amount she only would have earned had she fought and won. I'm by no means a legal expert, but she'll likely waste every penny of that $62k fighting this particular incident alone. The UFC has every right, and zero obligations to renew her contract at all.

Signing Hardy? Good move, I probably would have done the same (as long as the asking price was reasonable).

It would be smart for the UFC to figure out something regarding paying fighters fairly for fights falling through before any possible Ali Act or Union/Association motions gain traction. Getting out in front of it looks good on the UFC's part, playing catch up could be very detrimental.

MMA is one of those weird places where I see people rooting for the house instead of the gambler.

Silicon Valley Tech companies have had similar issues where they had "Contractors" that they treated like employees and they lost. The UFC has around 700 fighters on its roster and if had a base pay of $100,000 per fighter that is a payroll of 70 million dollars which would be still low considering their margins. This could be the beginning of the end of the UFC because before Reebok some fighters made more money in sponsorship than pay (some of the UFC fighters that went to Bellator are making more money total due to a better revenue stream from sponsorship. MMA is here to stay but the UFC is treading on some dangerous ground.

Silicon Valley Tech companies have had similar issues where they had "Contractors" that they treated like employees and they lost. The UFC has around 700 fighters on its roster and if had a base pay of $100,000 per fighter that is a payroll of 70 million dollars which would be still low considering their margins. This could be the beginning of the end of the UFC because before Reebok some fighters made more money in sponsorship than pay (some of the UFC fighters that went to Bellator are making more money total due to a better revenue stream from sponsorship. MMA is here to stay but the UFC is treading on some dangerous ground.
Ufc dont lose to nobody and nobody aint doing shit to them because they run shit

They definitely need to have a consistent policy in place for paying fighters who don't get to fight when their opponent drops out. I seriously don't understand why they don't just make it a rule that they pay the full show money in this scenario.

Other than that, they don't really need to explain shit. Leslie Smith was dropped cause she's not a very good fighter, and they haven't even signed Greg Hardy yet. And if they do, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. They're not supposed to sign anyone who has made mistakes in the past? Greg Hardy should never be given another chance in life? His domestic abuse charges were dropped, so they can't really use that as a basis for not signing him.

I don’t think they should sign a guy of Greg Hardy’s character.

I prefer model citizens, such as Jones and Gus.

You mean a problem consultant
Independent contractors are called consultants regardless of their job? I never knew that, it sounds weird. Surely UFC is not looking to be consulted by Leslie Smith about anything lol.

I don’t think they should sign a guy of Greg Hardy’s character.

I prefer model citizens, such as Jones and Gus.

The bigger issue than his character is that he is 0-0 as a pro, 1-0 if he wins his upcoming bout and he doesn't have a background in another combat sport like Brock, someone like that would be a questionable signing even in WMMA. But NFL! lol

They definitely need to have a consistent policy in place for paying fighters who don't get to fight when their opponent drops out. I seriously don't understand why they don't just make it a rule that they pay the full show money in this scenario.

Other than that, they don't really need to explain shit. Leslie Smith was dropped cause she's not a very good fighter, and they haven't even signed Greg Hardy yet. And if they do, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. They're not supposed to sign anyone who has made mistakes in the past? Greg Hardy should never be given another chance in life? His domestic abuse charges were dropped, so they can't really use that as a basis for not signing him.
I agree that they should have a rule in writing for it but I know why they will never do it. If they have a rule in writing and say Conor ends up in that situation paying him 20mil for a fight that does not happen is debilitating. They want to avoid these type situations for fighters who make a ton of money.

If the UFC treated their fighters so horribly, as some of you are implying, then why isn't Leslie Smith thrilled that that the UFC gave her the opportunity to work for some other organization like Bellator?

Hmm.

So just because that ex NFL guy was a shitty person + got suspended for four games in the NFL several years ago, he is not allowed to make a living as a cage fighter?
What should he do then? Rob people?

So damn stupid how self righteous people will blame a company for getting somebody with a bad past work just to have something to be outraged about and show how much against that type of crime they are. If a person has forsaken their right to make a honest living what should they be doing? Because their only option with no work is to break the law and be of more trouble to society. Maybe you think they should be put down?

And if you argue that kids will idolize the fighters and because of that only saints should be fighters, then maybe you shouldn't let your kid watch the UFC until the kid is old enough to understand that not all people are great role models, or at least old and smart enough to get it if you explain it. A celebrity who the kid doesn't know is a fucked up role model to have to begin with. Try to set a good example yourself. Not like it's a kids show, people beating each other bloody. If you leave your young child alone watching that stuff you are a shitty parent.

Also don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this particular guy. In fact I don't know anything about him and judging from the article I wouldn't want any of my female friends to date him.

Yeah, this picking and choosing who and how much they pay a fighter when the fight falls out is bullshit, and all the MMA managers need to get together and make sure there is a hard and fast common practice for every situation(even dolly attacks) and make sure every guy who signs or resigns has it in writing.
We don’t know the behind the scenes circumstances when this happens. Maybe they offer some fighters another fight on the next card to earn their pay and then they decide not to take it. I would pay them their show pay or win bonus either in that case. Would just cover their expenses for the canceled fight and tell them to wait.

If the UFC treated their fighters so horribly, as some of you are implying, then why isn't Leslie Smith thrilled that that the UFC gave her the opportunity to work for some other organization like Bellator?

Hmm.
I was thinking the same thing. She complains every chance she gets and when they don't re-sign her everyone is angry. I was like this should be a joyous occasion for how much you seemed to hate working there.

So just because that ex NFL guy was a shitty person + got suspended for four games in the NFL several years ago, he is not allowed to make a living as a cage fighter?
What should he do then? Rob people?

So damn stupid how self righteous people will blame a company for getting somebody with a bad past work just to have something to be outraged about and show how much against that type of crime they are. If a person has forsaken their right to make a honest living what should they be doing? Because their only option with no work is to break the law and be of more trouble to society. Maybe you think they should be put down?

And if you argue that kids will idolize the fighters and because of that only saints should be fighters, then maybe you shouldn't let your kid watch the UFC until the kid is old enough to understand that not all people are great role models, or at least old and smart enough to get it if you explain it. A celebrity who the kid doesn't know is a fucked up role model to have to begin with. Try to set a good example yourself. Not like it's a kids show, people beating each other bloody. If you leave your young child alone watching that stuff you are a shitty parent.

Also don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this particular guy. In fact I don't know anything about him and judging from the article I wouldn't want any of my female friends to date him.

The bigger issue than his character is that he is 0-0 as a pro, 1-0 if he wins his upcoming bout and he doesn't have a background in another combat sport like Brock, someone like that would be a questionable signing even in WMMA. But NFL! lol

I mean, the UFC has already jumped the shark with CM Punk, Mike Jackson and noob WMMA fighters with 2 or so fights so this isn't a surprise anymore, but you can see why some might take issue if UFC is supposed to showcase the "best fighters in the world."

I mean, the UFC has already jumped the shark with CM Punk, Mike Jackson and noob WMMA fighters with 2 or so fights so this isn't a surprise anymore, but you can see why some might take issue if UFC is supposed to showcase the "best fighters in the world."

Oh, I see. Yeah, I don't know how that contender series work, but I guess Dana brings in the winners to the UFC huh? Just one fight?
Well, either the UFC will have to bring in even worse, fatter HWs(maybe they won't though, some fat, non-impressive "prospects" right now at HW) or we might get to see this guy get beat up. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Back